Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

I hate mice! Need a little help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: 86 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I hate mice! Need a little help please!!

I have been severely hit by mice while storing the ROC! I know, I know, but...let me state that I have had this car for around 12 years and never had this kind of problem storing this in the same place as always, even when it sat out for a while before I did the body work. Anyways, went to drive it home to get it ready for the 383 swap I have for it and it was totally dead after putting in a new battery. Got to looking it over (dark in there) and saw they had chewed some wiring up in the engine bay. (god I hope that's all the wiring they got to). I have fixed what I have found so far, except the new plugs (that's next), but I cant figure out this wire. I have the Haynes but I guess I don't understand it because I cant locate it. I searched and searched on here butt found it only pointing me to a sender for the water temp on the 1st cylinder on the DS of the engine. I looked but see where this goes. It's in the loom for the ac clutch/compressor and is solid green. I have another solid green just like it going to the clutch on the ac. this is the 86 auto TPI. Anyone know what this is for sure? (sorry pic is upside down-wont let me rotate). its the green wire bent up in very middle coming out of the loom
Attached Thumbnails I hate mice! Need a little help please!!-20171020_173555.jpg  
Old 10-20-2017, 07:30 PM

Re: I hate mice! Need a little help please!!

Also this has 5 wires, 2 that go to the ac clutch, 2 that go to the compressor, and this one that I don't know where it goes.
the wire colors are: light green w/black
green w/ white
black
green
and this green one I don't know
I opened the loom to see if it was part of the green one attached to ac, but its not.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

It goes to the sending unit for the temp gauge. The sender itself is between the #1 & #3 spark plugs.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 PM

So it is the water temp sending units wire? I crawled underneath and pretty sure I see it but there is absolutely nothing left of the wiring coming out. How does it attach? I mean did it have some kind of wire with it new, that attached to a plug or something? Thanks for your help on this by the way.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

The sender itself is between the #1 & #3 spark plugs.
http://www.autozone.com/engine-manag...05_520149_8456

The original one may have a "button" or "mushroom" style connector on it. This one is the same, and the original connector would fit it; OTOH, it'll be much less trouble to put a ¼" slide terminal on the wire for this one.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 PM

Yeah I was looking at those and the "mushroom" type but they didn't look like what I have. It's just a straight piece coming out of it without the mushroom top and a super small pin hole. That's why I didn't originally think it went there. Can't find one just like it either. My issue was what to connect to the end of the chewed off wire. Guess I'll look for a blade type for ease of install on the 383. Thanks man, u saved me some time and stress over this silly thing. Just wanted to make sure I got things right BEFORE I try to start installing this 383. Boy I got a big learning curve ; )
Old 10-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

It's just a straight piece coming out of it without the mushroom top and a super small pin hole.
Sounds like the connector piece of that is just broke off... needs a new one anyway.

There are 2 such temp gauge sending units, one with ½" pipe threads, and one with 3/8" pipe threads. Most likely, unless your heads have been changed to earlier-model ones, you need the 3/8" kind. Not sure which the one I linked you to is. If you get the 3/8" version but need the ½", you can just get a brass bushing at HD or the like.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a mice problem too. I leave the hood open all the time when it is parked. This keeps them from thinking it is a safe place to nest.