History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Trans am turbo GTA

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:33 AM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Trans am turbo GTA

So I recently seen a period correct trans am turbo GTA road and track I believe review. I by no means am a trans am knowledgeable person. But they mentioned u could get the turbo WITHOUT the racecar decal. Is that true? Also was there any rpo code for the decal delete? Also what's the going rate for these with low miles etc?
Old 10-15-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Trans am turbo GTA

Originally Posted by jeremyb1988
So I recently seen a period correct trans am turbo GTA road and track I believe review. I by no means am a trans am knowledgeable person. But they mentioned u could get the turbo WITHOUT the racecar decal. Is that true? Also was there any rpo code for the decal delete? Also what's the going rate for these with low miles etc?
Yep, don't know, $40k+ nowadays
Old 10-15-2017, 03:04 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed

Wow...40k plus...didnt think they would go for that much.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The door decals came in a box along with some other trinkets, so the buyer could install them if they wanted, or leave them off.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

you can get a decent turbo ta that has some miles on it for mid teens and a real nice low mileage one you'll be paying in the twenties for it ..
Old 10-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 tta
Engine: turbo v6
Transmission: 200r4

i've sen a few as low as 10k that looked good except paint.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

These cars bring good money when they are all original with miles under 30K miles. Under 30K miles and the asking price is usually high $20's if not $30K or more. 35K - 50K miles & the price seems to be close to the $20K mark. 60K miles & up & the prices continue to slide well below 20 & into the upper teens. I think a $10K TTA would have to be a pretty rough car with a bunch of miles on it? Don't see those too often, but no doubt they are out there. Condition & originality obviously play a big part in the price, I'm making pretty broad pricing & I'm assuming all the cars listed look good for the miles on the clock. There are obvious exceptions in both directions in condition & price with documentation & owners playing a fairly big role. This is just my very general observations over recent years

These cars are just like most 3rd gens. The lower the miles, the quicker the price goes up.

Last edited by F-body-fan; 10-16-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:50 AM
On Probation

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am KITT Replica
Engine: LU5 305 CROSSFIRE
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3:23

Seen one last year in SF bay area for $5K.................YES !! $5K

THink it had around 140-150K miles

Interior was rough, But it still had the turbo and I think driver fender needed replace.

Dave

Last edited by 3rdgenparts; 10-17-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

As an owner of one of these, I can tell you that in the TTA community, these cars are ALL OVER THE PLACE in pricing. Right now there are around 4 for sale on fleabay. A lot of owners just want to get rid of these and price them too low, others are in the middle, and then the rest are out of the atmosphere. The TTA SHOULD be up near the pricing of the Buick Grand National but seem to be behind. Hoping in a couple of years this will get better. They turn 30 in 2019. Some say this will be the turning point.....lets hope so.
Mine is a 29000 miler, 2 owner car, mint shape, and not modded. If I was to sell, it would be in the 25k range. But that's just me. Don't know if I would get that or not.
PS: Don't take the Mecum auctions on these too seriously. Mecum boys don't push the car enough so the bidding stalls. I watched one roll across the block and 47 seconds, yes, 47 seconds....it was over. The owner lifted his reserve, and the hammer fell.
Seen that a lot.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
As an owner of one of these, I can tell you that in the TTA community, these cars are ALL OVER THE PLACE in pricing. Right now there are around 4 for sale on fleabay. A lot of owners just want to get rid of these and price them too low, others are in the middle, and then the rest are out of the atmosphere. The TTA SHOULD be up near the pricing of the Buick Grand National but seem to be behind. Hoping in a couple of years this will get better. They turn 30 in 2019. Some say this will be the turning point.....lets hope so.
Mine is a 29000 miler, 2 owner car, mint shape, and not modded. If I was to sell, it would be in the 25k range. But that's just me. Don't know if I would get that or not.
PS: Don't take the Mecum auctions on these too seriously. Mecum boys don't push the car enough so the bidding stalls. I watched one roll across the block and 47 seconds, yes, 47 seconds....it was over. The owner lifted his reserve, and the hammer fell.
Seen that a lot.
I would pay 25K for yours before I would pay 17K for the 58K mile one I was telling you about last week. As far as Mecum goes, I also heard you can have somebody shill bid on your own car, However if you win, you pay both the seller & buyer fees. No doubt that would be in the interest in profit for Dana & the crew. keeps the excitement up & the money rolling in. When I heard about that happening I started to wonder some of the cars that have the "SOLD" sticker on the window"

They also have bidders in the crowd driving up the price near the reserve to see if they can get that one magical next bid. Thats no secret & they don't try to pretend it is. Ever notice a car go flying up to a number, it stalls & then the seller lifts the reserve after a meeting & there are no more bids after the reserve is removed? its because its the last live (real) bid on the car. it happens a lot & there are cars sold with virtually only 1 or 2 real bidders.

But no doubt there are a pile of them that need no help & they get all real bids

Last edited by F-body-fan; 10-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Thanks for the compliment F-body-fan!
I hear you there! I get a kick outta watching Mecum. It is entertaining at times. When you start adding up all the Buyer/Seller fees, admittance, prime show date/times, Dana and the boys are racking up.
I'm pretty sure that I'll continue to buy mine the old fashioned way.....LOTS OF RESEARCH and to be VERY careful. I've seen people buy "supposedly" fantastic cars....sight unseen, and when they arrive at their garage door, they are nothing like described in the ad.
I look at it this way, If you have the funds to buy a high dollar car sight unseen and have it shipped to your door, you should have the funds to actually go and check it out. thoroughly.
I went on a 36 hour "Whirlwind Quest 2014" for my TTA. It was in Schamburg Ill, northwest of Chicago. I left Huntsville Alabama at 0600 in the morning...got to the owners at 5pm...looked and drove the POS. Come to find out, this car was messed up bigtime. So I left Chicago the next morning at 7am, cut over to St Louis and looked at the one I own at 3pm...and continued towards home arriving at around 1130pm. Made the deal the next day and had it shipped with no surprises. Was it worth all the driving, tiime, and money......I want to think so.
People need to remember one very important thing......There's some good deals out there and then there's junk. Just be cautious.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 PM
On Probation

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am KITT Replica
Engine: LU5 305 CROSSFIRE
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3:23

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
I look at it this way, If you have the funds to buy a high dollar car sight unseen and have it shipped to your door, you should have the funds to actually go and check it out. thoroughly.
I went on a 36 hour "Whirlwind Quest 2014" for my TTA. It was in Schamburg Ill, northwest of Chicago. I left Huntsville Alabama at 0600 in the morning...got to the owners at 5pm...looked and drove the POS. Come to find out, this car was messed up bigtime. So I left Chicago the next morning at 7am, cut over to St Louis and looked at the one I own at 3pm...and continued towards home arriving at around 1130pm. Made the deal the next day and had it shipped with no surprises. Was it worth all the driving, tiime, and money......I want to think so.
People need to remember one very important thing......There's some good deals out there and then there's junk. Just be cautious.

BRAVO !! This is the way to do it on a high $$$ car !!!

Dave