History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

The last 3rd Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8
The last 3rd Gen Camaro

Not sure if this has been posted before, anyway, here it is for you Camaro Gurus, what about the last Firebird damit !. http://www.last1992camaro.com/about/
Old 04-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: sp357
Transmission: T-5
Re: The last 3rd Gen Camaro

The owner is a member of this site.

Also IIRC the last Firebird was some unremarkable V6.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:01 PM
ksr

Received 221 Likes on 158 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 liter V-8
Transmission: 4 speed auto

According to the site, the car has only 125 miles on it and is owned by the original owner. Things like this seem like such a waste to me. Sure, it's nice to look at. But why wouldn't you enjoy the car for what it was built for? Drive it!
Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA T-Top / 2014 Mustang GT
Engine: 5L TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

LeonardS, the member here who owns the car, did a write up about everything that makes the car special. In many cases I'd agree that it's a shame when cars never got driven, but with this particular one, it lives the appropriate life
Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ksr
According to the site, the car has only 125 miles on it and is owned by the original owner. Things like this seem like such a waste to me. Sure, it's nice to look at. But why wouldn't you enjoy the car for what it was built for? Drive it!
This opinion is often raised. Sometimes it goes as far as raising the feelings aspect for/from a car. LeonardS (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/member.php?u=40974) is the original owner and bought the car with his own money so the decision as to what he does with the car is ultimately up to him. While the car will always be the last ThirdGen Camaro, there are signatures all over the car (except for the facing exterior panels) so those signatures would deteriorate if the car was driven or required cleaning and would decrease some value. Thankfully, Leonard owns the last ThirdGen Camaro and stores the car as part of history.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:10 AM

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ksr
If you buy it from me, you can drive it into the ground if you want. Dig deep into your savings account!!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonardS
If you buy it from me, you can drive it into the ground if you want. Dig deep into your savings account!!

Nooooo.... Don't do that.

See, the way I look at it, is like this.... Leonard is preserving his Camaro, which means that the rest of us are somewhat relieved of that responsibility you see? Now the rest of us don't have to worry about when we're driving the wheels off a Camaro.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:25 AM
ksr

Received 221 Likes on 158 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 liter V-8
Transmission: 4 speed auto

I'm sure I'm not in that income category.

Don't take what I wrote as criticism. It's your car, and I understand the enjoyment of just having a car.

I'd never have the self control to not drive it.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by ksr
Normally I agree with this sentiment, but there are exceptions and Leonard's car is one of them.

This is because:

1. It's the last thirdgen
2. It's optioned very well (Z28 25th anniversary heritage edition)
3. It's the last car to leave the GM Van Nuys plant, closing a chapter on part of GM's up and down history of automotive manufacturing in CA
4. The plant workers signed the car, and Leonard has rare photographs of it being built and delivered
5. The car is in mint, original condition with only 125 miles on it

In this case, driving it into the ground would have been the waste. Now, many more people can appreciate and enjoy the car, especially thanks to the website Leonard has up.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1

Originally Posted by KMK454
Normally I agree with this sentiment, but there are exceptions and Leonard's car is one of them.

This is because:

1. It's the last thirdgen
2. It's optioned very well (Z28 25th anniversary heritage edition)
3. It's the last car to leave the GM Van Nuys plant, closing a chapter on part of GM's up and down history of automotive manufacturing in CA
4. The plant workers signed the car, and Leonard has rare photographs of it being built and delivered
5. The car is in mint, original condition with only 125 miles on it

In this case, driving it into the ground would have been the waste. Now, many more people can appreciate and enjoy the car, especially thanks to the website Leonard has up.
100% Agree. Leonard's car is special and has a great story behind it. The car deserves to be preserved.

The photo documentation of the car being built is amazing and is such a wonderful resource. As I am putting my GTA back together, I often find myself referring to Leonard's photos to understand how the car was originally assembled and what order things were done. Thank you Leonard.

Now, if it were a run of the mill 1989 Iroc with clay bar residue, I might drive the wheels off of that one...
Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I for one really appreciate what Leonard is doing, while in my heart i agree with KSR. And for me the history supersedes the heart on this one. Leonard

Can anyone answer the original rerquest? Most of us do know about the last Camaro and who owns it, so why is the last bird not popular? I would think both would hold the same historical significance. This thread peaked my interest and it would be great to locate this car and it's owner. It would be interesting if they were both on this board to share their insight and opinions on having this honor of owning the last of the line! This also leads me to ask....Who owns the 1st off the line? I would think these 2 3rd gens would be equally or more important in preserving these cars history. Everyone wants the 1st!
Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by vinny R
I for one really appreciate what Leonard is doing, while in my heart i agree with KSR. And for me the history supersedes the heart on this one. Leonard

Can anyone answer the original rerquest? Most of us do know about the last Camaro and who owns it, so why is the last bird not popular? I would think both would hold the same historical significance. This thread peaked my interest and it would be great to locate this car and it's owner. It would be interesting if they were both on this board to share their insight and opinions on having this honor of owning the last of the line! This also leads me to ask....Who owns the 1st off the line? I would think these 2 3rd gens would be equally or more important in preserving these cars history. Everyone wants the 1st!
It was a black Firebird.....nothing special. Someone did a Carfax several years ago and it was totaled in an accident.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

It was a black Firebird.....nothing special. Someone did a Carfax several years ago and it was totaled in an accident.
For whatever reason the Birds were just not as popular, and it seems to hold true here.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

Leonard's car is also the very last L98 car

I have seen the car in person SEVERAL years ago. It is quite the car. I just happened to be at the one and only car show that the car has ever been to. It was just a small, local show. I would love to see it again!
Old 04-24-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by vinny R
For whatever reason the Birds were just not as popular, and it seems to hold true here.
The Van Nuys Plant built “Base” Camaro’s and Firebirds the last two weeks of production, so it’s no surprise that it was a plain Jane Firebird in front of my car. Getting them to build a Z28 during the last three days, was one of the hurdles involved in getting my car.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

The Van Nuys Plant built “Base” Camaro’s and Firebirds the last two weeks of production, so it’s no surprise that it was a plain Jane Firebird in front of my car. Getting them to build a Z28 during the last three days, was one of the hurdles involved in getting my car.
My RS was built August 12 and its a base model, sequence # 66615. So this makes sense.