Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Avoiding Close Parkers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2
Avoiding Close Parkers!

Recently I’ve had some close parkers and it drives me crazy..

Ever go out to eat after a cruise night or just take the car out and need to park it? So you find a nice big parking lot and find the furthest corner where you can back in. No one can park to the left or behind the car with at least 20-50 parking spots between you and the other cars parked near the establishment. I never double park because that’s just asking for trouble..

So the past couple of times I parked the IROC hundreds of feet away where no one was parked and come out to find some piece of junk very close to the driver side.

Both times I took photos of the license plate and inspected the car thoroughly. The second time the owner came out behind me and said, “ Wow, that’s your car! Very cool, what year!?” I said “88”. He was an older guy and seemed harmless and carefully opened his door to squeeze into his car..

so WHY park so close??? There are 20 other empty spots you don’t have to squeeze out your door when you park there!

My wife said “He obviously thought your car was cool”

Yeah, so park a couple spots away so you can walk up and check the car out, right?

You guys have any tips to keep this from happening?

I usually try to park next to a handicapped spot, or a spot far away and never double park. I always park perfectly in the lines unless I’m on an end spot where I’ll park closer on one side to give people more room to open their doors..

This guy parked right on the line because of the space I left.. so annoying!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Avoiding Close Parkers!

Never drive the car, just keep it sealed in a plastic bubble.

Hey, it works for me.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Get used to it, there is no way around it. The further away you park the more attention you call to it. One lonely car sitting out in no mans land and it's like a moth to a flame.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
Never drive the car, just keep it sealed in a plastic bubble.

Hey, it works for me.
They have those plastic bubbles on Amazon?! I’ll get one!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

https://www.calcarcover.com/product/...age-bubble/684

Last edited by Drew; 07-31-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Try to find an end spot or one next to a curbed island. At least that way you have cut your chance down by 50%.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by chazman
Try to find an end spot or one next to a curbed island. At least that way you have cut your chance down by 50%.
Thats the best I’ve come up with.. but that bubble looks pretty cool..

I’m tempted to double park in those huge empty lots, but that would probably attract even more trouble..
Old 07-31-2018, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

I park my Camaro as far away as I can, and by a curb island, etc as well. If I'm in my daily driver, and see a nice car parked by itself.....I will sometimes park next to it with plenty of room between us to be a blocker for him. I've even walked back to my car at the same time as the other cars owner and I've told him that I'm a car guy and thought I'd block the spot next to him so some jerk wad couldn't park on top of his car and ding it.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dagwood
I park my Camaro as far away as I can, and by a curb island, etc as well. If I'm in my daily driver, and see a nice car parked by itself.....I will sometimes park next to it with plenty of room between us to be a blocker for him. I've even walked back to my car at the same time as the other cars owner and I've told him that I'm a car guy and thought I'd block the spot next to him so some jerk wad couldn't park on top of his car and ding it.
I would appreciate someone saying that!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ
Recently I’ve had some close parkers and it drives me crazy..
That's when the other guy gets to wonder how all four tires went flat at the same time.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the gag store and buy some fake vomit. Place it in the adjacent parking spot. Works at the Gym all the time
Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I usually try to park next to a handicapped spot
Dear lord NO! ....you can almost guarantee YOUR car isn't on their list of priorities.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
That's when the other guy gets to wonder how all four tires went flat at the same time.
Ha ha.. I would fear retaliation..

I beat a car to a parking space in my old 87 IROC during Christmas time and got yelled at by the girl in the passenger seat of the other car.. Came out to find the driver side of my car keyed..

Luckily I had such a thick coat of wax on the car and being a car detailer I got the scratch right out, but now I keep a low profile when parking..
Old 08-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by dagwood
That's awesome
Old 08-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Dear lord NO! ....you can almost guarantee YOUR car isn't on their list of priorities.
If I can’t find an end spot or island spot my thinking is that there’s less of a chance someone will park there than a normal spot and the handicapped spots have extra space for those ramps..

Anytime I have done this there’s never another car parked next to me.. I almost never see handicapped spots in use outside of the city.

I think parking spots should be big enough so that people can open their doors all the way without hitting the car next to them. We have parking lots with very small spots here.. too small for full size trucks/SUVs.

Usually when I see a door swing open and nail the car next to them, it’s a little kid. Kids just have no clue about that stuff. At least parking far away will reduce the risk of that since parents with young kids don’t want to walk across a large, hot parking lot on top of everything else they have to deal with..
Old 08-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Boxtruck
Go to the gag store and buy some fake vomit. Place it in the adjacent parking spot. Works at the Gym all the time
Ha ha.. Or have some fake “Tow Zone” signs.. Maybe “Reserved Space Tow Zone” on parking cones and keep it in the trunk.

I’m leaning towards the plastic bubble..
Old 08-01-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1

It's difficult. If you double park at the furthest possible spot, someone is likely to purposely damage your car.
I do what I can, but there are times I just don't take the car because of the parking situation. Too many times I've done everything I can and come out to find someone is parked over the line.
Even at work, where most guys are in to cars, I am very very picky of where I park,
Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Parking lots are like fishing holes or camp grounds. For some reason, when you find a secluded spot on 100 miles of shore or on 1000 square miles of lake, some idiot parks it right next to you.

Being obnoxious doesn't keep them away either. It just attracts other obnoxious people.

That's why I want to try a pet gorilla....
Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by WTR388
It's difficult. If you double park at the furthest possible spot, someone is likely to purposely damage your car.
I do what I can, but there are times I just don't take the car because of the parking situation. Too many times I've done everything I can and come out to find someone is parked over the line.
Even at work, where most guys are in to cars, I am very very picky of where I park,
I usually don’t go places if I don’t know what the parking situation is.. The Honda can bite the bullet if parking seems rough..
Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Parking lots are like fishing holes or camp grounds. For some reason, when you find a secluded spot on 100 miles of shore or on 1000 square miles of lake, some idiot parks it right next to you.

Being obnoxious doesn't keep them away either. It just attracts other obnoxious people.

Yup.. people can’t just be cool..
Old 08-02-2018, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

I see in your profile it says "New England" . Well , as one who was born and raised in eastern Massachusetts and have lived here my whole life , I can tell you people here are among the most rude and arrogant POS s that I've ever encountered , and I've broken a few noses in my lifetime teaching manners lessons ! I have traveled the world and have never encountered people as rude and if it weren't for my extended family ties here I'd have moved to a place with less arrogant POS s long ago . In most cases it's not by mistake or simply not knowing it's a vintage car they are opening their door onto , it's a purposeful destruction of something nicer than they own and is done out of spite . My being of an imposing physical stature means that when I've confronted these jerks who slam their door into my car they would always start in with the "but I didn't mean to" , yea right , that door just flung itself open full force into my fender on it's own , right ? Like I said the few who got mouthy got something to think about long after I'd buffed out the scratches but sadly ya can't catch them all ....
Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Originally Posted by paulo57509

Isn't there a trunk monkey for close parkers?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
I see in your profile it says "New England" . Well , as one who was born and raised in eastern Massachusetts and have lived here my whole life , I can tell you people here are among the most rude and arrogant POS s that I've ever encountered , and I've broken a few noses in my lifetime teaching manners lessons ! I have traveled the world and have never encountered people as rude and if it weren't for my extended family ties here I'd have moved to a place with less arrogant POS s long ago . In most cases it's not by mistake or simply not knowing it's a vintage car they are opening their door onto , it's a purposeful destruction of something nicer than they own and is done out of spite . My being of an imposing physical stature means that when I've confronted these jerks who slam their door into my car they would always start in with the "but I didn't mean to" , yea right , that door just flung itself open full force into my fender on it's own , right ? Like I said the few who got mouthy got something to think about long after I'd buffed out the scratches but sadly ya can't catch them all ....
It’s true, and the closer to Boston you get, the worse it is.. people drive like it’s bumper cars out here.. They all lease their Japanese and German cars and get a new one every 2-3 years so have no concept of trying to own a car and keep it nice.. and it’s definitely not their job to keep your car nice!

You park a car in the city and tourists will be leaning on it, a door guy will be sitting on the hood.. Personal Property gets no respect in the city..
Old 08-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Being a horse owner.. I know they do make solar powered electric fence.. that could be fun!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

IDK Orangebird but I may have you beat for the worst drivers. Down here in SoFlo we seem to get the worst drivers from all those northern states move down here! It is bad. The parking, small spots, crowded lots and way too many selfish people all in a hurry to go somewhere. Every time I park the car I cringe as I am walking away from the car (as I look back at it). Chaz has the best advise, I find an island, even if it is out of the way and I park the drivers side toward the island. I agree with the others that if you park out in no mans land you get the ***** that screw with you.

One thing I have been doing, If there are 2 of these new 250 or bigger trucks with those fat rims and low profile tires I have been parking in between them. Those guys seem to be cautious when parking those big trucks. Think of the protection you have! Maybe better tan a bubble! The last one I parked next to it was lifted so that if they swung the door open it would have went right over my door!
Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Park in front up on the apron
Old 08-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

When you see guys with full size trucks backed in, mirrors folded and they’re all shined up, those guys know how to park.

I even get nervous at the cruise nights.. some of these old guys driving classic cars trying to back into parking spots is pretty wild sometimes. I’ve heard stories about collisions between classic cars at these things..

I think truck drivers are usually the better drivers and take pride in their vehicles as opposed to the person leasing their 2017 Corolla and turning it in soon..

Sometimes I’ll look for child seats or see if there’s evidence of kids. Overwhelmed parents and kids that don’t know any better will ding you..

I had a friend in Boston who said he used to parallel park by hitting the bumpers of the cars in front and behind.. He’d say “who cares, I’ll get a new lease in a year and pay the deductible..” He joked about how beat up his bumper was on his one year old Nissan..

Finding an Island end spot that blocks off 3/4 of the car is gold!

Last edited by 88IROCvertZ; 08-08-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:25 PM
COTM Editor

I don't park next to anyone, period! Won't find my car at the grocery store parking lot either.

I rarely park the car anywhere except at work. The parking lot at work is rural, the grounds are entirely fenced, security guards, cameras, and a parking lot made for over 4K people. My parking spot....

Last edited by QwkTrip; 08-08-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I don't park next to anyone, period! Won't find my car at the grocery store parking lot either.

I rarely park the car anywhere except at work. The parking lot at work is rural, the grounds are entirely fenced, security guards, cameras, and a parking lot made for over 4K people. My parking spot....

That’s how I want every spot to be!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

If I'm driving a nicer car or my Camaro I try to find the employee parking area. You can bet you'll be in and out before they leave! Also, employees will tend to be more careful because its probably the car of someone you work with. I don't like to park way out in the back because as mentioned it attracts more attention and you can fall victim to the runaway shopping cart.
And lastly, dittos on receiving all the horrible drivers in the winter! Combine a person's declining mental state, cataracts and slow reaction time and you have downright scary drivers.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I make my wife sit in the car. It's an unfortunate dilemma of owning car you truly like. Park car and roll dice.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

I like this solution.
Attached Thumbnails Avoiding Close Parkers!-colp2.jpg  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I see in your profile it says "New England" . Well , as one who was born and raised in eastern Massachusetts and have lived here my whole life , I can tell you people here are among the most rude and arrogant POS s that I've ever encountered ,

When I see Mass plates I say, "There's someone from Assachusetts" My friend that used to live up there called them Mass holes
Old 08-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

These are useful too!!

Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Bob88GTA I like the carriage force field idea..

Ma$$holes are typically closer to Boston.. When you go out west or to the North Shore beach towns people will actually stop and let you go and are very courteous..

I’d say Connecticut is the worst state for drivers in New England.. They’ll run you right off the highway to get a carlength further..
Old 08-10-2018, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by scooter
When I see Mass plates I say, "There's someone from Assachusetts" My friend that used to live up there called them Mass holes

Ma$$holes are typically closer to Boston.. When you go out west or to the North Shore beach towns people will actually stop and let you go and are very courteous..

I’d say Connecticut is the worst state for drivers in New England.. They’ll run you right off the highway to get a carlength further..
Yes indeed , the closer you get to any overly populated area the worse the behavior becomes . I live about 35 miles from Boston and out here in the 'Burbs the majority of the drivers are courteous , and as one drives toward Boston it's plainly observable how much more aggressive the drivers become the closer one gets . I guess it's like that for any big city which is why I have a big ol Lincoln towncar for my city excursions , the Firebird being my local trip only car
Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 PM
COTM Editor

and as one drives toward Boston it's plainly observable how much more aggressive the drivers become the closer one gets . I guess it's like that for any big city
Ya, I went through Chicago last winter in my truck and I was getting pushed around everywhere and not having a good time. Some careless lady about ran me off the road. On the way back I "went native" and drove just like them and my drive was easy. Some guy in a Lexas tried the same move as the careless lady but I knew the play book and ran him off the road instead.

I'll never live in a big city... EVER!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Supreme Member

I’d say Connecticut is the worst state for drivers in New England.. They’ll run you right off the highway to get a carlength further.
Hey, I'm from Connecticut...........

and I agree 100%.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Took the end spot today. Walked out to this:
Attached Thumbnails Avoiding Close Parkers!-08740de2-4c90-4852-8f7f  
Old 08-12-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones

I am usually a offender of the park on the line and take 2 spaces.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

I think it's a fun challenge to look at pictures and try to figure out where they were taken, (street and address removed) Depew NY. The lot is not real big to begin with and if they turned in from Transit that's the side they'd probably park on. I'd get the boss' approval and park on the side with no parking spots, provided you have a car alarm or don't leave anything valuable in sight.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by H8TRAFIC
Looked liked you spaced it good and parked close to the end line.. That’s the best you can do.. I hate when I do that and then the other car parks on the line close to my car..

”dude, I was giving you room to open your door!”
Old 08-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

I NEVER take my car to walmart or the grocery. If I do take it to work people know how I am about my car so they usually won't even park near it. At restraunts i get way out in left field.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dmccain
I NEVER take my car to walmart or the grocery. If I do take it to work people know how I am about my car so they usually won't even park near it. At restraunts i get way out in left field.
same here..

but at least the Walmart by me has spots so ridiculously far away no one would bother parking near you.. because it takes 20 minutes to walk from there..

I also make sure I’m never downhill if there’s a parking lot with carts.. carts can’t roll uphill at least.. I always bring carts back on my way in.. people are so freakin lazy about that.. I listen to Adam Carrolla Podcast on my long work commutes and he always says successful people are the type that bring the cart back. What about people that return every cart in a 100 foot radius?

My wife never wants to take the Camaro because she knows parking might not go well. It’s bad enough in the Tahoe. I’ve never caught a ding in the Tahoe and that thing goes all over.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tibo
I think it's a fun challenge to look at pictures and try to figure out where they were taken, (street and address removed) Depew NY. The lot is not real big to begin with and if they turned in from Transit that's the side they'd probably park on. I'd get the boss' approval and park on the side with no parking spots, provided you have a car alarm or don't leave anything valuable in sight.
So it’s safe to say you have been to this auto parts establishment before?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

So it’s safe to say you have been to this auto parts establishment before?
Nope, never even been to NY. You can tell exactly where you are from the picture and find it on Google maps and then satellite view.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1

Originally Posted by Tibo
Nope, never even been to NY. You can tell exactly where you are from the picture and find it on Google maps and then satellite view.
There is literally a game that uses google earth/street view to challenge you to determine where it is on the globe. Some times you can get very very close without cheating.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

See! Now, what makes someone do that?
Old 08-15-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try parking on the line around here. With the Jeep guys, you will come out and find a lifted Jeep parked right against your car...on both sides.
It doesn't matter what kind of car is double parked. There will be a Jeep guy close by and call his buddies.

It's rather hilarious. People's reactions are priceless.
Check out YT and you'll see what I mean. Some of them are from around here.

If you don't want someone parking next to you, don't drive the car.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Peg Leg

Quick Reply: Avoiding Close Parkers!