LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

AC bracket options

Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
AC bracket options

With the change to the UMI Road Race K member, I need to relocate the FBody AC setup to a high mount AC with a different compressor. Has anyone used the Holley R4 compressor bracket with the LS FBody accessories? Or the Kwik Performance AC bracket with the FBody accessories? If you have, can you post pictures of how it sits in the engine bay? I need to relocate the AC, the catch can, and the heater control valve as part of this move and want to see some builds to get ideas on where everything will end up when I'm done.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 AM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi
Re: AC bracket options

i don't have the holley bracket as of yet i'm not at that point in my swap but i will be using it with the factory R4 compressor.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

These might help you...

Old 09-20-2017, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I have the Holley setup with the R4 compressor in my car. It sits basically in the stock 3rd gen location, but slightly closer to the outside, and the compressor is rotated a bit so the AC lines are pointed more downwards. I had to use the small overflow and melt it slightly so the lines were not pressing against the side of it
Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

I plan on running the Kwik brackets. I looked at the holley ones and they are are a great choice to help offset the cost of a swap. However, the stock compressor is so ugly I had to get rid of it.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The Kwik brackets with a Sanden compressor seems to work ok for me.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by johnw999
Which compressor is that? It doesn't appear to be the one they sell on the Kwik website.

Also which motor mounts did you use? The motor seems to sit lower and clear the heater hoses on the firewall better than a lot of others.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You are perceptive! I bought a Sanden compressor from eBay. It was labeled as 4514 SD5H14 Sanden Style Compressor SD508. Also, I used the Hedman LS engine conversion kit.
http://paceperformance.com/i-8185596...smissions.html

Another member was selling a set of new Hedman long tube headers that were made for thirdgen cars with an LS engine. The price was good, so I bought the headers from him. Then I bought the Hedman swap kit, because it was supposed to work well with the headers. So far, I haven't had a problems with that set-up. I think I'm the only thirdgen member that's using it, though.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS LT1 Swap
Engine: LT1 5.7L
Transmission: 4L60E

Originally Posted by johnw999

This is the same set up my buddy has on his LS2 72 Chevelle, only his is the Holley. It looks basically the same and works great. Same compressor too.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:28 AM

Finally decided on an AC mounting options. Kwik Performance sells a low mount mini compressor system. This unit clears the UMI Road Race K member and all the other hoses, frame rails, steering linkage, etc in the low mount position. Hoses come off the side and route under the heater lines on the water pump.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Beater79TA
Finally decided on an AC mounting options. Kwik Performance sells a low mount mini compressor system. This unit clears the UMI Road Race K member and all the other hoses, frame rails, steering linkage, etc in the low mount position. Hoses come off the side and route under the heater lines on the water pump.
Thank you so much for sharing this. I was just looking in to this set-up but wasn't sure if it would still clear the RR UMI k-member. I hated the thought of running the high mount AC Kwik bracket. What spacing did you get or is it universal to retain the AC dedicated belt?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone
Thank you so much for sharing this. I was just looking in to this set-up but wasn't sure if it would still clear the RR UMI k-member. I hated the thought of running the high mount AC Kwik bracket. What spacing did you get or is it universal to retain the AC dedicated belt?
It comes with a belt and tensioner. You order the brackets based on the rest of your accessories / crank pulley spacing. I used the FBody option on this one. I also ordered the compressor from them along with the adapter fittings for the compressor. This allowed me to re-use the Hawks hoses I already had.

3 things to know before going this route. 1) It uses a 1 wire AC compressor so you'll have to cut the plug on your harness and put a bullet connector on the power wire to activate the compressor. 2) While I used the Hawks AC lines, they aren't optimal because the hose mounting point has moved about 6 inches forward. At some point, I will bleed off the charge and put on custom built hoses to get a better fit. If you're in a time crunch, their hoses will work. 3) The hoses will be much easier to install without the heater hoses installed. I did it with the heater hoses on and it is difficult to get a wrench on the AC lines to tighten them.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Supporter/Moderator

It comes with a belt and tensioner. You order the brackets based on the rest of your accessories / crank pulley spacing. I used the FBody option on this one. I also ordered the compressor from them along with the adapter fittings for the compressor. This allowed me to re-use the Hawks hoses I already had.

3 things to know before going this route. 1) It uses a 1 wire AC compressor so you'll have to cut the plug on your harness and put a bullet connector on the power wire to activate the compressor. 2) While I used the Hawks AC lines, they aren't optimal because the hose mounting point has moved about 6 inches forward. At some point, I will bleed off the charge and put on custom built hoses to get a better fit. If you're in a time crunch, their hoses will work. 3) The hoses will be much easier to install without the heater hoses installed. I did it with the heater hoses on and it is difficult to get a wrench on the AC lines to tighten them.
Good info here. I am running the Vette spacing so I am not sure if this will work for me since they are closer to the engine. Do you know roughly how much space you have between the compressor and your K member? Also, thanks for the heads up on the wiring and hoses. Mine will all be custom but this is good info for anyone reading this.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Good info here. I am running the Vette spacing so I am not sure if this will work for me since they are closer to the engine. Do you know roughly how much space you have between the compressor and your K member? Also, thanks for the heads up on the wiring and hoses. Mine will all be custom but this is good info for anyone reading this.
I can measure actual space this weekend. My motor is as far back as the motor mounts will allow it to go and has about a 1/2 inch of clearance now. With the vette accessories being 3/4 inch further back, this will likely still work if the motor isn't shoved all the way back on the k member. On the next build I'm moving it all foward about a 1/2 inch to allow for installation of the Holley trans cross member. The car originally had a BMR k member in it that pushed everything back. When the UMI piece was swapped in, we didn't reposition anything in order to not have to make a new driveshaft right away.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Supporter/Moderator

I can measure actual space this weekend. My motor is as far back as the motor mounts will allow it to go and has about a 1/2 inch of clearance now. With the vette accessories being 3/4 inch further back, this will likely still work if the motor isn't shoved all the way back on the k member. On the next build I'm moving it all foward about a 1/2 inch to allow for installation of the Holley trans cross member. The car originally had a BMR k member in it that pushed everything back. When the UMI piece was swapped in, we didn't reposition anything in order to not have to make a new driveshaft right away.

My goal was to use the Holley engine and trans mounts but it doesn't look like there is a way to easily make the holley brackets mount to the UMI pad. However, the new style LSX UMI mounts seem to have more adjustment built into them. It might be worth the gamble.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:22 PM

My goal was to use the Holley engine and trans mounts but it doesn't look like there is a way to easily make the holley brackets mount to the UMI pad. However, the new style LSX UMI mounts seem to have more adjustment built into them. It might be worth the gamble.
From the recent install of the k member, it looks like I could move the motor another half inch forward with no issue before I start wondering about oil pan to k member clearance. That should give you enough room to mount it with Corvette accessories.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Supporter/Moderator

From the recent install of the k member, it looks like I could move the motor another half inch forward with no issue before I start wondering about oil pan to k member clearance. That should give you enough room to mount it with Corvette accessories.
Which oil pan are you running?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:25 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

GM makes a high mount bracket now for the pad mount AC compressor that comes with LS engine.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19355805.html
Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 PM

Which oil pan are you running?
Factory FBody pan.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
GM makes a high mount bracket now for the pad mount AC compressor that comes with LS engine.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19355805.html
Problem I have with the high mount units is interference with the heater control valve and the catch can.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Factory FBody pan.
Perfect. I really appreciate the insight here. You have helped me solve my problem.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:07 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

Hey, Shifty, I know you've built a serious engine and just want to make sure you realize the F-body windage tray is not full length because the pan is too shallow up front. Everything in the front crank bay (cylinders 1 & 2) will be exposed. Dimensions of most common oil pans is here,

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post6193942

Last edited by QwkTrip; 03-07-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:29 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Hey, Shifty, I know you've built a serious engine and just want to make sure you realize the F-body windage tray is not full length because the pan is too shallow up front. Everything in the front crank bay (cylinders 1 & 2) will be exposed. Dimensions of most common oil pans is here,

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post6193942
Thanks for the heads up. I am running the improved racing windage, crank scraper and sump baffles, but with a stock stroke length. Hopefully, that does the trick. If not, I'll have to explore dry sump. I have used your post extensively when exploring pans.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-use-a-stock-90-95-tbi-ac-bracket-on-an-ls-motor.16827/

Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Billgluckman
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-use-a-stock-90-95-tbi-ac-bracket-on-an-ls-motor.16827/

Holley makes a similar bracket. The stock compressor is inefficient and not suited for the high reving LS motors. However, it can be a cost effective solution and can blend to give it an OEM look

Search this Thread