DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Cant get data aquisition to work with TunerproRT v5

Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant get data aquisition to work with TunerproRT v5

So I've done quite a good bit of datalogging on TBI computers using a homemade cable and a radioshack usb to serial convertor, but it was always glitchy and would disconnect randomly on both my old laptop and my new(er) laptop. Im trying to tune a 7730 TPI setup now so I figured I'd buy a cable to make life easier, but I cant get it to work at all.

I bought http://www.aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp this cable, downloaded the drivers off the included cd rom. It shows no problems with the drivers in device manager on my HP laptop running Windows 8.1 and device manager says everything is working normally on the com port 4 and under usb controllers (usb serial converter)

I have a modified copy of Ultm8z's miniram bin for my setup, running S_AUJPv5 2030_D_3.xdf. I have S_AUJP v5 2030_D_2WBo2 Innovate LC-1.adx loaded as the definition file. I go to tools, preferences, Data Acq/Emulation tab. Then I picked use plug in for interface type, tunerpro acquisition i/o interface for the plug in component, then I clicked configure plug in component. I set the port to 4 like it was in device manager, but when I click test it says cable not connected or functioning (tested at 8192 baud). This is with the cable not connected to the vehicle. When I click the dual blue arrow button it will have a pink looking box at the bottom of the screen that says connecting, but it never does.

If I choose elm327 OBDii interface driver component it will go to the blue connected screen, and if I then click back to tunerpro acquisition i/o interface and hit apply, it will alternate blue connected/ red error but i still get no data. If i restart tunerpro it wont show the blue connected box until i toggle back and forth between these settings.

The drivers in device manager say:

USB serial port (COM4)

provider: FTDI
date: 9/28/2016
version: 2.12.24.0

status says "This device is working properly."

Anybody see something I'm doing wrong? Because I've messed with this thing for 4 hours over two nights now and I just want to get some datalogging done so I can finish this thing up.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Cant get data aquisition to work with TunerproRT v5

Try completely removing the FTDI USB driver, reboot laptop, re-install new driver (from CD). Then see if the port works.

There have been issues in the past with HP laptops and FTDI USB drivers. Apparently there is a fragment of a driver factory installed which prevents the port from working. Only full removal and re-install fixes this.

RBob.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

I'll take a look at my settings later today and see how it compares.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Just a quick update. I removed all the ftdi usb and port related drivers I could find on device manager this morning, even the hidden inactive ones. I rebooted the laptop, and manually installed the drivers that came with the purchased cable. It still gave the not functioning or not present error while testing in my house (no vehicle). I reuninstalled everything FTDI related and let windows automatically install drivers and it installed the same version driver I had manually installed. Still no dice. I uninstalled and manually installed again, went out to the shop. It still wont communicate with the trucks 7730 ecm. So I hooked up my homemade two transistor cable and radio shack usb to serial adapter, changed the setting in tunerpro to com5 from com3 (which is the new cable com port) and I have data coming in with my homemade cable. I was able to verify my vss is now working (It didnt on the inital test drive and I had stalling issues I believe related to the throttle follower not working as a result).

At this point I can at least use my homemade cable to start tuning tomorrow (rain today) and start getting this truck dialed in, it sometimes gives errors and will ocassionally lock up though which is inconvenient. Im going to call the toll free number from the company I bought the cable from next week and see what they have to say unless anyone else has something for me to try. I may also install tunerpro on my dad's laptop and try it since its an asus and not an hp just incase Ive somehow still not gotten what RBob posted about squared away on mine.

Anyway, I will report back if anything improves and check back to see if anyone else has any info for me, Thanks again for the help Rbob and Ultm8z
Old 06-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

Here are the Tunerpro settings I'm running (I have a Dell Inspiron 640m running Win7)

Under Tools, Preferences, Data Acq./Emulation tab...

Interface type = Use Plug-in

Data Acq.I/O Plug In component = TunerPro Data Acquisition I/O Interface

Pushing the button for Configure Component, the dialogue box pops up and has Port Type = Serial and my port number = {COM5}

The two boxes are checked for Load last Data Acq Def at Start and Warn of ADX/XDF Link Mismatch.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by ULTM8Z
Here are the Tunerpro settings I'm running (I have a Dell Inspiron 640m running Win7)

Under Tools, Preferences, Data Acq./Emulation tab...

Interface type = Use Plug-in

Data Acq.I/O Plug In component = TunerPro Data Acquisition I/O Interface

Pushing the button for Configure Component, the dialogue box pops up and has Port Type = Serial and my port number = {COM5}

The two boxes are checked for Load last Data Acq Def at Start and Warn of ADX/XDF Link Mismatch.
Yea, that's the same thing I show other than the com port number, which is to be expected.

At this point I'm going to start datalogging with my homemade two transistor cable. I'll call the cable manufacturer next week when I have a slow time at work and see if they have anything else to try. Since the homemade cable is working as good as it ever does that shows me theres no issue with tunerpro, its something with my hardware or a driver issue. Especially since the homemade cable uses a different driver altogether. Its a prolific instead of FTDI. I may still try to borrow Dad's laptop and try it too. That would point to it being an issue with just my laptop if it works on his.

Search this Thread