Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.
View Poll Results: October 2018 Car of the Month
charlie6178
14.46%
Jay_rich
25.30%
88IROCvertZ
34.94%
ksr
25.30%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

October 2018 COTM **Voting Thread**

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:26 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA
October 2018 COTM **Voting Thread**

charlie6178*****1992 Z28 1LE

Jay_rich*****1987 Z28

88IROCvertZ*****1988 IROC Convertible

ksr*****1988 GTA
Old 09-21-2018, 03:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2
Re: October 2018 COTM **Voting Thread**

Thanks!
I know I have been nominated several times for COTM and have never quite been able to bring it home, but I’m thankful that there’s a few that haven’t given up on my 88 Vert!

This is my third, Third Gen. I’ve only owned cars with Chevy V8s in my life and only Camaros, Tahoes and one Corvette.

That story is here:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...thirdgens.html

This car took me about 4 years to find. I decided I wanted to find an IROC again and see what was out there. After a decade of not owning one and working a side job to save up some money, I decided I wanted a convertible. My drag racing days were over, my driving record was clean as a whistle, and I always envied how awesome the convertibles looked. It had lines like an exotic and to me, one of the most beautiful cars of all time.

I searched every day for years all local sources for IROC convertibles and never had much luck. There was always something “off”. I didn’t want one with swapped out wheels, wood grain interior, and a grant steering wheel. I loved how these cars were brand new and that’s what I wanted.

I had to expand the search and consider buying sight unseen. The convertible I bought I had seen for sale on EBay years before I bought it and it was ridiculously over-priced for back then. I used to just look through the pictures and wished I could have it. As I saved more money I noticed the car didn’t sell and was listed again. Once again it didn’t sell. I messaged the owner and got some information about the car.

He was a police chief in Southern Illinois. He is retired now and had barely been using the car since his wife wasn’t too keen on driving with the top down these days. He stored it in a heated garage with his motor cycles and never got the car wet in two decades. No winter and no rain ever. He was the second owner and as far as he knew the first owner had it in storage with other cars and had only put a few thousand miles on it.

I got tons of videos and pictures of the car and even got a signed agreement on the condition of the car mechanically. I was told up and down the car needed nothing and was meticulously maintained. I was told the front end had chips and spider cracks and he basically said for about $2000 in paint and PDR the car would be showroom condition.

I got $5000 off the original price of the car since I pulled the trigger in Winter and was able to make the argument that the asking price would be more for a low mile showroom car. We agreed it was a very good condition, low mile unrestored car but not showroom.

When the car showed up it looked better than I expected. Underneath was spotless and all it needed was an alignment. The car drives great, everything works (even cruise control!), and even 80 MPH on the highway is as smooth as my 2012 Tahoe. It doesn’t feel like a 30 year old car.

I had the car painted because it looked really good until the sun hit the front end. I decided I wanted this car to look good from 1 inch away. This wouldn’t be a 20 footer, 10 footer or “looks good in photos”. My goal for this car is to have every inch look brand new from up close in the sunlight.

The painter was an award winning restorer of Concourse and Show Quality Cars that I used to know when I was detailing high end cars in college. When I brought him the car he looked it over in all the door jams and lines and said, “This thing is mint and no rust anywhere, where did you find this?” I told him it didn’t need to be a $20k paint job.. I just want it to look factory original. He said, “You won’t be disappointed, I don’t just paint cars, I restore them..”

He saved all the original emblems that you can’t get anywhere and he left all the jams with the factory decals untouched. The paint matches so perfectly, you’d never know..

The car is all original, untouched and stock. The previous owner had some generic aftermarket exhaust I had changed to Magnaflow and I changed the tips to smaller ones that didn’t stick out as much. I am going back this fall to get factory style tail pipes back on.

Other than the exhaust, the tires had to be changed out and the previous owner had swapped out the radio and speakers with an Alpine system that had an iPod cable. He gave me the original speakers and radio in the Alpine boxes. The battery was also changed out to an Interstate, but that’s about it.

The factory floor mats are mint and I only put them in for shows. The car even has the original spare and inflator that we’re never used.

I had a problem with the Tonneau release slider, but luckily a member on here (my82roc) had one and I was able to swap it out! Other than that I’ve just been doing some extreme detailing..

I get the comment, “It looks brand new”. All the time, so I guess I am achieving my goals with this car. I know I am very happy with it!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Thanks!
I know I have been nominated several times for COTM and have never quite been able to bring it home, but I’m thankful that there’s a few that haven’t given up on my 88 Vert!
Being 100% serious when I say this.......I think you and your car suffer from ScottMoyer syndrome, with regard to COTM. That is to say, you're car is so good looking and so flawless, and you are very active on the forums, it's almost like you're just a given, and perhaps overlooked. How many times did it take Scott to win? -I know it was several. We know you through your posts, and know your car quite well now as well.....I think people are naturally drawn to the new cars we haven't seen (as much) even if maybe not quite on the same level as yours. -and that's not to say the other 3 people against you this month, or any past month aren't on the level.....just speaking generally.

I think I see your car and I automatically just KNOW it's one of the nicest, cleanest cars on the forum. When I see some of the other cars nominated I almost take more time with them because I haven't seen them, and maybe sometimes cast a vote towards something outside the norm, or something different. -I do this every month I think, not just with regard to yours.

Your car could go up against ANY class of COTM nominees from this forum and could rightfully win. I think that maybe that's why is doesn't.

I hope that comes across as a compliment. Your car is amazing.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

88IrocVertZ, if your car runs as original as it looks (and I'll bet it does), that's A+ in my book. Amazing. It's a literal time machine. And the competition is always tough but you got my vote.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Being 100% serious when I say this.......I think you and your car suffer from ScottMoyer syndrome, with regard to COTM. That is to say, you're car is so good looking and so flawless, and you are very active on the forums, it's almost like you're just a given, and perhaps overlooked. How many times did it take Scott to win? -I know it was several. We know you through your posts, and know your car quite well now as well.....I think people are naturally drawn to the new cars we haven't seen (as much) even if maybe not quite on the same level as yours. -and that's not to say the other 3 people against you this month, or any past month aren't on the level.....just speaking generally.

I think I see your car and I automatically just KNOW it's one of the nicest, cleanest cars on the forum. When I see some of the other cars nominated I almost take more time with them because I haven't seen them, and maybe sometimes cast a vote towards something outside the norm, or something different. -I do this every month I think, not just with regard to yours.

Your car could go up against ANY class of COTM nominees from this forum and could rightfully win. I think that maybe that's why is doesn't.

I hope that comes across as a compliment. Your car is amazing.
Thank You! That is a great compliment in my book and I’m a fan of your car!

I know now how it works because sometimes I have felt bad about casting a vote myself. Sometimes you feel like you’re voting against the other cars, but that’s not really it. It really should be about showcasing your car and you should take pride in being asked to! I understand why people want to see new cars in there. I think if there were more nominees every month it would be less of a drag to see some familiar cars a couple times/year. There are people that I think do deserve to be re-nominated.

I am mostly into the stock, low mile cars personally but I have voted for other people that have had impressive builds that show well. I appreciate any third gen that’s “turned out” nice and can show well along with tasteful mods and performance.

Two flame red and and two white this month.. also pretty cool..
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ

Thank You! That is a great compliment in my book and I’m a fan of your car!

I know now how it works because sometimes I have felt bad about casting a vote myself. Sometimes you feel like you’re voting against the other cars, but that’s not really it. It really should be about showcasing your car and you should take pride in being asked to! I understand why people want to see new cars in there. I think if there were more nominees every month it would be less of a drag to see some familiar cars a couple times/year. There are people that I think do deserve to be re-nominated.

I am mostly into the stock, low mile cars personally but I have voted for other people that have had impressive builds that show well. I appreciate any third gen that’s “turned out” nice and can show well along with tasteful mods and performance.

Two flame red and and two white this month.. also pretty cool..
The plus side of always being nominated is that you are always in the spotlight!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang
88IrocVertZ, if your car runs as original as it looks (and I'll bet it does), that's A+ in my book. Amazing. It's a literal time machine. And the competition is always tough but you got my vote.
Thanks man! It fires right up and growls nice. My mechanic buddy that checked it out when it got here took it for a ride and asked, “you sure it’s not a 350? Feels really good..”. Yup just a dawg 305! I had to explain there were different 305 setups and this was no stock Monte Carlo SS 305. It’s no 350, but it is more fun than I thought it would be.

Hasn’t even dripped a drop of oil since I got it and am hoping that holds out!

Last edited by 88IROCvertZ; 09-21-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC "The Duece"
Engine: 5.7 TPI L98

You have a beautiful car there sir. I have the brother to yours except mine has T-tops but it is the same color. I used to think mine looked pretty good with factory paint and all being 30 years old but after seeing yours, I'm considering a repaint! Yours looks awesome and that's the way I want to feel about mine.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC "The Duece"
Engine: 5.7 TPI L98

Quick Question: where did you source your decals after the repaint?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1LE
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: SLP dana 44 3.92

So my car is a 1992 Z28 1LE L98 automatic car. It has 87k on it, I have owned it since 2007. It has always been my favorite car of my bunch. I recently put the SLP ZR1's on it and the door stickers. I had the entire car stripped to bare metal, painted, and all new OEM gm trim pieces put on it back in 2012. I recently decided to do the full SLP catalog build with it, and sourced out an SLP T ram intake, SLP 1 3/4 headers, SLP 2OTL exhaust, and an SLP Dana 44 with 3.92's in it.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Hawgtied
Quick Question: where did you source your decals after the repaint?
I sent you a PM so as not to monopolize this thread with paint, emblem and decal talk..

Phoenix Graphix has the best decals.. really amazing quality

Last edited by 88IROCvertZ; 09-21-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

So my car is a 1992 Z28 1LE L98 automatic car.
....man that car is CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That white just pops. ...any interior or underhood pics?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1LE
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: SLP dana 44 3.92

I'll pull it out this weekend and get some pics of the interior and under the hood, it had grey corbeau GTSll seats, a B4C bolt in 4 point roll bar out of a wrecked cop car a guy locally was parting out years ago. I haven't driven it much the last few years but getting all of the SLP parts for it has me on a new honeymoon with the ol' girl!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 236 Likes on 182 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by charlie6178
I'll pull it out this weekend and get some pics of the interior and under the hood, it had grey corbeau GTSll seats, a B4C bolt in 4 point roll bar out of a wrecked cop car a guy locally was parting out years ago. I haven't driven it much the last few years but getting all of the SLP parts for it has me on a new honeymoon with the ol' girl!

Yes more photos if you can, WE still have 2 that need to post pics and stories.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:22 AM
ksr

Received 221 Likes on 158 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 liter V-8
Transmission: 4 speed auto

Thanks for the nomination! I'm not going for the "Aw, what a humble guy let's vote for him" strategy, but I don't know that I'll even be voting for my own car. Pretty stiff competition here.

This is my third 3rd gen Firebird. I bought a 1990 Formula new in 1990 that I kept until 1998, another 1990 Formula in 2003 that I kept until 2009, and this 1988 GTA back in February. It was sight-unseen outside of the pics and videos on eBay. I can't take much credit for it's appearance. I had only one prior owner and was obviously well cared for. All stock to the best of my knowledge, outside of tires of course.

I'm not the best photographer, lot of glare here. The picture above that was nominated actually came from the dealer that sold it to me..

Old 09-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0

All nice cars here for sure, congrats to all the nominee's - well done!
I'm partial to Flame red cars and verts! Good luck to all......
Old 09-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Beautiful GTA ksr! One of my favorites for sure and a car I also wanted back in the day..

Pictures are cool, but some of these modified cars like the SLP one I’d love to hear as well.. I know I have played the sound clip of Linson’s formula a few times..

Here’s an old thread of my Magnaflow exhaust.. not bad, but I know there are great sounding cars too.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exha...magnaflow.html

I love the pics, stories and presentation as well!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:10 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

These are defintely nice cars this month!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28
Engine: 2005 5.3L, LS6 Cam
Axle/Gears: DTS 9" 3.50 TrueTrac

Wow, I've never been nominated. Thanks!
here are some more photos.

For those that do not know the details

1987 Z28 (60k or miles)
2005 5.3L LS
LS6 cam
Victor Jr intake
GT45 turbo (all built myself)
MS3pro for engine management
T56 monster stage 4 clutch
Moser 9" 3.55 true track
xxr 526 18x10.5 and 18x9 on nitro invos. 295/275
Koni yellows all around
Sphon coilover front
weight jack rear

ETC

Old 09-22-2018, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Great pictures Jay_rich.. love the stance of the car
Old 09-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

Originally Posted by Jay_rich
Wow, I've never been nominated. Thanks!
here are some more photos.

For those that do not know the details

1987 Z28 (60k or miles)
2005 5.3L LS
LS6 cam
Victor Jr intake
GT45 turbo (all built myself)
MS3pro for engine management
T56 monster stage 4 clutch
Moser 9" 3.55 true track
xxr 526 18x10.5 and 18x9 on nitro invos. 295/275
Koni yellows all around
Sphon coilover front
weight jack rear

ETC

https://youtu.be/834zM5cmozI

Can we see the engine in that beast? I don't know how you've never been nominated.....that was the first thing I thought of when I saw this car. You're welcome for the nomination It's well deserved to be in the voting!
Old 09-22-2018, 04:26 PM
ksr

I often complain about how the auto world has become a boring sea of silver, gray, black, and white cars. But each of those colors looks good on the right car. I've always had a soft spot for white 3rd gens. My first one was white. Those are two beautiful Camaros.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ksr
I often complain about how the auto world has become a boring sea of silver, gray, black, and white cars. But each of those colors looks good on the right car. I've always had a soft spot for white 3rd gens. My first one was white. Those are two beautiful Camaros.
I hear ya. I was never a fan of white. My dad bought his white 84 z28 in 1999. It didn't do anything for me. I wanted blue. Ended up owning a red for 5 years then searched for a white because I all of a sudden fell in love with white camaros. I desperately wanted one with red interior.

beautiful bird btw!

Jay
Old 09-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Just watched the vid.. sounds great Jay_rich!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

I'm anxiously waiting for underhood pics of the 2 white Camaros!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dagwood
I'm anxiously waiting for underhood pics of the 2 white Camaros!
Definitely, especially after seeing that video Jay-rich put up.. you guys should check it out..

In the meantime here’s a few more I couldn’t fit..

Condition of the wheels I was very happy with and very glad it didn’t have weights or any marks from wheel weights on the wheel. I always tell the tire guys not to use the clamp on weights.

I didn’t put any rear angle shots so here are some that I liked:

Here’s a low front angle pic (I think these cars look really cool from this angle)

And here’s one from Seacoast Cars and Coffee which is significant to me in that there are probably over 1000 cars there on this once/month event and my IROC made the cut on their social media blast. I’m in a small Camaro club and they were psyched to see I made the cut and instantly alerted me.. There was a mint Grand National to the right of me and an amazing 67 Vette to the left, so I like to think they had a soft spot for Thirdgens there.

And to those getting cars painted, save these emblems and maybe don’t paint the jams where the decals are.. The repro emblems are not great.. There’s a good thread about the rear Tuned Port emblem being “off”, but the rocker and bumper “IROC-Z” are worse.. and it is possible to re-use the bumper emblem.. my guy did it and it came out great!

Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry forgot the Underhood. Thinking of redoing it all this winter.
Bottom one is a current 3 years after the swap. Needs a cleanup. I should have cleared the engine bay
Top was when I was building the turbo setup

Old 09-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Old 09-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Last one. My favorite.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

What a month for COTM. They're all unbelievably AWESOME!!!! Like 88IROCvertZ said in a previous COTM thread ......(may not be word for word but same point) "the world's best 3rd gens are here on this board" and this month's COTM is perfect proof of that! Hats off to all of you for the killer equipment in your garages!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Last one. My favorite.

great pics! Especially the last one! It’s the brake dust fairy princess!
Old 09-23-2018, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

Another thing to think about when painting a Vert is the rear deck protective film. The top will scratch and scuff the paint where it rubs on the rear deck. The painter recommended having a film installer make a custom replacement since 30 year old NOS adhesive might not be adequate. The film installer said he could copy the original film, but recommended just completely covering all the areas the top touches. He used XPel premium film which will never yellow, scratch or scuff and it looks invisible. Apparently he found a super low mile Grand National and after 100 hours of paint correction on the original paint he filmed the whole car and it looks incredible. I don’t know if I’d do that, but was tempting..

Old 09-23-2018, 06:09 PM
ksr

3rd gens make the best-looking convertibles. I know they were often criticized for lack of rigidity, but they sure were pretty. Outside of aftermarket conversions, I don't think there was a 3rd gen Firebird convertible until 1991 and 1992. I sort of remember reading that Pontiac wasn't happy with the structural flexibility in the Camaro and when they finally launched one, they really applied a lot of additional bonding and adhesives to keep their '91 and '92 models from rattling. Whatever. If you want a super tight car, get one with a roof!

I rented a Firebird convertible in 1992 for a week in San Diego. It was just a V-6, but was a pleasure to drive and was just a total head turner.

I don't think the Firebird or Camaro convertibles since the 3rd gen have looked nearly as good. I had a 1998 Trans Am convertible and it was a nice looking car and really powerful, but it was the start of the higher beltline cars that have persisted until now. They feel like you're sitting in a bathtub. Visibility in my '98 was so poor with the top up that it really cut into the fun of driving it. Huge blindspots.

88IROCvertZ's car makes me want to start hunting for one of my own.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:13 PM
ksr

Last one. My favorite.

Almost makes me wish I had kids. Those crosslace wheels on my GTA are a bitch to clean. That's a task I'd like to delegate to a kid.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ksr
3rd gens make the best-looking convertibles. I know they were often criticized for lack of rigidity, but they sure were pretty. Outside of aftermarket conversions, I don't think there was a 3rd gen Firebird convertible until 1991 and 1992. I sort of remember reading that Pontiac wasn't happy with the structural flexibility in the Camaro and when they finally launched one, they really applied a lot of additional bonding and adhesives to keep their '91 and '92 models from rattling. Whatever. If you want a super tight car, get one with a roof!

I rented a Firebird convertible in 1992 for a week in San Diego. It was just a V-6, but was a pleasure to drive and was just a total head turner.

I don't think the Firebird or Camaro convertibles since the 3rd gen have looked nearly as good. I had a 1998 Trans Am convertible and it was a nice looking car and really powerful, but it was the start of the higher beltline cars that have persisted until now. They feel like you're sitting in a bathtub. Visibility in my '98 was so poor with the top up that it really cut into the fun of driving it. Huge blindspots.

88IROCvertZ's car makes me want to start hunting for one of my own.
I don’t notice the flex until I put it on a lift and then it freaks me out a little..

If the top is down it feels just as tight as a T-Top car. The top does make some noise when up, and I do want to find a solution to the rattles in the top.

I agree the 4th gen verts weren’t as slick looking. I almost think not having a power top was clutch to ASC really being able to hide the top and improve on the lines of the car. I know a guy with a 4th gen Vert and it has a useless Tonneau cover that snaps over the bunched up top to clean it up, but it’s such a pain he never uses it.. I don’t like a bunched up visible top on a convertible. I do think the 5th and 6th gen verts look a little better..

I wouldn’t mind trading cars with you for a day ksr! I always wanted a GTA in black or flame like yours!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 PM
ksr

I had the two-piece snap-on tonneau cover with my '98. Once in a while I'd put it on and it gave the car a nice appearance, but it was a hassle and typically was left at home.

The San Diego convertible that I rented was a nice design, I guess the same as yours. Flip up the cover on the rear storage area, manually lower the top into that area, close the cover. It gave a completely clean appearance. I guess people don't like having to get out of the car to raise or lower the top, but it was a pretty simple design.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

The top is pretty cumbersome and heavy.. I don’t think my wife would want to deal with it.

I’ve heard stories of a lot of the 4th gen Tonneau Covers blowing off on the highway too, but I bet it does clean them up a bit.. I mean, a power top is much more convenient.. I wouldn’t trade it for the lines you get without though..

Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 236 Likes on 182 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I don’t notice the flex until I put it on a lift and then it freaks me out a little..

If the top is down it feels just as tight as a T-Top car. The top does make some noise when up, and I do want to find a solution to the rattles in the top.

I agree the 4th gen verts weren’t as slick looking. I almost think not having a power top was clutch to ASC really being able to hide the top and improve on the lines of the car. I know a guy with a 4th gen Vert and it has a useless Tonneau cover that snaps over the bunched up top to clean it up, but it’s such a pain he never uses it.. I don’t like a bunched up visible top on a convertible. I do think the 5th and 6th gen verts look a little better..

I wouldn’t mind trading cars with you for a day ksr! I always wanted a GTA in black or flame like yours!
I have sub frame connectors welded in and when I went to my friends and "cross parked" in the swale I went to open my door and it hung up!. Also put your hand on your corner window frame and turn into a angle drive, you can actually feel the window frame move! I agree that the 4th gen vert does just look like an afterthought. Our 3rd gens look like they were designed that way.

All great cars this month and nice job to all the nominees in presenting your cars this month.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:24 AM
ksr

Originally Posted by vinny R
I have sub frame connectors welded in and when I went to my friends and "cross parked" in the swale I went to open my door and it hung up!. Also put your hand on your corner window frame and turn into a angle drive, you can actually feel the window frame move! I agree that the 4th gen vert does just look like an afterthought. Our 3rd gens look like they were designed that way.

All great cars this month and nice job to all the nominees in presenting your cars this month.
I think the reality was the opposite though. The 4th gen convertible was planned from the launch and the 3rd convertible was added later.

My 4th gen had very compromised vision with the top up, but it seemed very solid.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ksr
I think the reality was the opposite though. The 4th gen convertible was planned from the launch and the 3rd convertible was added later.

My 4th gen had very compromised vision with the top up, but it seemed very solid.
I agree. I think the fact that the Thirdgen verts weren’t planned is what made them special and they came out better looking than if they had sat around and planned it. They are rare and came out beautiful (probably surprising to GM) which is why I always wanted one. I only saw one convertible IROC in person growing up. Never saw a Firebird convertible in person. 4th gen verts and Mustang verts were everywhere. It seemed like they almost didn’t get made which made me want one more..

The 4th gens were technically more solid cars anyways. Even when I had my T-Top IROC, my buddy with his 96 T-Top Camaro SS would let me drive it and it seemed tighter and improved in a lot of ways. It didn’t have any of the interior rattles that even the low mile IROCs I had driven had. I liked how solid and quiet the 4th gens felt, but I personally always liked the Thirdgens better. The 4th gens were technically really good cars. And the Firebirds were superior in looks through the late 90s-2000s Those Firehawks and Ram Air Birds were sweet looking.

Last edited by 88IROCvertZ; 09-25-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:12 AM
ksr

I agree. I think the fact that the Thirdgen verts weren’t planned is what made them special and they came out better looking than if they had sat around and planned it. They are rare and came out beautiful (probably surprising to GM) which is why I always wanted one. I only saw one convertible IROC in person growing up. Never saw a Firebird convertible in person. 4th gen verts and Mustang verts were everywhere. It seemed like they almost didn’t get made which made me want one more..

The 4th gens were technically more solid cars anyways. Even when I had my T-Top IROC, my buddy with his 96 T-Top Camaro SS would let me drive it and it seemed tighter and improved in a lot of ways. It didn’t have any of the interior rattles that even the low mile IROCs I had driven had. I liked how solid and quiet the 4th gens felt, but I personally always liked the Thirdgens better. The 4th gens were technically really good cars. And the Firebirds were superior in looks through the late 90s-2000s Those Firehawks and Ram Air Birds were sweet looking.

I had a 1998 convertible Trans Am. Not as good looking as a 3rd gen in either hardtop or convertible in my opinion, but still a good looking car. Green with tan leather interior. And yeah honestly, it was a better car in every way outside of styling than the 3rd gen. It had 305 HP which doesn't really even sound that impressive these days, but 0-60 times were 5.0 seconds and Car & Driver maxed the convertible out at 162 mph. It was a beast.

When I first laid eyes on it, I figured I'd keep it for at least ten years and put a ton of miles on it. But at least for me, the visibility with the top up really ruined it for me. There were some on ramps where you literally could not see what was coming, even in the sideview mirrors, and I had to stick my head out the window. Lane changes were an adventure. (I wonder how the 6th gens are.) I regretted not having bought a t-top.

I ended up trading it on a new '02 Monte Carlo SS, which was a nice car. Then I picked up a 3rd gen as my second car (replacing a Reatta) about 18 months later.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Well at least the 6th gens probably have blind spot alert.. But I know the non convertible 5th and 6th are really bad with blind spots.. I think you would have enjoyed having the hatch on the 98 T/A..
Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 AM
ksr

Well at least the 6th gens probably have blind spot alert.. But I know the non convertible 5th and 6th are really bad with blind spots.. I think you would have enjoyed having the hatch on the 98 T/A..
I had a 5th gen V-6 LT2 hardtop. I think that the visibility problems are way overstated and I got used to it after a very short time behind the wheel. Pretty nice car. Too heavy. Kind of reminded me of a cross between a Monte Carlo and a Camaro and not so much a pony car. A good cruiser. Probably would still have it were it not for a deer on I-79 that smashed it up pretty badly after I'd had it for almost 3.5 years. It wasn't totaled, though with $13K in damages it had to be really close. It took three months to repair, but a month into that I actually traded it on a CTS Coupe with just 10K on it.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

I rented a 5th gen and it didn’t have a backup camera which I think would have helped dramatically. I was nervous about damaging the rental.. I didn’t have a ton of time to get used to it, but even the folks in my Camaro club with 6th gens complain about the visibility. The cars are quality built and fast right out of the box though.

I can get used to driving without a rear window since I’m used to traveling for work with my truck packed to the roof with equipment and/or trailering equipment and horses. I’d probably be fine with a 2018 SS

Old 09-25-2018, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Since it came up in another thread how rare and expensive mint original and NOS floor mats are I figure I’d throw up a shot of mine. I was psyched the car came with them in pretty mint condition. I shot this photo on a cloudy day I vacuumed them out to go to a trophy night but the threat of rain kept me at home. The rears never get dirty and I leave them in all the time. None of my other thirdgens came with the original mats, even my 87 with 26k Miles. This car came with pretty much everything it had when new aside from the original muffler, tires and battery. It would have been nice to have the window sticker, but the owners manual and 1988 dealer brochure were nice to have. I do want to look into getting a reproduction window sticker.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

The power of the newer Camaros is impressive. The visibility is absolutely terrible. There must be one on every street where I live which also makes me not want one. Id take a Third gen or a 4th gen Trans Am anyday.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dmccain
The power of the newer Camaros is impressive. The visibility is absolutely terrible. There must be one on every street where I live which also makes me not want one. Id take a Third gen or a 4th gen Trans Am anyday.
That’s what’s always held me back.. talked to a guy who collects cars and just bought a 6k mile IROC and owns every generation Camaro. Said he could care less about the newer ones because he likes rare cars.. He has a point.

Probably why I never really pursued the newer generations..
Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

That’s what’s always held me back.. talked to a guy who collects cars and just bought a 6k mile IROC and owns every generation Camaro. Said he could care less about the newer ones because he likes rare cars.. He has a point.

Probably why I never really pursued the newer generations..
They may seem to be everywhere today, but in 30 years...

Here are the 5th gen. sales volumes as shown on Wikipedia. Lower than many 3rd gen years, and half the life span. Rare is a relative term, but they should be comparably scarce as time goes by.

Year Sales
2009 61,648
2010 81,299
2011 88,249
2012 84,391
2013 80,567
2014 86,297
2015 77,502
Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

Good points DynoDave.. when IROCs were everywhere I don’t think anyone thought they’d be rare someday. Especially with the decade run of the thirdgens..
Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: auto

I keep seeing 5th Gens on the back of flatbeds with their front ends stove in, so I think they might be rare sooner than later...!

Quick Reply: October 2018 COTM **Voting Thread**