Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

does any happen to have a layout of a 1989 firebird 2.8L v6 engine?

Old 09-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird Base
Engine: v6 2.8L
Transmission: automatic 4 speed
does any happen to have a layout of a 1989 firebird 2.8L v6 engine?

I am in need of a layout to help relaceing some of my relays and connectors. any information on whats what would be a great help to me...if so please contact me at the phone number via text 2287310506
Old 09-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 657 Likes on 467 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: does any happen to have a layout of a 1989 firebird 2.8L v6 engine?

Originally Posted by Brandoncolcord3
I am in need of a layout to help relaceing some of my relays and connectors. any information on whats what would be a great help to me...if so please contact me at the phone number via text 2287310506
I have this , if it's at all helpful ...
Attached Thumbnails does any happen to have a layout of a 1989 firebird 2.8L v6 engine?-fig40_1989_2_8l_engine_wiring.gif  
Old 09-15-2018, 03:52 PM

im sorry but im not sure I can understand that lol im not necessarily a mechanic.... thank you anyways..
Old 09-15-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brandoncolcord3
My enginr looks like this. And what in trying to find out is what are those three relays on the top right of the engine
Old 09-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

If you are going to be owning and hopefully driving one of these cars you need to get at least a rudimentary manual
and learn how to read a wiring diagram unless you feel like paying somebody to do it. If you trace the colors of the wires on those relays back to a diagram they'll answer your questions.
Have fun
Old 09-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Oh yeah, by the way do you have a reason for suspecting any of those relays to be at fault? Anything not working right?
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM

and my ac and heat was working...granted the cold wasn't like super cold, but it worked and blew hard. and then just died out in a matter of 1 week.
and on top of that my engine cooling fan isn't working and we replaced my fan motor but still nothing. and about the third relay to the far right at the top right, which may be slightly out of view bc of the picture angle, one of the five metal prongs or whatever in it is missing when it shouldn't be. that's why I need to know what it is.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

The relay connector you are talking about, how many wires are coming out of it and what colors are they?
Old 09-15-2018, 11:38 PM

five wires and id have to go check the colors
Old 09-15-2018, 11:51 PM

maybe 6 let me double check
Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 PM

See if you look at it im not sure bc it looks like its missing one
Old 09-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Looks like it has 4, and is supposed to have 4.

A similar model of relay has 5. The 5th isn't used in the one you have.

The cooling fan relay, as is clearly shown on the schematic that was provided to you free of charge and effort on your part even though you have exerted no effort to learn from it, has red & blk/red wires that are the big fat kind, and grn/wht & brn ones that are smaller. I can't tell what that is in your hand because it's so filthy the wire colors are all … misc shades of black. Looks like you should put some effort into some cleanliness as well.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:41 AM

I only didn't apply effort to the schematics bc I have absolutely no idea on how to read it. And I was trying to look up how to read them so I could learn. and thank you for pointing out the colors for the cooling fan relay. im just trying to learn about my car. but have no one near me who knows much about them so I reverted to using this website which people would clearly have more knowledge of them.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 AM

and about the relay I only thought it was missing one bc it has 5 pins in it.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

You will find that relays and other components often have unused pins. It's because these are universal components used for MANY applications in hundreds of different models. In any case you don't know what a relay does or how it works and that specific relay in your hand has nothing to do with the cooling fan, HVAC bower motor, heat or AC.

We understand that you want to learn but this is going to be extremely difficult by asking questions here as you will be unable to follow the directions given without some electrical knowledge and diagnostic tools. This kind of automotive troubleshooting is outside the abilities of MANY members of even this forum, and is considered one of the more highly skilled types of automotive work. Indeed even in shop environments - most shops are lucky to have one or two people that can handle a meter and a scope.

It would be better if you start with more rudimentary tasks like changing your fluids and doing some proper cleaning of your engine bay and identifying different parts, etc. Take the car to a shop to have these electrical problems sorted out or at least have a diagnostic done on them. Maybe take a class at your local community college. We are here to help of course but you should start with the basics or you will be quickly overwhelmed.

GD
Old 09-16-2018, 10:57 AM

okay I understand, thank you
Old 09-16-2018, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 657 Likes on 467 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Ok , time to shed some light here ....

First and foremost , the relays that live beside the power brake booster are NOT the same across the 82 through 92 model year run / specific engine configuration . Meaning , the 8 cylinder cars have some different relays in that location than the 2.8 V6 cars do .

With that established , the three relays in the OP's 1989 V6 car that are next to the brake booster are : The radiator fan relay , The fuel pump relay , And the AC compressor clutch relay . And you can take that to the bank , as Baretta used to say . The MAF power relay (only one , no "burnoff" relay in the 2.8 V6) is located next to the radiator with the VATS starter kill relay in the same place on all cars regardless of numbers of cylinders , as is the HVAC blower high speed relay also in the same place be it V6 or V8 . It's differences like this that makes V6 discussions better suited to the V6 subforum .....

I believe 8 cylinder MAF cars have a fuel pump relay , a MAF power relay , and a MAF burnoff relay in that same location .( 1989 2.8 V6 is a MAF setup , MAP didn't come to the V6 till the 1990 3.1)

Last edited by OrangeBird; 09-16-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarify my point
Old 09-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

I have absolutely no idea on how to read it
Start with the REAL SIMPLE stuff:

Red. Black. Green. You see a bunch of words related to those? Can you understand them? Not too "hard" for you? OK great, that's a TERRIFIC beginning on reading the schematic. Those words tell you the color of the wires. Not too tough so far?

Next let's move to a little harder stuff. Fuel pump relay. Injectors. Engine control module. Those words tell you about the THINGS the wires connect to. You might not "know" what all of them are, but seeing all of them right there on the page in front of you, shouldn't be too hard to grasp that those are the parts that the wires hook up to. Are we still good here? Anything we should go back over?

Then, look at the large box named "engine control module". You'll notice that each of the "wires" going to it has a letter & number associated with it INSIDE the box (C1 & C2), and another letter & number around the OUTSIDE of the box (A6, B3, and so on). THe numbers INSIDE the box tell you the connector number (connector #1, #2, and so on), and the ones OUTSIDE the box, around the edge tell you what point in the connector the wire goes to. Each connector has rows (A, B, C) and multiple points per row (the number part). OK?

OK now it gets a little tougher. A solid line means 1 of 2 things; EITHER it's a wire that goes from some one thing to some other, OR, it's part of a "box", which symbolizes a "thing" that wires can connect to. A dot where 2 wires cross means that there's a connection there; no dot (GM schematics are kept simple, there might not be any such) tells you that there's no connection, but rather that the wires just needed to get from one spot to another on the drawing but unavoidably had to cross over each other... imagine that one is laying on the page, and another is an inch above or below it, instead of touching. Again, study the drawing, let it soak in, don't try to go farther until you've got your brain totally wrapped around the idea.

Now that that's sunk in, let's look at what's inside the boxes. In the case of relays, let's say the fuel pump one for example, there's what looks like a wire going in, then something that looks a bit like a hinge, then a slanted wire that looks like it could point to either of 2 other points. Well, that's because that's EXACTLY what it is... a relay is the simplest possible electric (it's NOT even "electronic"... it's MUCH older and cruder than anything "electronic", which referred to "electron tubes" originally, then later, transistors) device. It's an electrically controlled switch. It contains a coil, that serves as an electromagnet, indicated on the schematic by a line with squiggles that are sort of rounded like a bunch of humps. The coil can attract to itself a piece of iron with contacts attached to it, which allows a very small amount of electric power in the coil, to control a MUCH larger amount of power via the contacts. In the case of the fuel pump relay, that translates to a few thousandths of an ampere (an ampere is literally a count of the # of electrons flowing past a point per unit time: it's approximately 6.24 ×10 to the 18th power electrons per second, quite a few electrons; a billion is 10 to the 9th power, so 10 to the 18th is a billion billions) controlling a current of around 20 - 30 amperes, or thought of another way, a "current gain" of something around 10,000. (a small current controlling a current in the neighborhood of about 10,000 times larger)

Those few concepts will get you well along toward interpreting that schematic. Posting on here about "I can't" is going to get you nothing useful. That schematic IS the language of electricity. You will remain ignorant and in possession of a non-working car until you learn this. LEARN IT.

One of the hardest things about teaching is disabusing new students of the notion that something is "hard", that they're "not good" at it, that it's a "foreign language". As a sometime university math professor, the FIRST THING I usually have to do, is to coax that idea out of my students' heads. For that matter, foreign languages are the same way; to me, if a 2-yr-old kid can learn it, there's no reason I can't. They're just simply not "hard". I speak several and can learn them when I travel somewhere in a matter of days, for no reason other than, I don't resist learning them; they just... sort of... force their way in. I can usually understand their written form much quicker than that, at least, enough to read typical signs like "exit", "here" "three", and so forth, within a matter of minutes of arrival. All I have to do is put "hard" out of my mind, apply both my brain cells at the same time, and voilą!! the language simply jumps into me. (you are correct: French is one of them that I'm most fluent in) I suggest you do the same: turn off your "it's hard" "I can't do it" "I have no idea" filter, just LOOK AT the diagram, and discover that YOU CAN DO THIS.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 09-16-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:28 PM

I'll definitely be studying that with the ways that you explained, made me feel pretty stupid but you made it have some kind of sense to it. Ill put this to work!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Great encouragement, but I don't think reading the schematic is going to be useful without some knowledge of electrical theory. You can look at the parts and see that colored wires are connecting them and check that all the wires are indeed connected on the car and have the same colors.... that's still considerably less advanced than he needs to be to do the required troubleshooting. He hasn't got a component location map, or any idea when specific things are supposed to happen in relation to other things. Electricity being, for the most part, invisible.....

It will be likely impossible for him to take that schematic and do anything useful with it even if he can decipher the wire colors, and what components they attach too. He has no theory of operation on any of it. Doubt he knows what a relay is or does.

GD
Old 09-16-2018, 06:52 PM

not really tbh.