Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hood hinge adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC Z
Engine: 427 Stroker
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: Moser Street axles and 410 Yukon
Hood hinge adjustment

what's good everybody I'm new here I've been reading these forums for years just recently joined this form has been very helpful I just recently had my 88 painted and put new hood hinges and put shocks on now to open the hood the driver side gets in a bind and is actually nicking the edge of the windshield at the bottom the gaps are perfect and closes fine but trying to lift it up I'm wondering if the hinge on the driver side needs to be pulled forward but I'm not sure I've never done it before any help is appreciated
Old 09-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
Re: Hood hinge adjustment

there is play in the bolt holes so you can adjust the hinge how ever if your body lines are perfect there may be other issues at play. Has your fenders been off the car?

If you decide to adjust it tape off the paint around the edge of the hood and the fenders etc.
I would remove the hood latch on the front but not absolutely needed, but it allows you to hold it closed without the force to close it (thus not messing the paint)
loosen the bolts and trial and error try to adjust the hinge .

I have had the lift struts go bad and it makes it want to twist the hood as you open it, so try taking off the lift struts and see if the problem still exists.

If you just had it painted you may want to take it to the body shop to adjust, if they replaced your hinges they should make sure they are right.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aviator857
there is play in the bolt holes so you can adjust the hinge how ever if your body lines are perfect there may be other issues at play. Has your fenders been off the car?

If you decide to adjust it tape off the paint around the edge of the hood and the fenders etc.
I would remove the hood latch on the front but not absolutely needed, but it allows you to hold it closed without the force to close it (thus not messing the paint)
loosen the bolts and trial and error try to adjust the hinge .

I have had the lift struts go bad and it makes it want to twist the hood as you open it, so try taking off the lift struts and see if the problem still exists.

If you just had it painted you may want to take it to the body shop to adjust, if they replaced your hinges they should make sure they are right.
thanks for thanks for the response I just put new Monroe struts on it and it's still doing it and the fenders were not off the car just the hinges where one of them was a little loose they advised me to get new ones so I did closing it is perfect but opening it the driver side is the one that wants to bind which is hitting the very edge bottom of the windshield so I'm guessing it has to be the hinge adjustment is not right probably needs to come forward a quarter of an inch because if both sides are not even wouldn't that causes it to bind on only one side when you're opening it
Old 09-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Can you post pictures, where did you get the hinge? I sounds like the hinge needs to come back on the car a little (and back on the hood same amount) . That should put the hood higher when open and not hit the windshield. The trick is moving it the same amount on the fender as the hood so you keep the hood alignment.

If you measure both sides from the back edge of the hood to the hinge are they similar distance? If not the pivot point on one side would be different and could cause it to bind.

If you paid someone else to install it though I would get them to fix it so you don't end up in a but you already tried to fix it situation.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Aviator857
Can you post pictures, where did you get the hinge? I sounds like the hinge needs to come back on the car a little (and back on the hood same amount) . That should put the hood higher when open and not hit the windshield. The trick is moving it the same amount on the fender as the hood so you keep the hood alignment.

If you measure both sides from the back edge of the hood to the hinge are they similar distance? If not the pivot point on one side would be different and could cause it to bind.

If you paid someone else to install it though I would get them to fix it so you don't end up in a but you already tried to fix it situation.
tried to post pictures I can't figure out how to do it on my cell phone I got the hinges from CARiD but I haven't tried to mess with it yet I was just trying to get some information I'm going to take it by the body shop today and see what they say but worst case scenario if they just tell me that's the best they can do I want to be prepared to get it fixed another way
Old 09-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

If they tell you it is the best they can do then Check with hawks and get a good used hinge. After market can be hit or miss and require alot of shims etc.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=Aviator857;6252022]If they tell you it is the best they can do then Check with hawks and get a good used hinge. After market can be hit or miss and require alot okay thank you very much I appreciate your time and your help I'll let you know what I figure out
Old 09-24-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

On the back of the hinge, closest to the windshield, there is an adjustment bolt. What it's there for is so when closed/compressed, the hinge will rest on it and not close TOO far. If it IS adjusted too low, it'll most definitely bind exactly as you're describing. ....I found that with 100% complete flawless hood alignment...mine sat too low and did what you're describing. I backed the bolt out a turn or two and you couldn't physically SEE a difference, yet it would no longer bind..

Last edited by Abubaca; 09-24-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:48 PM

awesome thank you