TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about freeze plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Question about freeze plugs

Hi everyone...first off I'm no master mechanic...I know how to change alternators, starters, spark plugs, fuel filters etc. So I just educated myself on freeze plugs. I recently about 4 months ago bought me an 87 IROC-Z which I will take to the grave with me btw . Anyways...I took it to my long time trusted $65 an hour mechanic to give her a good look over...so he has had the car a little while now, and went to replace the rear main seal, no problem right. Well he called me and said that he noticed a freeze plug was leaking so he went to replace it and damaged a bearing??? Honestly I was so sort of shocked and confused I didn't really think to ask what bearing it was...I assume camshaft bearings? Anyways, him being honest, said he would have to tear down the entire top end of the engine to replace the bearing with no charge to me! So I told some of my friends, and they said he will have to replace the seals and what not...was this a benefit for me...sounds like I'm basically getting a rebuild...and technically if he finds things wrong which I guess is good then he would have to replace it...bc my intent was to never tear down the engine in the first place. Thanks guys!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird
Re: Question about freeze plugs

Wait, what bearing did he damage? Which freeze plug did he change? How can he see that he damaged a bearing anyways???? If he damaged a bearing it was probably spinning the tires and over revved the engine.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:55 PM
On Probation

Yeah who knows...maybe it was a different plug? Like I said I'm no expert...I though he said in the bottom area? His exact words were, in the process of removing the plug I damaged the bearing...and he is taking apart the entire upper end of the engine he said...maybe he wasent telling me the whole truth...idk...him and the other guy are extremely honest ppl though...so yeah. I don't want to bother them...they have had the car for 2 months now...and to my approval have been taking there time going thru it mechanically and fixing things when they have had time and I haven't been buggin them...they have already done quite a list of things to it...this was the last part (replacing the rear main seal)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:36 PM

Ok, yeah, they didn't. Your mechanic is bending you over and..... Pretty much, talk to a lawyer, and take them to court.

Last edited by brettr81; 07-19-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: wrong usage of your/you're/yore
Old 07-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Freeze plugs do not touch ANY bearings. Now, he may have damaged a crank bearing doing the rear main seal, but not with freeze plugs. Talk to him about what happened, record it, do not let him know you are suspicious. Freeze plugs are over the coolant passages, you SHOULD NOT have coolant near any of your bearings in the engine.

Your mechanic is full of it. Go over what happened with him. Record it, telling you what happened, and take it to a lawyer, because he is committing fraud.

Hence, why I don't take my car to a mechanic. I've had them try to do and have done stuff like that to me, almost every time I've taken my car to a shop.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 PM
On Probation

Well...yeah I don't want to go overboard just yet...he has done work on my Ford Explorer for many years and has always had more than fair prices and takes good care of his customers...let me ask what happened on Friday. Maybe he misspoke or something of that nature. I drive an hour just to take it to his shop, that's how much I like and trust the guy. He said something about having to shim a bearing??? So maybe it was the crank bearing while doing the rear main seal....you know come to think of it I don't think I remember him saying it was exactly a freeze plug...it was just some plug...so maybe that's whats it. Like I said I'm no expert with cars...and was just trying to get some clarification or insight on here is all...he said he is going to pay for all the damages and not charge me for any additional labor...so I'm not too upset...if he fixes everything back to normal free of charge like he says, and I'm sure will do I have no gripes really.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

If the mechanic admits fault, and isn't going to charge for the repairs, how is he 'bending over' anyone?

There is a plug in the back of the camshaft bore, maybe that's the one he did the damage while removing. There IS a cam bearing right behind it, and changing cam bearings would require a top-end teardown.......

Might wanna call and have a chat with him, if there was anything you wanted to do in the area he is going to be in anyway........ now would be the time to do it.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Oh, yeah, I didn't read the free of charge part. That happens sometimes, when you're severely farsighted and never wear you glasses/contacts. If it's a free tear down, then yeah, he's treating you good. Wish more mechanics were honest about their work, and what they replace and why.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Did ya know....
We call them freeze plugs, but that's not really what they are. They are holes left in the engine block that allowed the casting folks to drain the sand out of the newly cast block. Then they hammer in a brass or bronze plug to seal the water side of the block.

Honestly, I've never seen an engine freeze and those plugs pop out....lol
Old 08-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Well there are some near the cam bearings... Small ones... 3 in the front and 3 screw in type in the rear. I have no clue how he would of damaged them tho...
Old 08-20-2017, 08:35 PM
On Probation

Hey guys! So I have had the car back for a while...sooooo just a little small recap, not that you guys care. But yeah...so the top end got rebuilt...picked up the car and she ran great!

So my issues...got the car, drove it home...smelled anti freeze, was running a tad bit warm...so I popped the hood...well looked like the thermostat housing was leaking from the top like around the bolt hole area. Okay so long story short...I called him...told him about it...and he tried to shrug it off...I was also upset bc I had already spent 1600 total with parts and labor...and when I went to add anti freeze into the reservoir it looked like baby throw up was in there! So when he had the car, he changed the radiator...thermostate and bottom and top hoses which by the way the top one was way too long and needed trimming. So I was like...why would you replace all that and not think to call me and ask about a 40 dollar reservoir jug? So anyways i said screw it...I took of the thermostat housing, replaced the gasket with one recommend from awesome ppl on here...and replaced the radiator jug. Then took it to a new mechanic to get a pressure test done! It passed . Well the housing was cracked where they had used an impact gun probably...also the bolts on the intake manifold I believe that are the torx bits...looked like they used an impact driver on them and there stipped the hell out...look ppl...I'm no car expert...but I'v worked on 38 million dollar apaches for 12 years...I know what maintenance operational checks are and attention to detail...the thing that got me upset was that I felt like there just was such lack of detail...and patients when the car was worked on. For god sakes man, you have a really nice IROC-Z in ur garage not some shitty new Honda, have some respect for history. So anyways...got that done, of course they used a **** ton of RTV to seal the thermostat housing and NO gasket.

Anyways...so then AFTER he had dropped the tranny to replace the rear main seal and the car was out the door ready to go, he says...o yeah and by the way I think ur clutch bearing is bad, or thowout bearing. I said really? He said well I didnt hear it until now??? I'm like huh...thats interesting why didnt you replace it when you had the tranny out? So I said okay I'll pay my bill and get back with you on the clutch bearing. So I took the car to a new guy to get a pressure test done on the cooling system and this bearing checked out. Now I know this mechanic bc he works at the parts store. Him and there guys said "Man there aint nothing wrong with that bearing"...he thinks that my old mechanic probably spent so much money labor doing that top end that he was trying to gain back his loses. He ALSO paid for bolt, and other parts during the top end rebuild he felt were bad and or for all I know he damaged...so total in parts was around 300 and new seals...then his time and labor...I had been using the guy for years on my explorer...but he had the car for 3 months and I had to really stay on him, and I was not updated well at all during the time...so sadly I had to cut him off...plus he is an hour away but his labor is only 65...my new mechanic is 95 an hour! O and I did a recent carfax...my new mechanic replaced the cooling u shaped by pass hose for the cooling system and THAT was on the carfax...nothing my old mechanic did was...whats that tell you? The new place cost more...but way more detailed!