Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Exhaust dump right before axle? Any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Exhaust dump right before axle? Any issues?

...so I've been kickin around making some changes. I've got the electronic cut out I never use, the fancy polished dual dual tips out back....I just wanna go simple. I measured, and have room for a smaller muffler (spintech for example) to go right below the cat heat shield. Then I could take the normal route back to the axle, and dump.

Any reason NOT to do this?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi
Re: Exhaust dump right before axle? Any issues?

Could get some drone in the cabin from the sound bouncing of the ground and into the floor of the car. I never ran a dump on my car so I couldn't tell you for sure. Just something to think about..
Old 11-16-2017, 04:54 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

It isn't clear to me what your goal is. Are you just trying to incorporate a cutout, or are you wanting to eliminate the tailpipes showing in the back?

Last edited by QwkTrip; 11-16-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 AM

It isn't clear to me what your goal is. Are you just trying to incorporate a cutout, or are you wanting to eliminate the tailpipes showing in the back?
I find that when I stare at the googles for hours, then try to wrap it all up into one quick post, I often am not very clear!!!!!!!

No, seriously though, I mention the cut out only to illustrate that I feel my current set up is over thought. I'd like to go simple. Simple appearing with no tail pipes out back, simple functioning with no fancy cut out, simple fab, with minimal bends. I've had the car for 20 years, and feelings, ideas and opinions change. I just wanna go simple. ....the cost in actual dollars and labor hours to swap exhaust systems, when spread over that time in minimal. I figure what the heck, try something new.

I'm just looking to see if there's legitimate reasons NOT to do it. mgg4591 mentioned drone, which is of course a possibility. I thought about fumes too. I dunno....just looking for feedback I guess.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I've had mine dumped before the axle for the last decade. As long as as you use a turn down that points the exhaust down you don't have any real problems. If it points straight back you will have the rear components and floor pan covered in black.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Been reading..... a lot of the Fox body guys angle them, down, back, and to the side at about a 45. Seems to be a good balance of balancing resonance, fumes and coating everything with black.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I don't like seeing the exhaust tips out the back also. I have a Borla system on my car, and if I ever get around to it, I plan on removing the dual/dual tips and just putting slash cut straight pipes in to replace the tip, and tuck them so you can't really see them from the back. IMO that would be the least amount of work for you, just leave what you have and "fix" it
Old 11-16-2017, 10:26 AM

IMO that would be the least amount of work for you, just leave what you have and "fix" it
My system has been cobbled together over the years, I've had a couple different high flow cats, the cut out, part of the old hideous SLP loudmouth I pipe, etc. etc. ....from the header Y pipe, the cat/I pipe actually slowly travel down hill, and I've actually scraped the bend where the I pipe bends up to go over the axle. I'm sick of that, and want to redo everything and make it all fit "right". .....that's when I started thinking I may not go back with what I had. It'll all be out anyway.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Been reading..... a lot of the Fox body guys angle them, down, back, and to the side at about a 45. Seems to be a good balance of balancing resonance, fumes and coating everything with black.
You turn the tips down and slightly in and that kills some resonance but the fact is that it will still be loud.

Turn downs before the axle are simple and light, but the exhaust resonates between the ground and the floor pan, almost effectively turning the floor pan into a massive sub woofer and there is NO way to make them quiet (If you've ever stood next to a car with a healthy engine and turn downs you'll notice that you _feel_ the bass in the exhuast note much more than if the same exhaust was pointed out the back or the side) . In the car with a full muffler they'll be louder than out the back with no muffler.

The disadvantage with what you're suggesting otherwise is that the further forward in the exhaust you mount a muffler the more affect it has on power. You are best off running as much exhaust as you're going to run, muffler and then tip.

My exhaust for years (on 4 different f-bodies, it literally got swapped from one to the next) probably meets your requirements- Headers/y appropriate to the car, large diameter intermediate pipe, Dynomax Ultraflow Welded behind the axle and a short tailpipe and turndown right before the bumper. You can't see it from behind, it's quiet (my car is quieter than most stock/near stock f-bodys with any cat back, most people think it's stockish, simple and flows better than I'd bet 90% of the exhausts on here. I've recently added a cutout to the intermediate pipe, dumping right in front of the axle for strictly superficial reasons, I got tired of being the quietest guy every time a bunch of my car guy/f-body friends got together, but I still mostly drive it closed.

Last edited by 83 Crossfire TA; 11-16-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:14 PM

I have no tips showing on my car. At one point I thought the tips out the back was bad ***. But taste changes and now I like the clean look of no pipes showing... at least for now. I modified my old hooker catback and welded in an slp muffler to a 90 degree bend. Then used a 3 inch steel turn down from autozone and welded it all together.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:38 PM

83 Crossfire - I hear ya...thanks for the feedback. Do you really think a muffled dump under the car would be louder than open pipes out the back? Not arguing, I really don't know.

I may do something to what you or mgg4591 have.

mgg4591 - dude, that looks AWESOME. As you say, I bet you can't really see anything from regular viewing angles. Not a huge fan of the SLP (been there) but I love the way you did that.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 PM

83 Crossfire - I hear ya...thanks for the feedback. Do you really think a muffled dump under the car would be louder than open pipes out the back? Not arguing, I really don't know.

I may do something to what you or mgg4591 have.

mgg4591 - dude, that looks AWESOME. As you say, I bet you can't really see anything from regular viewing angles. Not a huge fan of the SLP (been there) but I love the way you did that.
Ha thanks. Yea Im always swapping out mufflers. Went from a magnaflow, to a hooker, to a flowmaster 40, to a flowmaster 10, then to the loudmouth 2. Before the loudmouth a had the same pipe routing but just straight with no muffler. Idle sounds INSANE with the cam, but driving is unreal loud at wot. I swap back to the straight pipe from time to time, but what i really need is a cutout. Here’s a shot of just the straight pipe, and the slp off the car. Same tucked away routing.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:04 PM

I like that a lot. The whole set up, with the interchangeable muffler flange. I think we have a winner.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:52 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

Full exhaust is the way to go (fumes and sound). When I see a dump before axle it just leaves me with the impression of cheap, half-*** work, boy-racer kind of stuff.

Just do a single in/out muffler in the back with a hidden turn down tucked behind the bumper. Sound bouncing off the ground will make the interior more loud but that's the sacrifice for a clean look.

Hawks Motorsports sells a fantastic 3.5" system with V-band flanges for LS swapped cars. Not sure if they sell it for SBC or not. If not, then check with Stainless Works who manufactures the kit. There is a good view of the tailpipe in the video below.

As far as sound, you just never know what you'll get until it is done. As long as you can avoid the "rap brap brap brap brap" noise then it's a win. And there is one universal truth --- build a fast car and it will sound good. I have an stroker LS with sizable cam, you have a stroker SBC with very mild cam... I guarantee they will sound different. But one thing will be consistent and that is that Stainless Works manages to keep idle sound very strong while not being too loud (like Magnaflow) at wide open throttle. It's a good system for being noticed cruising the parking lot but not blowing out your ears on the way home. It's not quiet though. I sure wouldn't want to be any louder. A quick rev or WOT can bother my ears. It is quite a bit louder than the video would lead you to believe.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 11-17-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I like the pipes semi hidden like the factory did it, unless you have a SLP totl.
No matter how they are angled, dumps under the car will coat things black over time and under certain conditions you'll have fumes in the cabin.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
That's EXACTLY how I want to re-do my tips on my car.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by TTOP350
..........dumps under the car will coat things black over time and under certain conditions you'll have fumes in the cabin.
I daily drive my car , summer , winter , any day with no snow on the roads I drive it . Now , as a daily driver which is properly registered and insured , I am required to get an inspection sticker once a year .....

During this inspection , no emissions are checked because the car is too old for that (in my State , pre OBD2 are safety inspection only) and safety items only are checked .

One of the biggest safety items they check for on an old car , especially an old racy looking car , is a "factory proper" exhaust system , in other words one that is not loud and , the important part here ; One that runs to the back of the car . Any exhaust that dumps under the car or even in front of the rear axle is verbotten and will earn the car a "rejection" sticker , and since this is a safety and not emissions deficiency the car is illegal to drive till the safety issue is rectified (emissions rejection has 30 days to be repaired but the car IS legal to drive during those 30 days)

So I ask the Original Poster , DO you register and insure your car for road use ? And ARE you required to get an inspection sticker every year ? And if yes to both DO you have a friend in the inspection place that'll let an improper exhaust system slide and give you the sticker anyway ?

Where I live (Taxachusetts) , If your car isn't inspected within 30 days of the due date , the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) sends a nasty letter threatening to cancel the vehicle's registration within the next 30 days if the vehicle isn't inspected (gotta love the fact that the inspection stations are all tied into the RMV so they know which cars have active registrations with no inspection on record) .

Land of the free huh ? Not when it comes to modifications to your car , at least not in the "People's Republic of Massachusetts"
Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 PM

That's EXACTLY how I want to re-do my tips on my car.
Agreed. I like that.

So I ask the Original Poster , DO you register and insure your car for road use ? And ARE you required to get an inspection sticker every year ? And if yes to both DO you have a friend in the inspection place that'll let an improper exhaust system slide and give you the sticker anyway ?
I'm in North Carolina. It's pretty loose. Pre OBD2, you basically just go to cashier at the inspection station and pay. They've been considering dropping it all together, but it hasn't quite happened just yet.

It's funny because growing up in NY/NJ you just assume "that's the way it is". It's not til you get out that you realize that most of the country is actually pretty normal. I'll never go back!

Last edited by Abubaca; 11-18-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Agreed. I like that.

I'm in North Carolina. It's pretty loose. Pre OBD2, you basically just go to cashier at the inspection station and pay. They've been considering dropping it all together, but it hasn't quite happened just yet.

It's funny because growing up in NY/NJ you just assume "that's the way it is". It's not til you get out that you realize that most of the country is actually pretty normal. I'll never go back!
Believe me my Friend , there have been plenty of times I wished my State was like yours about old cars , but no , Massachusetts seems to want all cars more than 10 or 15 years old to still be picture perfect , and in the real world that just ain't happening . Part of the reason I was SO happy to get my car (originally from Florida) is that is has not one spot of rust , top and bottom , and rust is another of those things like loud exhaust , an automatic fail with the excuse being that "fumes could get in through the holes" , what a bunch of BS when we're talking surface rust on the quarter panels ! (yes a buddy was given a rejection for just that , rust that hadn't yet progressed to full blown rot)

God Bless North Carolina and any other State that's cool with old cars !
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z28
Engine: Carburated small block 454
Transmission: Level 3 Raptor 700R4 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73 S Trac Posi

I've had no problems dumping in front of the rear axle and it does not drone in the car on the highway.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

at one point a long time ago I ran headers into 2 high flow cats and straight pipes out to dual 3", no muffler. On another car I ran dual 2.5" turbo mufflers (about the quietest "performance" muffler) and turn downs. The one with the turn downs was MUCH louder, almost unbearable in the car. Behind the car it can go either way but inside the car it WILL be louder.

Originally Posted by mgg4591
Ha thanks. Yea Im always swapping out mufflers. Went from a magnaflow, to a hooker, to a flowmaster 40, to a flowmaster 10, then to the loudmouth 2. Before the loudmouth a had the same pipe routing but just straight with no muffler. Idle sounds INSANE with the cam, but driving is unreal loud at wot. I swap back to the straight pipe from time to time, but what i really need is a cutout. Here’s a shot of just the straight pipe, and the slp off the car. Same tucked away routing.

This is virtually identical to mine.

If I remember right my intermediate pipe started as a stainless SLP pipe, though it's been cut up and modified a few times, and cut it and put a standard 3 bolt flange in the back before the muffler.

The Dynomax Ultra flow welded is my default muffler, but I've run an SLP TTL muffler, stock 4th gen TA muffler/tailpipes, glasspack/bullet, aerochamber, magnaflow, a couple of homemade setups with different tailpipes configurations, a turn down right at the flange, a tailpipe all the way like he has it... I'm sure tons of others. I usually paint my back section black to hide it even better.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a 70 1/2 camaro with a tpi motor and 2 chamber flomasters dualed out with 3 inch pipe and turn downs before the rear end and it was loud but then it was loud before the turn downs also but at a certain speed you picked up up droning or like was mentioned before like bass but i like to hear my exhaust and never had problems with fumes either