TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 problems with hesitation on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:57 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
87 problems with hesitation on acceleration

Hi there...so about 4 months ago I bought a 87 IROC with the 305 TPI in it...took it to my mechanic, he's going thru the car now...slowly, and told me I needed a new rear main seal. I'm somewhat familiar with the seals and the purpose they serve. However, and I didn't get a chance to ask him over the phone, upon medium to hard acceleration coming out of 1st and sometimes 2nd the car sometimes stumbles...like a bump bump bump bump go type of feel, and takes off. It only does it in these 2 gears and if I'm taking of normal usually will not do it. Any idea what that is? My friend said it could have something to do with the seal...and or clutch is wearing out prematurely? Vacuum leak as well maybe? The car does seem to idle fine...however I will note it does grind sometimes when I try to put it into reverse...I feel like you kinda have to get it in there just right and find it, and or maybe the idle is too high...idk. Didn't know if maybe that was linked to a vacuum leak and or separate issue all together.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: 87 problems with hesitation on acceleration

When was the last time the injectors were cleaned and flow tested... or replaced?

Is your mechanic capable of reading live data and correctly interpreting it? A lot of shop are not equipped for pre-OBD II vehicles anymore. Even if they have the scan tool it a knowledge base problem as well. Not many techs familiar with the old hardware.

GD
Old 06-26-2017, 06:37 PM
On Probation

I honestly could not tell you when the injectors were cleaned . I bought the car from a consignment shop and I don't know a whole lot about the cars history of its maintenance it's been done to it. So is it safe to say that you would rule out that the oil is slipping on the clutch plate and making it had that hesitation you think it's more of a fuel issue?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Yes it sounds like it's probably lean on acceleration.

Rear main seals, as a general rule, don't get oil on the clutch. It would have to be REALLY bad for that to happen. Usually the oil is flung off the flywheel if it gets on it, and for it to get back onto the disc it would have to be a large quantity so that it was raining back off the bell housing onto the clutch components.

The injectors on these were not the best and seem to be prone to bad behavior when old and especially when they get hot.

Some datalogging would be in order to find out for sure what's going on. You're mechanic may or may not have this ability. You should ask. DO NOT let them troublshoot this symptom if they don't have the right equipment. They will spend a bunch of money and likely come up with the wrong "solution".

GD
Old 06-26-2017, 08:25 PM
On Probation

Thanks for the advice. Well we will find out...he has worked on my 04 explorer for years...well "they have" And always done a great job. They have always been honest and affordable and I believe have some "old school" guys there. More of a mom and pop place. I will wait until they get the seals and other things done...there kinda taking there time on the repairs bc it's not my daily driver. I mentioned a tune up and to ur point he kinda didn't say much and said some thing. It definitely wasent a "yeah man that's easy" response...maybe to echo ur point. I do know they have worked on older cars tho...and currently are working on an iroc that sat for 20 years and got it running, his accountants...so maybe that's a good sign haha
Old 06-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

For sure. Sounds like they probably have it under control then. I just see a lot of cars that come to me from other shops. Lots of people in the repair business that can't do diagnostics even on modern stuff. Throw them a curve ball with something 30 years old and they are really lost.

GD
Old 06-27-2017, 12:28 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
For sure. Sounds like they probably have it under control then. I just see a lot of cars that come to me from other shops. Lots of people in the repair business that can't do diagnostics even on modern stuff. Throw them a curve ball with something 30 years old and they are really lost.

GD
Thanks I guess we will know how under control things are when the car comes back...but at 65 bucks for labor rate an hour its hard for me to want to take it else where...does kinda suck though when you have an older car like that, that is not your daily driver and they know it the shops seem to drag there feet some. Guess that's the benefit to doing your own repairs. I'll try and keep this thread updated on what goes on, overall though, I just want my car back so I can drive it with the GF to a breakfast in the mornings and things of that nature .