Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Calling james C for help(door handle)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calling james C for help(door handle)

I see you have a parts assembly on the exterior door handle any more pics? I got my new handle on and the top clip/rod connected but cant figure out where exactly the bottom part of the rod goes into. the rod has a small 90 kink in it then proceeds going straight down
Old 06-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Re: Calling james C for help(door handle)

It's very hard to get in there to see!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The end drops in the top of this arm on the latch. It's just an oval hole. Drop the rod in, then swing the top of the rod to the door handle and snap the keeper into place.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

The end drops in the top of this arm on the latch
Drew in that pic, it looks like there's a perfect hole on the SIDE. Important to note (as you stated) that the rod goes in the TOP, not the side. When I redid my doors, I thought the side was the obvious place to put it. Doesn't quite work. Again, as you stated, it definitely goes in the TOP hole.

We were discussing this very thing in another thread.....I drew a diagram. Post #7.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...-problems.html
Old 06-20-2018, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Drew in that pic, it looks like there's a perfect hole on the SIDE. Important to note (as you stated) that the rod goes in the TOP, not the side. When I redid my doors, I thought the side was the obvious place to put it. Doesn't quite work. Again, as you stated, it definitely goes in the TOP hole.

We were discussing this very thing in another thread.....I drew a diagram. Post #7.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...-problems.html
thank you so much i was seeing the side hole but not the top one ont he same lever!!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM

seent he diagram had it together within 1 minute now that I understood it but now my latch wont open for the striker post. its stuck and wont let the door shut???? the handle released the door once but now i cnt close it
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM

So had a panick the door wouldnt shut, and I park my car outside. I ****ed with it a bunch and finially the indoor lever released the latch I could close it but now I cant get it open. all the rods are hooked up. however the lock slider doesnt fit perfect in its slot. when i push the the fullw ay forward only a little orange/yellow mark color shows up. I'm just glad I got the door shut before it rains though.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 AM

Can't believe a simple 80s door handle could be so difficult to replace
The following users liked this post:
Hawkeye1980 (11-02-2019)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:40 AM

Feel like having a smoke and I dont even smoke!! urggh
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 PM

My driver door is still stuck shut. It happend after I put the lock slider back on I must have pryed on it to hard to get it back into the plastic? it move back and forth and clicks but maybe slightly less than the passenger door?

Trying not to stress over this but I am a little lol. If all fails can I take the sail panels off and undo the striker? if all fails how will I get this dang door off?

I'm out of idea I'm praying on some knowledged fellers here for advice!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 PM

Have you tried to push the door open when the handle is lifted? I had mine do that one time because the rods were dirty. Maybe you bent yours slightly with the same result. It would release the striker 99% percent of the way. A slight push wouldn't do it. Had to give it a good palm smack!

Next would be to take off the black door trim that mounts right along the top of the door. Should give you some access into the door to play around in there a litttle bit.

Whether you use pliers,or just your hands, from the inside OR the little piece of metal the lock tap clips to......I'd work that lock lever back and forth until it releases.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Have you tried to push the door open when the handle is lifted? I had mine do that one time because the rods were dirty. Maybe you bent yours slightly with the same result. It would release the striker 99% percent of the way. A slight push wouldn't do it. Had to give it a good palm smack!

Next would be to take off the black door trim that mounts right along the top of the door. Should give you some access into the door to play around in there a litttle bit.

Whether you use pliers,or just your hands, from the inside OR the little piece of metal the lock tap clips to......I'd work that lock lever back and forth until it releases.
I tried that yes. Il give that a shot too with the black panel...event hough i couldnt get it off for the new door handle installation. the rivets wouldnt come out or whatever was holding it and its old and frail so I didnt pry hard and left it. Will try now though since I half to
Old 06-20-2018, 08:59 PM

there was clips you pish in and lift up I understand but the end of the black piece towards the mirror was just no cooperating
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 PM

I did bend the rod a little bit the one to the exterior handle trying to figure it all out, after was explained to me earlier I had it in there as fast as a GM assembly line worker. I bent it back best I could but the door handle worked up until i put the plastic slider lock back on its piece by the interior door handle
Old 06-21-2018, 09:26 AM

Ya know, as it came from the factory, that black trim may be stuck to the door panel. Mine no longer does and I can remove it separately. Didn't think of that, sorry.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 AM

Ya know, as it came from the factory, that black trim may be stuck to the door panel. Mine no longer does and I can remove it separately. Didn't think of that, sorry.
I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Obviously I dont want to tear **** apart and take the door off since when you tear into old **** more stuff usually breaks!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Late to the party, but perhaps the following diagram will help someone else.

JamesC
Attached Thumbnails Calling james C for help(door handle)-img_4927.jpg  
Old 06-22-2018, 05:41 PM

Yes I;ve studied that diagram off another thread!

It's all hooked up like so, but my door just wont open. I think I bent the lock rod when i tryed to pry it back/squeeze it into the plastic casing that goes around the whole handle assembly. The outside handle and inside worked prior to me putting all that stuff back on. So I think my issue is with the lock itself. with it all back together the orange reveal tape on the plastic slider(the lock) doesn't show as much as the passenger door now when in the lock position.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 315 Likes on 258 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Have you tried removing the plastic slider? It may give you a little wiggle room to release the lock.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Axle/Gears: Stock

This is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING on the passenger side. What side does the black or yellow plastic rod clip go on for the passenger side please? Towards the mirror or towards the back of the car?

Is there a difference in the metal connection rod regarding passenger and driver? I have 2 of the same and the driver side works perfectly. I bought a passenger side one on eBay from a fellow follower here. But I cant get this thing to work right at all.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The clip on the door handle snaps in from the side towards the back of the car.

Keep in mind the driver's/passenger's sides are the same, but they're mirror images of each other. The clips are color coded and different. The passenger's side door handle clip will be Black or Orange/Red. Driver's are White. The rods for the handles and lock cylinders are different too. You need to be sure to use the right parts on the right sides, or it's going to cause problems.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by Drew
The clip on the door handle snaps in from the side towards the back of the car.

Keep in mind the driver's/passenger's sides are the same, but they're mirror images of each other. The clips are color coded and different. The passenger's side door handle clip will be Black or Orange/Red. Driver's are White. The rods for the handles and lock cylinders are different too. You need to be sure to use the right parts on the right sides, or it's going to cause problems.
Ok thats what I needed to know. The drivers side works perfectly and very easy to setup, The passenger side is driving me nuts. Ill get it, just annoying. Thanks