Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

play in steering...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
play in steering...

Hi guys..I'm not mechanically inclined at all so bear with the dumb questions...Is it possible for me to fix my 'play' in the steering myself? I have adjusted the steering box as much as I can and I still feel unsure driving it because I can't hold the car in a straight line while driving, simply by holding onto the steering wheel.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: play in steering...

Is it possible for me to fix
Q: Is it possible for me to do brain surgery? (and the patient to live, besides )
A: Am I a brain surgeon?

I can't answer your question because I don't know how it's possible to be "not mechanically inclined". Mechanical stuff is pretty simple really; part A pushes on part B, which makes part C rotate, and stuff like that. If an epsilon-minus sub-moron like me can "get it", surely someone like you can, as well. Now, availability of tools, and such as that, might complicate matters; but that's a different subject.

A better way to attack the question might be to tell us what part has play in it.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

And also, what the alignment specs currently are.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Q: Is it possible for me to do brain surgery? (and the patient to live, besides )
A: Am I a brain surgeon?

I can't answer your question because I don't know how it's possible to be "not mechanically inclined". Mechanical stuff is pretty simple really; part A pushes on part B, which makes part C rotate, and stuff like that. If an epsilon-minus sub-moron like me can "get it", surely someone like you can, as well. Now, availability of tools, and such as that, might complicate matters; but that's a different subject.

A better way to attack the question might be to tell us what part has play in it.
Seriously? Insults? because an engine and a transmission is *just like that*.. the steering wheel, like I said. if I drive in a 'straight line' the car veers either to the left or the right. If you have nothing useful to say, or can't say it in a respectful way, please just stfu.

Last edited by elektrik; 12-12-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:51 PM

And also, what the alignment specs currently are.
And where would I find such information, since I'm such a simpleton...?
Old 12-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member

Not sure where ANYTHING I said was not "in a respectful way"? Or are you just some kind of "alternate winner" with lots of "participant trophies" on your shelf, that me poking fun at myself for being the idiot that I am, offends you? Remember, you're the one asking for help, and I'm the one offering it; I don't "have to" do anything at all on your behalf if I don't want to. I'm just being nice to you for no particular reason.

Mechanical things are SIMPLE in a general way. You can LOOK AT them and see what they do. Steering is PARTICULARLY simple, because it's all just sitting there right out in the open where you can LOOK AT IT. Which of course makes it SIMPLE to simply LOOK AT IT and see if one part that pushes/pulls on another, has to bang around loosely in free space before it can start doing its job of pushing/pulling on the other one. If you can identify such a thing, then bingo, you just found the/a culprit.

You would most readily accomplish this by having your assistant simply sit in the driver's seat with the key in the Off or On position (not Lock, and doesn't have to be running) and shake the steering wheel from side to side gently, while you are up under there where you can LOOK AT the steering linkage; and identify which parts are moving like they're supposed to as the steering wheel moves, and which ones sit still while the ones pushing/pulling on them are moving. Really, it's not that hard.

One would find the alignment specs on the sheet that the alignment service provided when you had it aligned to see if the alignment was the root cause of your issue. Let's hope it's not set to the stock alignment specs, because they SUCK, and will aggravate any other tendency that might cause the car to wander and have a vague "center".

There's one part that is a bit more complicated to observe, namely the ball joint(s); it takes a floor jack and a 2x4 to see the play in one of those. It's not exactly "steering", it's more "suspension", but can also cause a car to wander. But start with the simple stuff first. See if the steering is tight.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

Originally Posted by elektrik
And where would I find such information, since I'm such a simpleton...?
Can you tell us more about your car. Year? Make: Chevrolet or Pontiac? Model: Camaro or Firebird? Sub-model: Base, Berlinetta, Formula, IROC, Z28, Trans Am, Etc? Mileage? Do you have any past maintenance history on the car?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:26 PM

Not sure where ANYTHING I said was not "in a respectful way"? Or are you just some kind of "alternate winner" with lots of "participant trophies" on your shelf, that me poking fun at myself for being the idiot that I am, offends you? Remember, you're the one asking for help, and I'm the one offering it; I don't "have to" do anything at all on your behalf if I don't want to. I'm just being nice to you for no particular reason.

Mechanical things are SIMPLE in a general way. You can LOOK AT them and see what they do. Steering is PARTICULARLY simple, because it's all just sitting there right out in the open where you can LOOK AT IT. Which of course makes it SIMPLE to simply LOOK AT IT and see if one part that pushes/pulls on another, has to bang around loosely in free space before it can start doing its job of pushing/pulling on the other one. If you can identify such a thing, then bingo, you just found the/a culprit.

You would most readily accomplish this by having your assistant simply sit in the driver's seat with the key in the Off or On position (not Lock, and doesn't have to be running) and shake the steering wheel from side to side gently, while you are up under there where you can LOOK AT the steering linkage; and identify which parts are moving like they're supposed to as the steering wheel moves, and which ones sit still while the ones pushing/pulling on them are moving. Really, it's not that hard.

One would find the alignment specs on the sheet that the alignment service provided when you had it aligned to see if the alignment was the root cause of your issue. Let's hope it's not set to the stock alignment specs, because they SUCK, and will aggravate any other tendency that might cause the car to wander and have a vague "center".

There's one part that is a bit more complicated to observe, namely the ball joint(s); it takes a floor jack and a 2x4 to see the play in one of those. It's not exactly "steering", it's more "suspension", but can also cause a car to wander. But start with the simple stuff first. See if the steering is tight.
Well that's quite easy. Don't you remember this statement?" If an epsilon-minus sub-moron like me can "get it", surely someone like you can, as well."...or did someone possess your body? because basically you're calling yourself an 'epsilon-minus sub-moron", you're basically 'higher' in the intelligence scale than me and if you're a 'moron' what does that make me...got it?

And frankly, I didn't see any real offer in that first post.

Oh, and P.S. even your 'attempt' at offering help has fallen on deaf ears, mainly because of your attitude, so thanks but no thanks. I'll take my 'participation trophies' and take my chances with others' assistance.

Last edited by elektrik; 12-12-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by MY87LT
Can you tell us more about your car. Year? Make: Chevrolet or Pontiac? Model: Camaro or Firebird? Sub-model: Base, Berlinetta, Formula, IROC, Z28, Trans Am, Etc? Mileage? Do you have any past maintenance history on the car?
Certainly. it's a 1989 Chevrolet Camaro, RS convertible. (I believe it has TBI but I'm not sure..I know it has some sort of carbeurator, so that's why I'm guessing TBI. it has 72900k miles on it. I don't have any past maintenance history on it I'm afraid.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

basically you're calling yourself an 'epsilon-minus sub-moron"
I'm guessing you've never read "Brave New World"?

It's an old dystopia... one of the classics, right up there with "1984" ... surely you've read that? or "Fahrenheit 451"? ... anyway... they clone the various classes of humans, starting with Alpha at the top, Beta for most clerical positions, Gamma and Delta for lesserm more menial, occupations. They of course must create worker classes of humans, and poison them in their test tubes according to the rank of society they are designed for, and the VERY LOWEST, the ones that crawl in sewage or dig hazardous waste or the like, are Epsilon. (you DO remember your Greek alphabet, no??) The lowest of the low, the ones like me, are ... the ones I spoke of.

So, I'll gladly withdraw my offer of help. You're obviously WAY too superior to be helped by such as me. Figure it out on your own. You're too exalted to be shamed into getting up off your lazy as ... keyboard ... and DOING anything to help yourself, as opposed to expecting to be spoon-fed and then getting sand in your lady-parts when something else happens. I'm DONE with your "alternate winner" attitude.

I'll remember your userID and decline to offer knowledge and experience EVEN when/if you decide you're willing to accept it in the future, not that I'm expecting that to ever happen.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 AM

I'm guessing you've never read "Brave New World"?

It's an old dystopia... one of the classics, right up there with "1984" ... surely you've read that? or "Fahrenheit 451"? ... anyway... they clone the various classes of humans, starting with Alpha at the top, Beta for most clerical positions, Gamma and Delta for lesserm more menial, occupations. They of course must create worker classes of humans, and poison them in their test tubes according to the rank of society they are designed for, and the VERY LOWEST, the ones that crawl in sewage or dig hazardous waste or the like, are Epsilon. (you DO remember your Greek alphabet, no??) The lowest of the low, the ones like me, are ... the ones I spoke of.

So, I'll gladly withdraw my offer of help. You're obviously WAY too superior to be helped by such as me. Figure it out on your own. You're too exalted to be shamed into getting up off your lazy as ... keyboard ... and DOING anything to help yourself, as opposed to expecting to be spoon-fed and then getting sand in your lady-parts when something else happens. I'm DONE with your "alternate winner" attitude.

I'll remember your userID and decline to offer knowledge and experience EVEN when/if you decide you're willing to accept it in the future, not that I'm expecting that to ever happen.

Thanks so much. I appreciate you butting out. as for me being WAY too superior, that's funny because up until that last statement, you've been acting that way. And the fact that you keep commenting on my thread tells me the type of person you are..
Oh and btw, having been a member since 2005 and not having a *single* friend on here is very telling...and not very surprising...

P.S. Since I'm being "SUPERIOR" didn't you mean 'as s' instead of 'as'? And don't worry, I won't resort to name calling, unlike something that seems to freely flow from your mouth. ;-)

P.S.S. Now I understand. You're one of those 'little man' syndrome kind of guys...a quick search of these forums for your user name and I see that you treat everyone with the same disdain as me..Lovely, thanks for including me in such an exclusive club. Don't forget now (I know how you ARE after all) I spell my name ele K tri K..not with "C"...you know, like the things that people use wires to shuttle electricity from?

Last edited by elektrik; 12-13-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:44 AM

Car: 1989 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 1LE Disc LSD

lol subscribed
Old 12-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by TBRays98
lol subscribed
;-)
Old 12-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 Formula, 92 Firebird V6
Engine: 305, 189
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.23

If you have play in steering you should check everything that you see moving when turn steering wheel. The best way to do it is that someone help you with moving steering wheel
and you check where the play is... inner and outer tie rods, even steering shaft can cause problems, Steering column lower "bearing", ball joints... And yes, if you have tools and know what to do, you can fix it yourself. If you don't know how to do it, try to check it on youtube, there is a lot of stuff of how to that can be helpful... If you have any question, feel free to ask...
Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by novak
If you have play in steering you should check everything that you see moving when turn steering wheel. The best way to do it is that someone help you with moving steering wheel
and you check where the play is... inner and outer tie rods, even steering shaft can cause problems, Steering column lower "bearing", ball joints... And yes, if you have tools and know what to do, you can fix it yourself. If you don't know how to do it, try to check it on youtube, there is a lot of stuff of how to that can be helpful... If you have any question, feel free to ask...
Ok Novak. Thanks for the advice..I'll try to see if I can get a buddy to move the steering wheel while I look at it. Do you know if I need any sort of 'special' tools?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 AM

If you can get a buddy to move steering wheel and you will hear knocking somewhere, try to locate it. But you can check it yourself, you have to lift up the front end or one wheel at a time. In the video below you see how to even it is not camaro. You don't need tools for checking.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Center link can also be worn out, so check it too...
Old 12-13-2017, 10:38 AM

If you can get a buddy to move steering wheel and you will hear knocking somewhere, try to locate it. But you can check it yourself, you have to lift up the front end or one wheel at a time. In the video below you see how to even it is not camaro. You don't need tools for checking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brI2feYiEi8
Awesome!! Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 10:41 AM

Center link can also be worn out, so check it too...
What's a center link? Sorry, I'm not mechanical, so I don't know the names.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 AM

If we go from the side, first is outer tie rod end, then inner tie rod end and then center link. The longest item in the beginning of the video.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

It can also be the idler arm if it's the original in the car along with the almost 30 year old rubber bushings. Best bet would be to replace the entire steering components (minus the steering box and pump) as most places sell them as a complete kit. Take it to a good shop to install and then have the car aligned. Should be good as new. That's another option.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 AM

If we go from the side, first is outer tie rod end, then inner tie rod end and then center link. The longest item in the beginning of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nFJRU2bK6g
Got it!! very helpful. thanks!!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:17 AM

It can also be the idler arm if it's the original in the car along with the almost 30 year old rubber bushings. Best bet would be to replace the entire steering components (minus the steering box and pump) as most places sell them as a complete kit. Take it to a good shop to install and then have the car aligned. Should be good as new. That's another option.
Thanks for the advice..I may end up going with this option too..
Old 12-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 92 camaro RS
Engine: LSA
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: TNT 8.8 wavetrac 3.73

All my steering play is in the box.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: L31
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

A lot of times the wandering is due to steering box play.

This post will give you an insight to the steering box and adjustments that can be made

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...build-rag.html
Old 12-15-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by loopy
A lot of times the wandering is due to steering box play.

This post will give you an insight to the steering box and adjustments that can be made

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...build-rag.html
hmm