Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Does Bilstein make a strut for us? If not, what's good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Does Bilstein make a strut for us? If not, what's good?

Love Bilstein but they don't have a strut for us. I just put in fresh KYB Excel-G's all around but the car, rear especially, was bouncy and quickly swapped out the rear shocks for KYB Gas-a-just monotubes which made a huge improvement. I am now thinking the front end could be a lot better as well but not sure what to put in. Koni's are too much for my car, thinking KYB AGX. There is a product gap between the KYB Excel-G and KYB AGX, as in a KY Gas-a-just strut which does not exist. My next check was Bilstein but they don't seem to make one.

Maybe the KYB Excel-G front struts I have in there are actually OK even though the back shocks were clearly not?

I don't really need or want an adjustable (I'm always fiddling with it) but maybe I am out of options?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn
Re: Does Bilstein make a strut for us? If not, what's good?

Go with the AGX and set it to forget it! I used to mess with the adjustment but mine are set @ 2 and I have not touched them in over a year. I love them, and I think they ARE the in between strut you are looking for. When I bought mine I did extensive research and the number 1 setting is the next step up from the Excel G you are using, similar to a gas adjust model if they made one.. 4 would be a stiff track setting I am guessing a step below Koni. I also used the gas adjust rear shocks.This set up makes for an unbelievable highway ride but with enough firmness (not stiff or harsh) that I get absolutely, positively no boaty bounce and minimal front end roll in the corners. It seems precise is a good description
Old 04-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

If I'm not mistaken, Bilstein will still rebuild your factory rear shocks.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Bilstein dropped their front struts a few years ago... Like 2015? When I was looking for struts for my Formula, the Bilsteins could be had if a person dug around a bit, but it was cheaper to go with Koni Yellows. Given the choice between a non-adjustable strut and an adjustable for less money, it was really not a hard decision.

The rear shocks are still available from Bilstein, but for the price, I think I'd be tempted to bargain hunt for a deal on Konis. Especially since the matching fronts from Bilstein aren't even available.

I'm sure Bilstein has their reasons for not selling a thirdgen compatible strut. It probably comes down to slow sales, which probably stems from the high price, a vicious circle. Perhaps if they had done a better job marketing, and accepted that the R&D costs should have long since been covered and adjusted the price....

Thirdgen owners are somewhat to blame. A lot of them still like to go cheap even when they shouldn't. On a V6 car, you can probably get away with typical counter shocks and struts from the parts store. On the rear you might even get away with a Monroe or a Gabriel on a V8 car with FE2 suspension. But really with stiff springs, thirdgens need a good quality strut/shock package. With the Konis set full soft my Formula drives firm, but it doesn't shake your fillings out of your teeth. It's not jarring. The harder you push it with aggressive driving the more it just grins and rewards you with greater handling. It's a bit scary because it's pushed the edge of the car's capabilities so far, I'm a bit scared to push it far enough to find out where the limit is now.

Anyway, I can vouch for the Konis, you get what you pay for. If Bilstein offered a 4 corner solution, I'd have no trouble trusting them either, but the cost would have to be enough less than the Konis to give up the adjustability. I'd be tempted to try the various Tokico packages if I were working on an extreme budget, but they tend to have limited US dealers. KYB's better offerings are about the only easily obtainable, budget option, but I've never been impressed enough by the word of mouth reputation, and haven't ever driven a car with them. Somehow I managed to drive a few different cars with Konis and not a single KYB equipped car. FWIW.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by chazman
If I'm not mistaken, Bilstein will still rebuild your factory rear shocks.

Any idea what they charge for the service? They have a nice website with several blocks of info about rebuilding aftermarket struts/shocks, but I'm not seeing anything pertaining to specifically OE hardware like the Delco-Bilsteins. I'd wonder if they'd actually rebuild the shocks, or if they'd grab a set of the current production shocks off the shelf and just send them out. Or if they do rebuild your OE, will they look like the 30 year old stuff you mailed in, just with new guts, or will they refinish and cosmetically refurb the outside? Lots of questions. I'd venture a guess it'd cost as much as a new pair of Bilsteins, and that unless the shock is in excellent condition, you're probably getting the same cosmetic condition part back, or a modern replacement, but I'm just guessing. There's a contact form on the website, but since I've already got enough irons in the fire, I'm not going to waste their time to ask questions.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by Drew
Any idea what they charge for the service? They have a nice website with several blocks of info about rebuilding aftermarket struts/shocks, but I'm not seeing anything pertaining to specifically OE hardware like the Delco-Bilsteins. I'd wonder if they'd actually rebuild the shocks, or if they'd grab a set of the current production shocks off the shelf and just send them out. Or if they do rebuild your OE, will they look like the 30 year old stuff you mailed in, just with new guts, or will they refinish and cosmetically refurb the outside? Lots of questions. I'd venture a guess it'd cost as much as a new pair of Bilsteins, and that unless the shock is in excellent condition, you're probably getting the same cosmetic condition part back, or a modern replacement, but I'm just guessing. There's a contact form on the website, but since I've already got enough irons in the fire, I'm not going to waste their time to ask questions.
I want to say it was like $60 each to rebuild the rear factory Bilsteins a few years ago, but don't hold me to that.

As an aside, I got the Tokicos on my '83 and they were pretty good.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Thanks all. Good stuff. Does anyone happen to have the old front strut part numbers for Bilstein? I might be able to find a used setup. I will also check to see if they rebuild them as well.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:50 PM

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77 Posi

AK1049
Old 04-23-2019, 03:56 PM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Posi

I found some new Bilstein struts online a couple days ago. They were over $300 each. Pass...
Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Koni yellows are still the most bang for the buck. Usually can find sales to save a few bux.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by 1988 Iroc 5.7
AK1049
FWIW, that was the part number for the thirdgen "race" strut. I don't know what the difference was between the race version and the standard other than the warranty was only 90day vs lifetime on the standard ones. I, being a young kid at the time, bought the race ones years ago and recently sent them in to be rebuilt and they were sent back because the warranty was expired. I'll eventually send them in to be rebuilt. If nothings broken I think they charge 170 a strut.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

I have the AGX's and I like them. Set all the way to 8 in the back and 4? In the front. Whatever the highest setting is. They feel a little like a coil-over but not as harsh.

For half the price of the Koni's I can't see them being less than half as good. They fill that niche between a basic replacement strut and the Koni yellows. They are probably somewhere between the two. And price/performance ratio is likely higher than the Koni's. They do have adjustment and they feel good.

GD
Old 04-25-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 TransAm GTA
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: TH700
Axle/Gears: Stock 9-bolt

I agree with GD. I also have the AGX for front and back and they are really better then what the price may suggest. For the price and performance they deliver since 2 years in my car and I have to say they are worth it. I had Koni reds in the back so it was a nice upgrade. The Koni Reds were just to soft for my preferred driving style :-)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
I have the AGX's and I like them. Set all the way to 8 in the back and 4? In the front. Whatever the highest setting is. They feel a little like a coil-over but not as harsh.

For half the price of the Koni's I can't see them being less than half as good. They fill that niche between a basic replacement strut and the Koni yellows. They are probably somewhere between the two. And price/performance ratio is likely higher than the Koni's. They do have adjustment and they feel good.

GD

8 on the back and 4 on the front is the highest setting correct. 4 is a little to stiff for my liking but that is one of the many things that make these struts a best bang for the buck. IMHO
Old 04-25-2019, 04:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: '92 RS
Engine: 5.0TBI
Transmission: TKX
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I agree on the AGX's being the bang for the buck shocks. I have used them on other cars and liked them. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison AGX's were on an RX-7 and Koni's on the camaro but, the Koni shocks on my car are the best ride vs. handling shock I have found. They are great for both. With my RX-7(agx's) I could pick handling OR ride, it was never great for both at the same time.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Great, now I have a "collector" set of Bilstein Struts !?!?!?
My Bilstein struts are blue (not yellow) and were a Roush/SLP/Hochkiss/RaceCarDynamics spec request... not sure how many were made...
Time for Ebay !?!??!