TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOSCH lll INJECTOR OPTIONS

Old 11-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
BOSCH lll INJECTOR OPTIONS

So I know that some of you have been inquiring about alternate injectors other than the Bosch lll's. We are still selling them and they are in stock. However, to give you guys some options, we decided to stock the 22lb Delphi injectors for the 350's. They are the same as the old style Multecs. They do not require an adapter for fitment. We also have the Bosch gen 4 24lb, 27lb, 36lb and up. Plug and Play wire adapters will be included in the price. These injectors are new. We don't have them listed on the website yet however they are in stock. If anyone is interested in them give us a call and we'll honor the 15% Black Friday discount. 516-442-4707
Attached Thumbnails BOSCH lll INJECTOR OPTIONS-img_1759.jpg   BOSCH lll INJECTOR OPTIONS-img_1762.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: BOSCH lll INJECTOR OPTIONS

What is the price of the 22lb Delphi injectors? And do you have them for the 5.0L
Thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Sponsor

Received 642 Likes on 567 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
What is the price of the 22lb Delphi injectors? And do you have them for the 5.0L
Thanks
For 305’s they have Bosch 2 injectors
https://www.southbayfuelinjectors.co...1985-1992.html
Old 11-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Thanks

The cost for the set is $419.99 but we will give you the 15% off for black Friday so it comes out to $356.99
As tuned performance mentioned we have the bosch gen ll's but if you guys really want the Delphi's in 19lb I'll get them
Old 11-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

I have been wanting to swap these Bosch III's I got from you guys ever since I got them. Budget wise that won't happen til early next year, but very happy you're stocking something else.

If there's any partial return options, let me know.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Sponsor

like I said we still sell plenty of the bosch lll's and people are very happy with them.
However I hear everyone's frustration so we want to help as much as possible.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

I have used the 22b Delphi injectors in 2 of my 5.7L cars. Fit perfectly, and awesome performance. Would buy them again if ever needed.

Question though, are the ones SB sells as pictured, or do you have all stainless body? I seem to think my Delphi 22s are all stainless, and wanted to ask - not that it probably matters for performance. Thanks,
Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

they are as pictured...the stainless might be lucas would have to look up the part number for me to tell you. Really will not make a difference. If it is a lucas it's a decent injector
Old 11-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by southbay08
like I said we still sell plenty of the bosch lll's and people are very happy with them.
However I hear everyone's frustration so we want to help as much as possible.
.. and to clarify, you will not offer a partial return for customers like me, who have been unhappy with the Bosch IIIs since day 1? All I ever heard in response to my complaints was that "everybody loves them, sold a bunch so can't have any issues" , but it's come out that no, not everyone loves them. Apparently enough people dislike them for you carry a different injector.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Sponsor

look, I sell these injectors day in and day out. I never said that you weren't having any problems with them. I told you back then that I did not have answer as to why you were having a problem with them when I knew the injectors themselves were fine.
What could I tell you, Yes, 98% of my customers that purchase the injectors love them.
Why would I say that they "can't have any issues" I never said that. Really, would that make sense? I'm not poo pooing the issue. Just the way you say that not everyone loves them... well not everyone doesn't.
Anything can happen and we all know that. I am carrying another product to offer other options because someone on the forum inquired about it and I realize that SOME of you are not a fan of the bosch and that's ok.
Why didn't you ask for a refund from day one? I would have issued the refund without a problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by southbay08:
KyleF (04-26-2021), windjammer167 (01-17-2021)
Old 11-22-2017, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

It always seems there's this holier than thou stance... 98% of your customers probably don't even know what a BLM is. Either way, it's not really worth my time to go back and forth as that's not what I was going for. I was just hoping for an act of good-will from a well regarded vendor.

Apologies for the bother.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Sponsor

Holier than thou?? I'm not getting into this with you again. If you wanted a refund you should have asked for one when you bought them.
People on this forum and some...Know that we would turn ourselves inside out for our customers. Enough said
Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

I don't recall anything more than being involved in discussion threads, so I don't know where this "again" comes from.

You'll certainly turn yourself inside out for customers, but when it comes to rectifying a problem, maybe not so much. Sorry that I didn't immediately blame the injectors and tried *everything else* to get things to run properly with them. I guess doing due diligence is not in my favor.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SouthBay, are you still offering the rebuilt 24 lb Bosch III's for sale? I just checked your site and they did not show up. What do you have as a replacement in rebuilt?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Sponsor

Hi, yes. They are listed in the TPI section on the website. If you have difficulty finding them just give us a call at the shop let us know that you're from thirdgen and we'll take care of you. The black Friday sale ends at midnight on Tuesday.
516-442-4707
Old 11-23-2017, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: auto

I don't know about issues with SouthBay- but I had problem with the crap ethanol blended fuel here in California causing all sorts of seal rot issues and leaks with my injectors.
SouthBay sent me a batch of seals, no questions asked, to replace mine and I could not be happier with their customer service!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Question - is there any offset data available on the 4's?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Sponsor

Hey man sorry for the delayed response. Yes, we have the data from Ford motorsports
for the 24lb bosch 4 injector
Old 12-04-2017, 02:25 AM

Car: 86 Camaro Z28/ 87 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0L TPI LB9 / 5.0 TPI LB9 w/cam
Transmission: Built 700R4 with Transgo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt Posi/ 2.73 10 bolt Posi

Originally Posted by thtanner
.. and to clarify, you will not offer a partial return for customers like me, who have been unhappy with the Bosch IIIs since day 1? All I ever heard in response to my complaints was that "everybody loves them, sold a bunch so can't have any issues" , but it's come out that no, not everyone loves them. Apparently enough people dislike them for you carry a different injector.
What kind of problem did you have with the injectors? My friend gave me a set of the Bosch D3's that had very few miles on them (he decided to go carb) and we tried like 4-5 times to get them to seal but they would always leak at the top of the fuel rail. For the brief time they did seat correctly, they were incredibly loud. Some of the O-rings would just not seal and a few of them just ripped. We used Dawn like it said in the instructions. We tried inserting them into the fuel rails first and then we tried inserting them one by one into the manifold first and then putting the fuel rail down on top. ( I read what was posted in the various Bosch D3 threads on here).

I ended up buying a screen and O-ring kit for the stock injectors that came with some new lock rings off Ebay. Mine were the Rochester units so I thought they were worth redoing because I enjoyed how nice they worked before. I pulled the screens out and put new ones in and replaced the O-rings. Then dabbed some vaseline all around the rings and put the clips in place. They were incredibly easy to install compared to the Bosch injectors. I still have them on the car and the car seems to be running well.

I am just curious to hear what your experience was.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 w/Paxton
Axle/Gears: 3.27

For all of the injectors pertinent to 3Gs I would be interested in knowing impedance as part of technical data.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Lucid
What kind of problem did you have with the injectors? My friend gave me a set of the Bosch D3's that had very few miles on them (he decided to go carb) and we tried like 4-5 times to get them to seal but they would always leak at the top of the fuel rail. For the brief time they did seat correctly, they were incredibly loud. Some of the O-rings would just not seal and a few of them just ripped. We used Dawn like it said in the instructions. We tried inserting them into the fuel rails first and then we tried inserting them one by one into the manifold first and then putting the fuel rail down on top. ( I read what was posted in the various Bosch D3 threads on here).

I ended up buying a screen and O-ring kit for the stock injectors that came with some new lock rings off Ebay. Mine were the Rochester units so I thought they were worth redoing because I enjoyed how nice they worked before. I pulled the screens out and put new ones in and replaced the O-rings. Then dabbed some vaseline all around the rings and put the clips in place. They were incredibly easy to install compared to the Bosch injectors. I still have them on the car and the car seems to be running well.

I am just curious to hear what your experience was.
I had no leakage issues. Install was quick and easy honestly.

My issue is mostly to do with idle fueling. At idle, my BLMs are 160+ and it's not as smooth as it should be. Everything has been changed more than once, including a full engine rebuild, so to me it's down to the injectors. Others also note improper fueling at idle. At WOT everything seems decent, but my car isn't a race car, so I want fueling happy across the board.

All I know is I am super disappointed in SouthBay's response. Where they had an opportunity to make an issue right, they simply throw their hands up in the air, and blamed the customer. I won't be spending another dime with them and will be actively telling everyone to avoid them like the plague. Simple customer service would have gone a long way!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Car: 86 Camaro Z28/ 87 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0L TPI LB9 / 5.0 TPI LB9 w/cam
Transmission: Built 700R4 with Transgo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt Posi/ 2.73 10 bolt Posi

I had no leakage issues. Install was quick and easy honestly.

My issue is mostly to do with idle fueling. At idle, my BLMs are 160+ and it's not as smooth as it should be. Everything has been changed more than once, including a full engine rebuild, so to me it's down to the injectors. Others also note improper fueling at idle. At WOT everything seems decent, but my car isn't a race car, so I want fueling happy across the board.

All I know is I am super disappointed in SouthBay's response. Where they had an opportunity to make an issue right, they simply throw their hands up in the air, and blamed the customer. I won't be spending another dime with them and will be actively telling everyone to avoid them like the plague. Simple customer service would have gone a long way!
These injectors do not really seem like a drop in replacement. For a lot of people, they flow too much at idle and require tuning. I luckily, had already a G1 adapter and a bunch of chips to burn already so it was quite easy for me to make the appropriate adjustments and to burn a new chip.

I think you might have to purchase a chip with the settings changed or get into DIY prom burning and make the changes yourself.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...or-sticky.html
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 AM

Hmmm... I just put in Bosh IIIs and was thinking the same thing - seems rich at idle, but doesn't the ECM compensate?
Old 12-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

It does up to a point...

It can compensate by changing the fuel trim in closed loop where the Learn Control is active.

But if it's doing significant compensation there, that only means that the fueling areas with no feedback via the O2 sensor where the Learn Control is not active (i.e., WOT, open loop, accelerator enrichment, start up fueling, etc) are going to be off. For those fueling areas where the O2 is not paying attention to O2 sensor feedback, the ECM is just blindly commanding the injectors based on the values in the calibration. If it doesn't "know" the right flow rate and characteristics of your injectors you're going to get something different out of your injectors than what the ECM is commanding.

Which means, roughly speaking, the ECM is making a, say, 50% fueling change in closed loop operation, that means that your other fueling areas are going to be off by that amount and the ECM will not be able to compensate for that.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 AM

It sounds like I either need to find a local shop that can fix the tune, or I have a lot of reading to do
Old 12-20-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3:42

The Bosch lll might actually be an improvement over my 28LB ls1 injectors the PO/PO put in. Smells like a gas pump at idle.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will tell you my 305 wouldn't run on the 19lb ACCEL injectors. Otherwise stock. BLM's were way high. Above 4000 RPM's, it would starve for fuel.

I have the ACCEL 21 lb injectors now, and it's running fine.
I want to try the 22 lb's with the stock prom, but I never did. LB9.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI (Deleted Cats)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Original 3.27

I know this thread hasn’t been that active in the past couple months but does anyone have a tune for me to burn on a chip or know any chip companies that sell the chip for this issue? Im 16 so im not exactly sure how to do this and i dont wanna F anything up.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by brianlibby791
I know this thread hasn’t been that active in the past couple months but does anyone have a tune for me to burn on a chip or know any chip companies that sell the chip for this issue? Im 16 so im not exactly sure how to do this and i dont wanna F anything up.
I'll try to help you. What injectors do you have? Any other modifications?

GD
Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
I'll try to help you. What injectors do you have? Any other modifications?

GD
Bosch D3 22lb injectors. Only modifications are smog pump deleted, cats deleted and hooker aero chamber exhaust.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Sponsor

@gd if your xdf doesn’t have air pump vs coolant temp look at this thread.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...ed-needed.html
Old 02-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
@gd if your xdf doesn’t have air pump vs coolant temp look at this thread.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...ed-needed.html
Oh nice! I'll check when I get home. Thanks!

GD
Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Bosch D3 22lb injectors. Only modifications are smog pump deleted, cats deleted and hooker aero chamber exhaust.
I'm running an 89 file that's setup for 24 lb injectors, but for the tune they act like 22.5 lb.

I can drop the injector constant down to 19.5 or 20 and you can try the map I'm running. Should be pretty close.

My map has all emissions removed, and is set for a 180 thermostat.

Do you have the ability to flash a chip?

GD
Old 02-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

So I know that some of you have been inquiring about alternate injectors other than the Bosch lll's. We are still selling them and they are in stock. However, to give you guys some options, we decided to stock the 22lb Delphi injectors for the 350's. They are the same as the old style Multecs. They do not require an adapter for fitment. We also have the Bosch gen 4 24lb, 27lb, 36lb and up. Plug and Play wire adapters will be included in the price. These injectors are new. We don't have them listed on the website yet however they are in stock. If anyone is interested in them give us a call and we'll honor the 15% Black Friday discount. 516-442-4707
Are those Delphis any more reliable than the original Multecs?

Last edited by chazman; 02-23-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Sponsor

Yes they are. Those crappy multecs were made between 1985 and 1992-1993 ish
Old 02-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Yes they are. Those crappy multecs were made between 1985 and 1992-1993 ish
Is the solenoid no longer designed to be cooled by fuel, thereby short circuiting them?
Old 02-23-2018, 11:47 PM
Pro
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 and 1995 Silverado
Engine: 5.7 TPI and 5.7 TBI to TPI convert
Transmission: 700R4 and 4l60E
Axle/Gears: G80 3.23 and open 3.42

According to Paul Danner even the Multitec 2 injectors had issues, eventually they would just get stuck wide open.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 AM

I'm running an 89 file that's setup for 24 lb injectors, but for the tune they act like 22.5 lb.

I can drop the injector constant down to 19.5 or 20 and you can try the map I'm running. Should be pretty close.

My map has all emissions removed, and is set for a 180 thermostat.

Do you have the ability to flash a chip?

GD
Mine is an 89 as well, I forgot to mention that. 89’s all have 180 thermostats, or am i mistaken?

I could try to flash a chip. I do have access to a laptop that should be able to do it unless any laptop is able to.

Just would need a little rundown on how to do it.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

You will need a chip programmer for your laptop. The software to do it is free.

Chips and adaptor

http://www.moates.net/gp1-package-gm....html?cPath=64

And the programmer:

http://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-programmer-p-197.html

GD
Old 02-27-2018, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pro
According to Paul Danner even the Multitec 2 injectors had issues, eventually they would just get stuck wide open.

What a crappy design! Both of my low mile '89s had the factory Multecs go ***** up. I replaced both with '85-'88 Bosch's.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 AM

You will need a chip programmer for your laptop. The software to do it is free.

Chips and adaptor

http://www.moates.net/gp1-package-gm....html?cPath=64

And the programmer:

http://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-programmer-p-197.html

GD
Thank you so much. Would you mind linking me to the software? And if you could email me you’re tune, it would make it so much easier for me because i have no idea how to do it . My email is brianlibby791@gmail.com.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Pro
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 and 1995 Silverado
Engine: 5.7 TPI and 5.7 TBI to TPI convert
Transmission: 700R4 and 4l60E
Axle/Gears: G80 3.23 and open 3.42

Instructions
http://static.moates.net/manuals/FlashAndBurn.pdf
Program
http://www.tunerpro.net/download/SetupFlashBurn.exe
Old 03-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

I put my money where my mouth was and bought the Delphi injectors (from SouthBay, even.)

Let me tell you, there is a night and day difference with how the car behaves with the Delphi's vs the B3s.

No more off-idle stumble, idle is smoother, and the car is smoother through the entire rev range. The stock-like visual aesthetic is a nice bonus for really picky people (like myself.)

They're more expensive than the B3s, but worth it. I'll datalog and post my BLM counts/etc on my stock tune/setup soon.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Sponsor

I'm really happy that you're satisfied with the injectors!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: GEN 4 LY6 (going forged 408)
Transmission: 60E (going RPM LEVEL 6 4L80E)
Axle/Gears: 7.5" 3.42 (staying...)

I put my money where my mouth was and bought the Delphi injectors (from SouthBay, even.)

Let me tell you, there is a night and day difference with how the car behaves with the Delphi's vs the B3s.

No more off-idle stumble, idle is smoother, and the car is smoother through the entire rev range. The stock-like visual aesthetic is a nice bonus for really picky people (like myself.)

They're more expensive than the B3s, but worth it. I'll datalog and post my BLM counts/etc on my stock tune/setup soon.
I'm really happy that you're satisfied with the injectors!
O SNAP -
Old 03-18-2018, 06:24 AM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 85 Iron Duke, 88 GTA and 92 TA

Are the stock Delphi injectors also available for the 305 TPI LB9? Should be 19 lb...
Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Sponsor

They offer these I’m not sure but I think they are considered Bosch 2s.
https://www.southbayfuelinjectors.co...ac_Fire_1.html
Old 03-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by J.C. Denton
Are the stock Delphi injectors also available for the 305 TPI LB9? Should be 19 lb...
Yes the Delphi Injectors are available in 19lb as well.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:03 PM

By any chance does anybody have a map file they can send me for an 89 (Or any TPI) with the 22lb injectors i can base off of when i get the chip?
Old 04-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Sponsor

By any chance does anybody have a map file they can send me for an 89 (Or any TPI) with the 22lb injectors i can base off of when i get the chip?
89 tpi is maf, if you need a starter bin you can do a read off your prom or visit GearHead EFI. The offsets are listed on Post #85
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ors-not-2.html

Search this Thread