History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Need advice on price of 1986 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on price of 1986 Camaro

I currently work as a mechanic and the other day someone brought in an 1986 IROC-Z. It seems to have been sitting for a little while and they want it to run right so they can sell it. I want to buy but I have no idea what people are paying for these currently. I think it is a one owner car but the exterior has seen better days. It has a 305 tpi with a 700r4 trans. The odometer claims just under 40,000 miles but it may have rolled over, who knows. It needs a tune up and new tires. I quoted them just over $1000 to fix the most prominent issues. It leaks a little oil out of a variety of different places. If it has been sitting then the seals around the valves will probably be cracked and leak a little. I forgot to take a picture of the RPO codes which I can still get. The pricing of other cars for sale are perfect looking cars at some rather large prices.

6 months ago I bought a 1985 Corvette with 350 tpi and manual trans. It was in a little worse shape than this Camaro so I cant see the price being much higher. The corvette is better performance wise and has better suspension set up but it's not the best daily driver. I paid $3250 for a Corvette that needed tires and some love. I don;t see how this Camaro is worth much more but I don't know which is why I'm asking you guys. Paint is coming off, parts of the stripes and IROC stickers are missing and the fog light is broken
Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Re: Need advice on price of 1986 Camaro

You will get more replies that will go in greater detail, but you need to know that the '86 model was pretty weak. It had the peanut cam that brought horsepower numbers down. The IROC-Z had a better suspension than the Corvette of that same year, but the anemic engine didn't help it shine. If you're saying it only needs about $1000 worth of retail labor to get it mechanically sound, then a little cleanup and paint is all that's remaining. The owner could ask for $8k or more. When comparing other cars, a $4k paint job and a $1k for any interior fixes could put this car into a low to mid teens car. The mid 80s Vette wasn't anything to write home about.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

86 is a year I'd personally stay away from.. Not that there's anything seriously wrong with 86s, but 85s were faster, and 87s could be ordered with a 350 or a 5spd. Kind of makes 86 a bastard year. As a general rule, the later thirdgens are built better, and the TPI is more developed. The electronics got better each year, the emissions equipment got less bulky, options got better, performance got better. 88-up used the serpentine drive setup, that really cleans things up. 89s are the best running MAF cars, especially with dual cats. 90-92 speed density cars with dual cats generally run a lot better than the best 86.

I don't see anyone selling a half decent Iroc for under $3,000. Anyone could get that much in a weekend on Craigslist. It'll sell for more than that if it runs OK and looks as good as the pics show. But personally I wouldn't be the least bit interested in owning another 86 unless it was nearly free. Ten years ago, an 86 TPI car with roached paint and one significant driveability problem (bad engine, bad trans, bad fuel pump) was a few hundred dollar car. Maybe $3500 if it was running and driving. Now, it's easily double that, but they're not "worth" that much. If that makes sense.

I'd probably put it somewhere in the $4500-5500 range. I'd expect it to sit for sale at those prices for a good long time unless the perfect buyer just happens to fall for it. I would want to be in it closer to $1500 so that when the 700R4 kicks the bucket, I can have it rebuilt and still sell the car for a profit at $3500. But then I'd much rather have a 89-92 over an 86.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

I'm guessing by the interior that the 40K miles is legit. Other than the comment about " the paint is coming off", looks like it'll clean up really nice. Assuming mechanically sound, factory paint, etc., maybe $5-$8K.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:40 PM

I think the car would clean up rather nice. The pictures definatly make it look better than it is. At the moment it doesn't run well and it needs new tires. With as low miles as it is I would be skeptical of something breaking, odd electrical things or engine calling it quits. Honestly after I do the tune up it may still have problems. It was running really sluggish and bogging down could be worse but I don't know yet.

Thanks for trying to help inform me on these cars. I like the old tpi cars since they are peppy and reliable. I wanted something that would be a better daily car then the corvette that is a struggle to get in and out of, you sit so low in that car. I saw this and thought a few thousand bucks for a car that may have a few odd problems. I'm not really looking to pay an outrageous price for some car because it has low miles and original paint. At $2000 or so I would be ok but much more than that is a big gamble on a car that has been neglected and may puke in a few thousand miles. the seals in the engine and transmission haven't been getting anything since it hasn't been driven. I would be willing to bet that they are mostly dried up and will leak a fair amount in the near future.

Maybe i'm wrong. please more of you guys chime in.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Unless it has rod knock or Fred Flintstone floors, $2K is a bargain. If you can get it for that much, grab it.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

If a person takes a car like that with no significant issues, and starts daily driving it, it's going to wear exponentially quicker than a newer car in the same condition. You can plan on all the rubber being dried out, shocks and struts weakened from age, plastics dried out. You can already see the effect of age on the decals, that will get worse, definitely don't want to get anything stronger than a garden hose set to slightly more than a trickle. Go ahead and assume that all the seam sealer on the body is shot. In short, you can't let it get wet. You won't know it, but water will be leaking through all the joints and soaking into the carpet padding, etc. When all those old parts start moving, the foam rubber, plastic, etc is going to fail from ozone if not UV, and it's going to take a plunge into creeks, rattles, and other assorted unpleasant noises. Things like failing relays, light bulbs that stop working, clogged injectors, rotten trans mount, etc will nickle and dime and dime you for about six months to a year before you'll get caught up enough to really drive it without something failing every time you take it someplace. I mean it's a 32 year old car, wtf do you expect? lol
Old 08-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by chazman
Unless it has rod knock or Fred Flintstone floors, $2K is a bargain. If you can get it for that much, grab it.
If a person can find a car like that for $2k they'd be stupid not to grab it. But I doubt anyone selling that car isn't going to look at Ebay or the NADA Collector value before they sell it. Most people aren't going to give an Iroc away unless they're in a really sticky spot or they're just ignorant of the market.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 PM

The family who owns it is kinda rich and I'd bet ignorant to the value. The guy who bought it is in the nursing home now. I might be able to convince them of a low price. If not then I'm at no loss. I have a few other cars to drive.

I don't feel cars should be stored away and hidden in the garage. If you can not drive it and have fun then it's not really much of a car. I think it's silly to over value an old car because it has low miles. More problems arise from the ones with low low miles.

Either way not a big deal to me. Just thought I'd ask what cars like these are going for. No reason to get bent out of shape about it. I'm fully aware about the problems that will arise with a car like this. I have seen there a few times.

Last edited by BowerPower; 08-15-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

i would say thats a 4,000 dollar car max if it needs a paint job .. and thats after the all the mechanical is done .. ignore all the high prices your seeing on ebay etc.. most are bs .. i see good deals on low mile third gens all the time and for around 10k you can get a all original low mile iroc without the peanut cam that needs nothing ..
Old 08-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

I'm guessing by the interior that the 40K miles is legit.
Agreed !

NADA is what many states use to base a vehicles value at for tax purposes......

( as of 8-15-18 ) https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1986...t-Coupe/Values
LOW retail = $4275
Average Retail = $8400
HIGH retail = $16200

@ 40K original miles,..... this IROC is worth more than your $3250 Corvette.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by John in RI

@ 40K original miles,..... this IROC is worth more than your $3250 Corvette.

If the factory paint is savable, for sure. The decals are a non-issue. Not sure what's going on with the door moldings, though.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 AM

I don't doubt that is worth more than my Corvette due to lesser miles and over all better condition.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 AM

I don't doubt that is worth more than my Corvette due to lesser miles and over all better condition. A rang of how much I dont know. That's why I'm asking you guys. In the end a car is worth how much someone is willing to spend.

I'm interested in finding an IROC-Z but I have seen many of the ones in my area and man do they need some help. The crappy modifications people have done and overall lack of care.

At this point, part of me hopes something is wrong semi-minor is wrong with the engine. Then I get it for a nice price. Spend my free time fixing the issue and then having a decent car with a peanuts cam to drive around town. I probably wont get that lucky. Maybe the owner will be ignorant enough to give it to me for a decent price. I don't need the car but I'd hate to see it land in the wrong hands and be locked away in a garage never driven or some do terrible modifications to it.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BowerPower
I don't doubt that is worth more than my Corvette due to lesser miles and over all better condition. A rang of how much I dont know. That's why I'm asking you guys. In the end a car is worth how much someone is willing to spend.

I'm interested in finding an IROC-Z but I have seen many of the ones in my area and man do they need some help. The crappy modifications people have done and overall lack of care.

At this point, part of me hopes something is wrong semi-minor is wrong with the engine. Then I get it for a nice price. Spend my free time fixing the issue and then having a decent car with a peanuts cam to drive around town. I probably wont get that lucky. Maybe the owner will be ignorant enough to give it to me for a decent price. I don't need the car but I'd hate to see it land in the wrong hands and be locked away in a garage never driven or some do terrible modifications to it.
Some of the hacked up mods people do to these cars are disgusting. Half the cars on CL are like that. Those car's next stop is a parts car.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

The market value for decent Irocs, is inflated well beyond the practical value. A car like that makes a really terrible daily driver. Those are the points I'm getting at. Even running at 100%, it's going to be sluggish to drive. It's an 86 305 auto with (probably) 2.73 gears. It's the kind of car that gives thirdgens a reputation for being slow.

The thing about comparing the value to a Corvette is the majority of Corvettes are well kept, while the majority of Irocs are trashed. The Iroc is iconic of the time period which boosts it's value considerably.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
The market value for decent Irocs, is inflated well beyond the practical value. A car like that makes a really terrible daily driver. Those are the points I'm getting at. Even running at 100%, it's going to be sluggish to drive. It's an 86 305 auto with (probably) 2.73 gears. It's the kind of car that gives thirdgens a reputation for being slow.

The thing about comparing the value to a Corvette is the majority of Corvettes are well kept, while the majority of Irocs are trashed. The Iroc is iconic of the time period which boosts it's value considerably.
please dont even get me started on a daily practical driver car. I get it wont be fast and it may be pricey for its practical value which means I may not get to have one for a while. It would probably be the most practical daily that I own if it was mune
Old 08-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

FYI, all '86 IROCs with LB9 have a 3.23 gear.......
Old 08-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

FYI, all '86 IROCs with LB9 have a 3.23 gear.......
Hmm, tech data page must be wrong then. All the 86s I've had were Firebirds, all had 2.73 or 2.77 gears.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm, tech data page must be wrong then. All the 86s I've had were Firebirds, all had 2.73 or 2.77 gears.
Yeah, must be. I've never seen an '86 LB9 IROC without a GU5. And I've looked at many dozens of '86 SPIDs. And none of those GU5s were a G92, (not offered), so standard gear.

I just looked a the tech data page and they have 2.73 and 3.42 as a G92 option.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

Just checked the GM Heritage tech page. They have 2.73 and optional 3.42 and somewhere else have 2.73 and G92= 3.23 but IROC-Z G92 is 3.42..

Anyway, I've never seen an '86 IROC, LB9 which wasn't a 3.23 and none of those had a G92 code.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

Lots of '86 hate in here that I don't really agree with. The car should have a 3.23 gear, and it should run mid 15s in the 1/4 mile once healthy. Not fast by today's standards, but it will be fast enough to be fun. There is nothing about an '86 that makes it respond differently to aftermarket mods either. You could put a 350 in it, re-use all the stock intake, exhaust and electronics, and just swap the chip or have one burned and you've got the same performance of the L98 cars (still not that great if we're honest). It responds just as well as any other year thirdgen to mods, and if you want one to actually be fast, you have to change all the same stuff on an '86 that you'd change on any other year.

I daily drive thirdgens in spring/summer/fall, have since 1997. I drive them to work and for work, I drive them for pleasure. I've had various versions, all of them V8 cars. If you want a fun driver that sounds good and isn't boring, this '86 will be just fine. If you want something with some zip, do a cam/intake/exhaust on the LB9 and you'll have a solid mid/low 14sec car. My '86 with modded 305 and a 5spd went 13.70@101mph.

Point is, don't shy away from the '86 just because it has a crappy cam and is only rated at 190hp. In the grand scheme of things, it's not something that should totally sink the car for you. If you like it, if you are OK with it's condition and you can get it for a price you're comfortable at, then go for it.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
Lots of '86 hate in here that I don't really agree with. The car should have a 3.23 gear, and it should run mid 15s in the 1/4 mile once healthy. Not fast by today's standards, but it will be fast enough to be fun. There is nothing about an '86 that makes it respond differently to aftermarket mods either. You could put a 350 in it, re-use all the stock intake, exhaust and electronics, and just swap the chip or have one burned and you've got the same performance of the L98 cars (still not that great if we're honest). It responds just as well as any other year thirdgen to mods, and if you want one to actually be fast, you have to change all the same stuff on an '86 that you'd change on any other year.

I daily drive thirdgens in spring/summer/fall, have since 1997. I drive them to work and for work, I drive them for pleasure. I've had various versions, all of them V8 cars. If you want a fun driver that sounds good and isn't boring, this '86 will be just fine. If you want something with some zip, do a cam/intake/exhaust on the LB9 and you'll have a solid mid/low 14sec car. My '86 with modded 305 and a 5spd went 13.70@101mph.

Point is, don't shy away from the '86 just because it has a crappy cam and is only rated at 190hp. In the grand scheme of things, it's not something that should totally sink the car for you. If you like it, if you are OK with it's condition and you can get it for a price you're comfortable at, then go for it.
I agree, Jeremy. I often hear '86 hate because of the third brake light and peanut cam. But every automatic LB9 from '86 through '89* had the peanut cam, but only the '86s get the heat over it.

*The '90-'92 LB9 auto had the L98 cam, but with the L03 exhaust, which essentially gave the same effect.

Last edited by chazman; 08-15-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

86s catch the heat because in 86 that's as good as it got. That's the best combination available in 86, and 1986 thirdgens should really feel bad about that. LOL

...And their stupid third brake light too!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

i still want to know what the third gen experts on this board would pay for this car right now knowing it needs a paint job and mechanical to make it a right ??
Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ray jr
i still want to know what the third gen experts on this board would pay for this car right now knowing it needs a paint job and mechanical to make it a right ??
Mechanically it needs a tune up and hopefully it will fix the bad running problem, maybe injectors or worse I don't know yet. It for sure needs tires. The engine is defiantly leaking oil out of a few places underneath, though nothing to bad. The paint can mostly been cleaned up but I don't know if it will ever shine like new. The previous owner has been put in the nursing home a few years ago so the car has been sitting for the past few years.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Mechanically it needs a tune up and hopefully it will fix the bad running problem, maybe injectors or worse I don't know yet. It for sure needs tires. The engine is defiantly leaking oil out of a few places underneath, though nothing to bad. The paint can mostly been cleaned up but I don't know if it will ever shine like new. The previous owner has been put in the nursing home a few years ago so the car has been sitting for the past few years.
so a few grand in mechanical to make it right , tires , tune up , injectors , maybe some suspension pieces , brakes , leaks fixed etc .. and to make it a cream puff it would need a respray and new decals .. so someone who wants to make this a real nice iroc will probably have to spend 2k in mechanical and if you can get a deal 4k in a paint job .. at 6k into the car to make it sweet again , what is a good price to pay for it is the million dollar question ?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

I'm no expert, but the condensed version...

I would want to be in it closer to $1500 so that I can still sell the car for a profit at $3500.
Truthfully, I don't think I'd give $1,500 for it if it were for sale locally. It's not the kind of thirdgen I get excited about. If it were an 89-92 with dual cats, I'd find it a lot more interesting.

Half the cars on CL are like that. Those car's next stop is a parts car.
Funny you mention that. There's a Firebird local to me that I've seen around for several years. Originally it was exceptionally nice. Second owner I know of used it as a daily driver and drove it delivering pizzas for several years. Car was pretty trashed at that point, but it could have been saved. About a year ago it popped up on Craigslist and I just missed the car. Now it's back up on craigslist, third owner I know of is trying to sell it. But now the car is so trashed there's not even anything on it worth salvaging. One year of abuse too much and it's pure garbage.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

so what do you think a nice 40k resprayed iroc is worth .. i say around 8k
Old 08-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

Agreed 8k if it was resprayed.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

$0. It's a 1986 with an automatic.

If this car was very well restored to the point it could fool us without closer inspection, I could see that easily. Condition seems to be king, with low miles and good options being the next biggest factors. While I prefer original paint, I'm not against a repaint if it is done properly. We tend to stigmatize resprays because, well... most people cheap out on them.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28

I think the car would have more value to someone such as yourself (mechanic who can fix it and has a place to fix it) than to some of us who are less talented and don't have access to lifts and other "helpful" items most repair shops have. I like the color combo and it seems you are in a position to make a pretty good guess as to what is going to be needed. I like the car, you don't have to paint it to enjoy driving it. Figur what you think it will take to get it going and safe and deduct that from what it's worth to you. I do know a IROC is in a lot more demand than a C4 Corvette.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Supreme Member

The paint can mostly been cleaned up but I don't know if it will ever shine like new. .

If the clear coat hasn't failed - yes it can! And that would be a very satisfying transformation.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.56

I know from the pics it looks a very nice and unaltered original with low miles,that should bring a good price.To me it is easier to fix the mechanical things and have a clean rust free straight body and nice interior,even if it needs a respray.

I would be prepared to replace the fuel tank and pump,clean or replace the injectors,plugs,cap and rotor,plug wires,fuel filter,front caliper brake hoses and valve cover gaskets.Being an 86 it will have the one piece rear main and it should not give any problems with oil leaks

I would change all of the fluids too,doing this yourself should be fairly cheap and that would be what I would consider in the price.
I personally think it would be worth $3,000-3500 the way it is,I think another $1000-1500 it would be a very nice car minus the paint issues.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 AM

I'm with you guys on this. The crappy horsepower rating, that third brake light (is attrocious), and the automatic are all killers for the car. Definitely needs some paint work and decal work in a few spots. Not my most desirable car but i dont have to travel a distance to find it and I have seen all that is wrong from a first hand view.

the problem is that right now the lady who inherited the car has been doing "research" and I think she may think it is worth $12,000 after I make it run good. She wants everything she can get, for some reason. She's is already extremely rich. She is a lawyer and own a bank in town. It is going to be a long journey for me to get a hold of this car.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 AM

The lady says the car is dangerous to drive and wont consider selling it untill that is fixed. I'm stuck doing some of the obvious work to make it run better. If I can condem the gas tank or fuel pump or engine as bad then I can get the car for a reasonable price
Old 08-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

I'm with you guys on this. The crappy horsepower rating, that third brake light (is attrocious), and the automatic are all killers for the car. Definitely needs some paint work and decal work in a few spots. Not my most desirable car but i dont have to travel a distance to find it and I have seen all that is wrong from a first hand view.

the problem is that right now the lady who inherited the car has been doing "research" and I think she may think it is worth $12,000 after I make it run good. She wants everything she can get, for some reason. She's is already extremely rich. She is a lawyer and own a bank in town. It is going to be a long journey for me to get a hold of this car.
Yeah, you know, it's tough when you are the first guy to make an offer. You always look like a lowballer to the seller. With that said, this is exactly the kind of car which would interest me. One owner, lower miles, all original and unmolested. To me that's worth a premium.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.56

It sounds like the odds of getting the car at a cheap or reasonable price are getting slim,that is a bummer.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

I got so distracted by all the '86 hate I forgot to actually contribute to the thread LOL. I just sold an '85 Z28 about a month ago. NOT an IROC, a Z28. It had 90k miles, nice interior, terrible horrible junk paint, needed shocks but nothing else mechanically even the cruise and AC worked. I daily drove it while I had it. I initially listed it at $3750 and got good interest (2-3 people per week) but no buyers. 3-4 weeks for sale and I got a buyer at $3250. He was happy and so was I.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

12,000 ,lol .. she must of went on ebay and saw all those overpriced irocs that have been sitting on there forever ... shes gonna have that car for the rest of her life if she wants that much for it ..
Old 08-16-2018, 12:49 PM

12,000 ,lol .. she must of went on ebay and saw all those overpriced irocs that have been sitting on there forever ... shes gonna have that car for the rest of her life if she wants that much for it ..
That is what I am thinking she did too. I figure that car will rot before she gets anything near that price. I wanted to laugh at the boyfriend when I asked him. I couldn't bring myself to be that mean. She may be crazy enough to have paint work done and engine rebuilt to get a high dollar amount. I don't think she is that crazy because that would ruin what the car has going for it in my opinion. Hopefully It doesn't take her long to come around to a better state of mind.

On another note, a guy offered $6500 for my Corvette the other day. With that money I could make an actual reasonable offer for the car. I dont know if I like it better than my Corvette, especially it being an 86 IROC which isn't the most desirable but it is in better condition than my corvette. I have some serious first would people problems.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM

One other thing, before i leave work today I am going to get the RPO codes. Where is the best place to go to get the information to decipher them?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

One other thing, before i leave work today I am going to get the RPO codes. Where is the best place to go to get the information to decipher them?
Get a clear picture and post it here. We'll tell you what it has.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 PM

here they are
Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

here they are
Highlights: LB9, 3.23 rear, aluminum rear drums, non-posi.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

The lady says the car is dangerous to drive and wont consider selling it untill that is fixed. I'm stuck doing some of the obvious work to make it run better. If I can condem the gas tank or fuel pump or engine as bad then I can get the car for a reasonable price
Yeah, no, I wouldn't bend the truth to try to get an 86. Your integrity is worth more than an old car.

Go figure. The wealthy generally don't get wealthy or stay wealthy by giving away assets. If she says she wants $12k for it, thank her for time and walk away. If it's meant to be, she'll come around when she comes to her senses. It's not anything to get worked up over.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, no, I wouldn't bend the truth to try to get an 86. Your integrity is worth more than an old car.

Go figure. The wealthy generally don't get wealthy or stay wealthy by giving away assets. If she says she wants $12k for it, thank her for time and walk away. If it's meant to be, she'll come around when she comes to her senses. It's not anything to get worked up over.
I agree. Make a reasonable offer and let them decide. At $12K, she'll soon tire of the no response......
Old 08-16-2018, 05:17 PM

Absolutely not, I would never lie to a customer about their car. I was just saying that if I could find proof of something bad then I will use it to my advantage but no lies.

I started it up today for the first time since Monday. Sure enough, it blew oil out the tail pipes. I found three shocks leaking, and the rear end leaking from the pinion seal and the cover. The engine is leaking out the back of the intake I believe. It has oil all over the transmission and the back part of the oil pan.

The biggest thing that concerns me is the color of the gas. I replaced the fuel filter and caught the gas to take a look at it. It has already started to turn. It is a dark color and is starting to smell bad. They may get that new gas will fix that. In some of my experiences. The gas tank usually gets a film on the inside and turns all the new gas into a dark smelly substance.

and I got pictures of everything I found to show her. Just in case she doesnt believe me.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

I started it up today for the first time since Monday. Sure enough, it blew oil out the tail pipes. I found three shocks leaking, and the rear end leaking from the pinion seal and the cover. The engine is leaking out the back of the intake I believe. It has oil all over the transmission and the back part of the oil pan.

The biggest thing that concerns me is the color of the gas. I replaced the fuel filter and caught the gas to take a look at it. It has already started to turn. It is a dark color and is starting to smell bad. They may get that new gas will fix that. In some of my experiences. The gas tank usually gets a film on the inside and turns all the new gas into a dark smelly substance.
Absolutely nothing in that statement makes me think this car is worth any less. Original 80's Thirdgen with bad valve seals, old gas, and oil seepage at the intake, pinon and cover - all are EXACTLY what you would expect from this car. Not worth 12G's,... but still easily in the 5-8 range that Chaz mentioned.

P.S. Here's what the horrible looking 80K original mile paint looked like on my ( now sold ) 85Z as it was getting buffed,........ I'm guessing the results will be similar on this car.

Last edited by John in RI; 08-16-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: edit: Added "intake"
Old 08-16-2018, 11:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '86 Iroc Z & '91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI & 305 Qjet - Future LC9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Tell her to get the chip updated. In '86, the early ones were buggy.. My '86 runs like a '89.. Last code for the MAF cars.. It deletes the 9th injector. Unplug it and/or block it off.. Lower Fan turn on/off temps 210/195, delate Vats.I left the rest stock.. By the way... I love my exclusive one year only bubble third brake light much better than the interior one in my '91 -- I have 140000 on the '86 5 digit odometer shows 40k.. Still looks and drives like new... 16k anyone?

Quick Reply: Need advice on price of 1986 Camaro