Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issue

Hey new owner of an 87 Firebird 305 v8. Machined the flywheel .002, changed the clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot and release bearings with an all in one kit verified proper parts. Clutch fork pivot screw all the way in, replaced slave and master cylinders, and bled the hydraulic lines. Only getting 3/4inch stroke on the slave cylinder and experiencing clutch drag. The release bearing is moving, applying pressure to the fingers, and not binding. The slave pin is not adjustable neither is the clutch pedal. Any suggestions?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Clutch issue

¾" is as much as you'll ever get at the SC.

Check for this condition.

One other thing that will cause the clutch to seem not to release, is the pilot bearing/bushing. I notice that you didn't mention that in your post. ???

This one has a bearing. A bushing works fine too, if in good shape.

People always seem to want to modify this system somehow. I have never been able to figure that out. It works GREAT if you use the right parts and assemble it right. No rod length changes, no adj pivot ball, no NONE of that. Just do it right and it'll work right.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:58 AM

Okay, improper release bearing mount. I even have a pic ahowing it done wrong. Now about the pilot bearing. I changed the one that fits inside the flywheel. Is there another one futther back or is that the one you were refering to?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Yup, putting the TOB on that way GUARANTEES that the linkage won't have enough travel... it has to move almost the whole distance that it normally does, just to move the business surface of the fork up against the TOB, before it can even begin to move the TOB.

That spring thing is supposed to be inside the groove in the TOB to hold the fork solidly up against the surface of the TOB it pushes on, so that IMMEDIATELY as soon as the fork begins to move, it moves the TOB.

It looks like there's a pilot bushing up in the crank where it belongs. That's the only one.

Fix the fork spring error, it should work MUCH better then.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Not excited to drop the tranny out for the 3rd time in a week but at least i have a start point.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:28 AM

Problem fixed. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Sure do! Wish it wouldve worked the first time round but what can you expect when youve never so much as changed your own oil and then decide to change a clutch based on youtube vids haha��