History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Decoding My RPO Codes, have a few I can't quite hit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: THM 700R4
Decoding My RPO Codes, have a few I can't quite hit

So I decided the other day to start decoding my RPO codes to figure out the original state of my vehicle when it was sold from the dealers. It's a 1984 Camaro with the 2.8L V6. Most else about it I have discovered through these RPO codes from the center console. I've learned a great deal, and would like to complete the full set of codes, but some are giving me a bit of trouble. I've tried a few decoders already, and between several was able to fill out nearly the entire list, with these ones remaining:

E6N
F88
F89
GA3
GA4
UP7
ZJ7
15L
17I
8PK
9PK

Finally on the bottom, there is a notation I assume is the paint code: ENAMEL WA- L8310 U8310
One of the RPO codes pinged for primary color - Silver Sand Metallic, but I am unsure if that is accurate bearing in mind the above code as well. If anyone has information on these codes I haven't been able to decipher, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: Decoding My RPO Codes, have a few I can't quite hit

http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=30
Old 04-19-2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by chazman
Yep, that one filled in several of the blanks I couldn't find earlier before posting. None of the ones I listed are on it, though it was a major help with several others prior to these last few I am having trouble with.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:33 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerizanthar
So I decided the other day to start decoding my RPO codes to figure out the original state of my vehicle when it was sold from the dealers. It's a 1984 Camaro with the 2.8L V6. Most else about it I have discovered through these RPO codes from the center console. I've learned a great deal, and would like to complete the full set of codes, but some are giving me a bit of trouble. I've tried a few decoders already, and between several was able to fill out nearly the entire list, with these ones remaining:

E6N
F88
F89
GA3
GA4
UP7
ZJ7
15L
17I
8PK
9PK

Finally on the bottom, there is a notation I assume is the paint code: ENAMEL WA- L8310 U8310
One of the RPO codes pinged for primary color - Silver Sand Metallic, but I am unsure if that is accurate bearing in mind the above code as well. If anyone has information on these codes I haven't been able to decipher, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The WA code is not the same as the RPO color code. A professional painter, like our member @dagwood, could probably explain but i believe that is what is actually used when trying to get paint color matches. 15L is Silver Metallic. The L indicates lower panels. So if the L and U have different prefix numbers then it's a two-tone color car.

You may not find every single RPO code. Some will be spring codes and other misc. items that don't have a lot of importance or meaning. When using multiple sources for checking RPO codes, make sure it's year specific. GM reused RPO codes with different definitions. A good example of this was the Y84 code on the Firebird side during the Third Gen production. Early Y84 meant special edition Trans Am while later (1987-1992) Y84 meant the GTA. And they are very different.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

Originally Posted by JT
The WA code is not the same as the RPO color code. A professional painter, like our member @dagwood, could probably explain but i believe that is what is actually used when trying to get paint color matches. 15L is Silver Metallic. The L indicates lower panels. So if the L and U have different prefix numbers then it's a two-tone color car.

You may not find every single RPO code. Some will be spring codes and other misc. items that don't have a lot of importance or meaning. When using multiple sources for checking RPO codes, make sure it's year specific. GM reused RPO codes with different definitions. A good example of this was the Y84 code on the Firebird side during the Third Gen production. Early Y84 meant special edition Trans Am while later (1987-1992) Y84 meant the GTA. And they are very different.

So for paint codes.....you can get the formula from either the WA number, OR the RPO code. BUT, like stated above, the RPO code can mean a totally different thing, depending on the year. Different years of Flame Red Metallic, for example, share the same RPO code, but the WA number is different between years. So, basically the WA number is most important to have. Your codes you listed HAVE the WA number. When looking it up, just eliminate the U or L in front of the number and add WA to it. Your example is WA8310
Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

I'm just going to do a drive-by and hit the ones I'm relatively comfortable with guessing. It's an educated guess, free advice, worth what it costs you.

E6N - Pretty sure this is going to be one of the speedometer/VSS/sensor/gears codes. Without digging into the books I can't be sure, and I'm too lazy to look em up for you. The only time those codes ever are relevant to anything are when you're replacing the speed sensor in the transmission.
F88
F89
GA3
GA4
UP7
ZJ7
15L - 15 is likely a color code, and L is the identifier of the part in question.
17I - See above, 17 is your color code, I is the part in question.
179 - See above, 17 is your color code, I is the part in question.
8PK - Rear spring codes
9PK - Rear spring codes

Don't go crazy pulling your hair out trying to define all the codes. It's all in the acronym... SPID, Service Parts Identification Decal. The codes are there as a helpful cheat sheet for the grease monkey working on the car to be able to tell what parts are on the car and should be used to replace them. The only reason we geek out on them, is for the "cool" codes like G92 or L98 or B4Z. If you can't find a definition in the usual places (Google) then it's not a noteworthy "cool" code. Someday when you're ordering a replacement part and it says it fits E5Z, E7N, and E6N, you'll have to go check the decal and you'll see which piece is right for the car. Otherwise it'll NEVER come up. Some of the RPO codes are merchandising codes that will never ever ever ever be important.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 PM

Interesting insights all around. It looks like most of the information I have then is the important stuff and these may be just garbage codes for very niche specific applications. I may wait til Monday and just call the local Chevrolet garage and tell them I want some obscure RPO codes decoded. They've been *relatively* friendly in the past so as long as I get the guy I usually work with on the phone, he should have no problem figuring them out for me.

On the bright side, I have figured out the interior and exterior colors, as well as many of the other restoration specific codes that I will need to put this thing back as close to stock as I want, within reason of course. There's a few things that are obviously going to change. Two codes in particular made me twitch slightly when i saw it, and saw what I looked up as it's description... B18 said "Custom Interior" and 1AY said "Dealer Ordered Vehicle."

Was this a custom order based on those codes? I'm really trying to fill in the car's history. Since I bought it six years ago, I want to fill in the missing years, so its story can be known. I plan to track the VIN and see who had it before me, before the previous owner, and so on, to see if I can contact them and ask a few questions. I think the car deserves to have its story fully fleshed out.

Quick Edit: I did figure out based on some digging already that before me, there are only three recorded owners. An original purchaser either at or before 1990, and then a sale around 2006, then finally in 2012, and again in 2012 when I bought it. Even better, the reports stick to WV except for the first purchase record, in VA! with Norwood as its original manufacture plant, I may actually be able to track down the original owner. That would make my day.

Last edited by Aerizanthar; 04-19-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

When "custom interior" comes up talking about Camaros, it just differentiates the nicer seats and door panels from the base high back buckets and vinyl. Doesn't have anything to do with actually being custom or pink Ostrich leather seats with "Kiki" embroidered in them.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
When "custom interior" comes up talking about Camaros, it just differentiates the nicer seats and door panels from the base high back buckets and vinyl. Doesn't have anything to do with actually being custom or pink Ostrich leather seats with "Kiki" embroidered in them.
Thats good! I would hate to find out the original interior came with leopard print carpeting and a purple feathered hat
Old 04-20-2019, 12:37 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Originally Posted by Aerizanthar
1AY said "Dealer Ordered Vehicle."

Was this a custom order based on those codes?
Also, 1AY indicates it was Dealer Ordered for stock and not a vehicle ordered for a customer as sold. If the vehicle was ordered for a customer as sold, the code would be 1AZ. So this vehicle was likely part of a dealer order to sit on the lot.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28

Thanks JT, I learned something new. My car has a 1AZ on the spid and I didn't know what it represented.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Your RPO color code should be 15E

WA8310

Silver Sand Gray Poly is the name

1983-1984

Just looked it up on our PPG system at work

Old 04-22-2019, 04:47 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Originally Posted by dagwood
Your RPO color code should be 15E

WA8310

Silver Sand Gray Poly is the name

1983-1984

Just looked it up on our PPG system at work

Do you often see a GM RPO exterior paint code end in E? Never seen a GM RPO exterior primary/secondary code end in an E on an SPID or buildsheet, atleast not the ThirdGen, as it's usually been xxU (Upper) and xxL (Lower). My GM RPO book shows 15E is an interior trim code but not specific for ThirdGen F-Body.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JT
Do you often see a GM RPO exterior paint code end in E? Never seen a GM RPO exterior primary/secondary code end in an E on an SPID or buildsheet, atleast not the ThirdGen, as it's usually been xxU (Upper) and xxL (Lower). My GM RPO book shows 15E is an interior trim code but not specific for ThirdGen F-Body.

That's actually the first time its came up like that. Usually it just shows a 2 digit number
Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JT

Ok so I've been thinking about this. I bet the factory code is just 15. I bet the way it shows in our system, 15E, means that it was ENAMEL from the factory??

Just a guess.....