Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

front wiper arms "park" in wrong position??

Old 06-24-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro /65 Lemans
Engine: 305 vin H / 396-375 hp (Real)
Transmission: 700R4 / 4sp
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi / 4.88 posi
front wiper arms "park" in wrong position??

Hi all
I'm putting back together 85 camaro sport with 2 speed wiper and put the vent/wiper area cover on and tried to attach the arms but they are pointing into the engine bay and the "center" one will not fit inside the space provided in the vent/cover. I don't believe I ever touched the arm mechanisms, but did get a new/rebuild motor as the other motor had a problem.

I just switched the position which I had the linkage attached to the slot on the back of the motor the only other way it would go and that points the wiper arms up on the windshield.

The motor works and when you turn it off it goes into the "park" cycle as it should. The only thing I can think of is that the rebuilt motor when it goes into park is not set in the proper place.

Has anyone ever heard of this and is there anyway to adjust the position of the slot in the back of the motor when it is in park?

The wiper set up i have has the center wiper arm that fits over a rectangular piece with a sliding door on the wiper arm to hold it in place. the drivers arm is the usual slotted type and only goes on one way
thank you in advance for your help
tom
Old 06-25-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: 700r4 600hp, 650 lbs-ft
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi
Re: front wiper arms "park" in wrong position??

My pops and I replaced the wiper motor on mine a few years back, The timing of the motor is very sensitive since the interior of the motor is a bunch of working plastic pieces. If not careful they will snap and you'll have to get another, if you still have the original motor, tear into it and make sure the rebuilt one is in the same position as the old, that should help reset the arms to go into park in the right position, if not you will have to manually move the wiper arms in position to work right, but be careful, because like I said, the interior motor is very easy to break.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 AM

thank you for the reply- You mention "manually move the wiper arms in position to work right". I was not aware a rather large adjustment to the position of the arms at park was possible. Can anyone explain how this is done? The only thing I see is the 2 little screws that hold the rods together behind the motor that appears to only allow a tiny adjustment
thanks again
tom
Old 06-25-2017, 01:39 PM

Car: 88 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: 700r4 600hp, 650 lbs-ft
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi

Sorry on that note, I dont believe the wiper arms able to be moved. So, instead you are going to have to make sure the wiper motor's tach that is inside is in the right adjustment spot, and the only way to make sure its right is to run a test, be sure to have another person on hand to listen for the motor binding, if the motor binds it will break the parts. Like I said before, if you still have the original wiper motor, tear into it and see where the gears and tach are line up and sync the new one as so. That will make the job very easy and should function as normal.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am

Might be a good time to upgrade to a smaller Nissan wiper motor.

I'm waiting on parts for my bench power station, and then I'll figure out the wiring for it on the bench before attempting my install.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM

Make sure the lever that bolts to the motor is on correctly. Also have replaced the park switch on the old large wiper motors, usually they would not park.
Joe
Old 06-26-2017, 03:47 PM

Are there any wiper experts out there that would "know" mechanically/electrically how the wiper cover may or may not affect the position of the arms at the park" position????

The thing I just remembered since it's been a few years since I put this in, IS, the "blue pointer on the old cover was broken off, so I just put the cover and washer pump back on the new/rebuilt motoer and it seemed to work fine as stated above, but not at that time putting on the wiper arms, now thinking that maybe this cover problem may impact where it Parks the arms??

anybody know what a broken off blue pointer in the cover would impact functionwise??
tom p.s. not wiling to upgrade to a Nissan motor
Old 06-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Problem solved
It turned out the the 2 screws that connect the transmission arm to the motor crank bracket, the attaching arm is slotted about 1/2" and that offers alot more adjustment to the wiper arm position at park than I thought it would. Thus I loosened the screws and moved the trans arm as far as it would go and it moved the wiper arms enough to the correct position.
thanks for your assistance, sometimes a day or 3 pondering a problem helps to solve it.
tom

Search this Thread