TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going insane. Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going insane. Fuel pump issues

I have a 89 rs camaro. V8. 305. Fuel injected. 150k miles. I bought a spectrum premium fuel sending unit and replaced it due to issues with my gas needle never reading correctly. The car ran great for 3 weeks then I was going down hill and and lost power to everything. The car completely died. Well it ended up being the fuel pump. We supplied power to it and it wouldn't kick on. So we bought a new one and I drove the car maybe 20 minutes down the road and same thing happened. Both times the car had to be towed home. The car cranks and cranks but won't start. From what we can tell without dropping the tank is it's the fuel pump again. Any suggestions on what it can be? What can cause a fuel pump to burn up twice? Did we Get two bad pumps? Bad sending unit?
Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 5spd
Re: Going insane. Fuel pump issues

Partially plugged fuel filters are a very common cause of GM in tank pumps to fail. Also wiring connectors at the pump tend to get loose and cause resistance to go high. Sometimes youll see the connector is discolored when you pull it out. You'll notice a lot of new pumps come with these connectors in the box.