Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.
View Poll Results: What kind of coolant/washer tanks???
Stock White Plastic Tanks?
77.78%
Custom Fabbed Aluminium Tanks?
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Stock White Coolant/Washer bottles or Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Stock White Coolant/Washer bottles or Custom?

Guys, I'm fixing a bunch of the little odds and ends that quite frankly, I don't really use anymore. I used to not care that I didn't have a washer pump, or remote hatch release etc. etc., but as I get older (and hopefully more wise) I feel my car is no longer "cool" with my custom washer pump delete option, I feel my car is just....broken. LOL. Haven't used my wipers in YEARS, let alone the washer pump, but......as I said......unless it's a race car, I think these parts should work.

So....

I currently have NO washer fluid tank, and I have a custom coolant tank. Pic shows this. Since I've decided I'm going to put my washer functionality back in the car, I need a washer tank. Should I go with some sort of custom, black fabbed tank to kinda match the coolant tank, or go back with the stock, white plastic tanks for both washer fluid AND coolant? I'm not concerned with the hassles of custom fabbing a tank and pump mount. -and I'm not concerned with the eventual yellowing and replacement of the stock white tanks. I'm aware of all this. I'm concerned about appearance.

...and here's the rub. My car has always been some combination of "stock appearing/hot rod performing" mixed with a pinch of what think I GM "should've" offered (at least in my head, lol). I've always struggled with where is the line between mod and original. Where is the "less is more" line, and where is less actually well....LESS!? My car has always walked this line, and sometimes is crosses that line. ...and I can't always tell you which side I'm trying to be on!

I'll stop talking. White tanks or custom fabbed alum/black tanks?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: Stock White Coolant/Washer bottles or Custom?

If you can keep the white tanks clean and unweathered the stock tanks look great on a detailed engine bay. Alternatively I think you should have those tank mounting humps removed from the wheel arches and smooth them out. Follow FueledSoul's write up for making a set from pvc and mounting in the front bumper area. There is the Ford Explorer (?) option also that the tank is under the battery. Or you could just put any old tank underneath the front trays.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Yeah...there are certainly options other than the two I presented. I guess my feeling is "sure, I can find a place to put em out of the way", but SHOULD I? Going with the less is more theme and keeping it stock is kinda what I like. But then again, sometimes ya just HAVE to fix certain things. Ugh...I go back and forth!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Stock plastic tanks here and no intention of changing. I like to be able to see through the tank to observe the fluids, both quantity and condition. I don't care about car shows though so I tend to be a function over form person under hood.

Also, those little designer boutique tanks like you have are a sad excuse for an expansion tank. Couple months ago I threw a belt without knowing it and lost water pump. By the time I shut off the engine my stock expansion tank was almost full. It's as though it was sized correctly or something like that.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The stock washer tank actually doesn't discolor much if kept clean. The overflow tank however tends to yellow from the antifreeze, or maybe I just need to flush my coolant more often.. hmm...

With the custom touches already under the hood, I could go either way on the tanks. I seldom let my thirdgens get dirty enough to need to use the washer pump. It's highly likely the washer fluid in my thirdgens is a decade old. Aside from the initial fill-up after maintenance, and a few heat cycles thereafter, I don't often look at the coolant level in the overflow either. So I'm not sure there's any advantage to a transparent tank in either case.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Personally I love the look of clean white tanks with nicely defined lettering on the caps. The question is whether you can maintain the fluids to keep them looking nice, especially with the coolant. I may have to try some rust conversion or something on my engine followed by some inhibitor because no matter what I do I keep getting deposits in the bottom of the overflow. But if you can swing it, seeing the nice bright green coolant in a white bottle is worth keeping it imo.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 PM

Well, I'm not concerned with the ACTUAL functionality of either the washer or the coolant overflow. I've never had issues with overflow, and I do have that line running inside the fender in the event of an actual overflow. Can always refill later. ...and I haven't used the wipers in 10 years probably. But again....I like when stuff works, and I want these things to function. My concern is appearance. I was SOOOO happy to get rid of those white tanks. Years later, I seem to be drawn more to a "stock" appearing engine bay, assuming it's clean and detailed, and I almost like the white tanks MORE than something cleaner...like what I've got now. Guess what I like has changed as I get older.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Well, I'm not concerned with the ACTUAL functionality of either the washer or the coolant overflow. I've never had issues with overflow, and I do have that line running inside the fender in the event of an actual overflow. Can always refill later. ...and I haven't used the wipers in 10 years probably. But again....I like when stuff works, and I want these things to function. My concern is appearance. I was SOOOO happy to get rid of those white tanks. Years later, I seem to be drawn more to a "stock" appearing engine bay, assuming it's clean and detailed, and I almost like the white tanks MORE than something cleaner...like what I've got now. Guess what I like has changed as I get older.

I appreciate the feedback.

I'm in a very similar predicament. I have never liked the look of the plastic tanks, and I'm not really interested in aluminum tanks of the same dimensions - in other words, the overflow tank and the windshield washer tank just take up too much room and have too much prominence for my taste.

And, like you, I've never used the washer and don't think that the overflow tank serves me any particular use. But, also like you, I like it when things work.

Even though I'm doing an LS conversion, there is still something to be said for "stock appearance" so I'm still kinda on the fence. I may keep the stock plastic stuff (doubt it), or I might just discretely run an overflow hose and sacrifice the functionality of a windshield washer (I've literally never used it).

I haven't been too wild about any of the smaller (usually cylindrical) tanks I've seen so far. They tend to look a little awkward and out of place.

I'll be watching this thread to see what people can recommend.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 PM

Mine isn't quite this clean, but I think it shows that when the CAR is clean....preeettttyyy much anything looks good!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA

Old 08-20-2017, 07:40 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by Linson
I may keep the stock plastic stuff (doubt it), or I might just discretely run an overflow hose
The overflow tank is used every time you drive. The volume of the cooling system increases with heat and the fluid needs somewhere to go. If you just run a dump hose then you'll keep losing fluid and replacing it with air.

Also you won't be allowed to be at a race track without an overflow tank. You cannot drop fluid onto a track because it can cause someone to lose traction and wreck.

Abubaca, an undersized coolant reservoir will dump fluid on the ground. Putting the dump hose in your wheel well will drop that fluid on your tires. You could lose control of your car right when you don't want to.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 08-20-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

If you aren't going for the smoothed look like Tibo mentions, and you aren't using the space for anything else, then why not go with factory bottles?

Your engine (beautiful), mega TPI system with duct work, and STB are the visual focal points. Custom tanks are just a distraction.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

You can buy, heck you can cheaply make a make a coolant over flow tank in just about any size you want. There is sufficient room under the bumper or front trays.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:29 PM

Abubaca, an undersized coolant reservoir will dump fluid on the ground.
I completely understand how they work, but even with my undersized tank, I've never had it happen. That tank "might" get 1/2 full. Besides, the value of a larger tank is that you don't lose fluid...not that in the event you run hot, it somehow keeps it cooler. You don't recover that overflow until it's cooled back down, obviously. In the event I overheat, TRUST me, I'm fully aware of checking EVERYTHING before I drive again. ....regardless....I'm leaning towards plastic tanks as you suggest.

Also you won't be allowed to be at a race track without an overflow tank. You cannot drop fluid onto a track because it can cause someone to lose traction and wreck.
Agreed.

If you aren't going for the smoothed look like Tibo mentions, and you aren't using the space for anything else, then why not go with factory bottles?
Agreed.

Your engine (beautiful), mega TPI system with duct work, and STB are the visual focal points. Custom tanks are just a distraction.
Agreed. - and THANK YOU!!!

You can buy, heck you can cheaply make a make a coolant over flow tank in just about any size you want. There is sufficient room under the bumper or front trays.
Agreed, but as DynoDave mentions, since I'm not using that space, why NOT use stock bottles?