Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Price check and where to sell

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 07:30 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
Price check and where to sell

Gotten kind of tired of old cars and I am thinking of selling the '89 Firebird. I know the value of parts but I have no clue the value of a car. But one thing I do know is that the market is stronger than ever before.

If you had a stock body, gleaming, bright red Firebird with a Mamofied LS7 and 6-speed manual, what price would you put on it? Assume everything from suspension, brakes, chassis is built. Stock-ish interior in good condition, with nice leather seats, and 6-point street cage. Fair weather driver that is riding a fine line between street car and race car.

Also, where is the best place to sell to get the most money?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2
Re: Price check and where to sell

I think Craigslist and Facebook work well.. EBay can be good too if you want to deal with that and shipping..

You need awesome pictures... Detail the car like you’re going for the win! Good angles, closeups, underneath, wheels, etc.. Don’t use blurry, obscure or bad pics.. Look at a car marketed well that you would buy sight unseen and copy what they did..

what is “good” interior? No rips, no stains? Is it show worthy?

If it’s turn-key and needs nothing (no leaks, no little maintenance issues, no quirks, etc) and the paint wheels and interior are good I’d think you could ask $12k-$15k but depends... What documentation, mileage, etc?

Firebirds bring a little less $$$ than IROCs so it has to be show ready to get a good price..

The stock, low mile thirdgens are bringing good prices, but I don’t think the LS swapped thirdgens have peaked yet.. They will get up there more...

I’d have to go back and look at your car again to get a better idea.. start on the high side because you will get negotiated down.. If all goes well buyer and seller end up happy..

Sorry to see you selling your 89!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:46 PM
COTM Editor

Thanks for the reply. Not selling yet, just seeking info so I can decide.
Looking at cars that I would buy sight-unseen is good advice.

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ
If it’s turn-key and needs nothing (no leaks, no little maintenance issues, no quirks, etc) and the paint wheels and interior are good I’d think you could ask $12k-$15k but depends... What documentation, mileage, etc?
Ya, that's what I'm seeing too. Here's the rub though.... If I advertised the engine tonight for $12K it would be sold by Monday. I still have the old 427 stroker in the corner of the garage.

Ya, very nice car. Turn-key, yes, but not in the "stock driver" way that you might be thinking. It's a half-breed race car so frequent maintenance goes with the territory. And fixing quirks is a hobby called "tuning". I can think of four things right now that I want to fix/improve, and I have $3K of parts sitting around to do it. But that's always the case and the evolution of the car never ends.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Thanks for the reply. Not selling yet, just seeking info so I can decide.
Looking at cars that I would buy sight-unseen is good advice.

Ya, that's what I'm seeing too. Here's the rub though.... If I advertised the engine tonight for $12K it would be sold by Monday. I still have the old 427 stroker in the corner of the garage.

Ya, very nice car. Turn-key, yes, but not in the "stock driver" way that you might be thinking. It's a half-breed race car so frequent maintenance goes with the territory. And fixing quirks is a hobby called "tuning". I can think of four things right now that I want to fix/improve, and I have $3K of parts sitting around to do it. But that's always the case and the evolution of the car never ends.
The big dollar market is less for the tuners unfortunately unless you can find the right buyer and that can take time.. might want to throw it out there and see what you get.. could take a year or more to find the right buyer... The turn-key show car market is where the easy $$$ are in general, but if you know how to market what you’re selling to the right people you can get what you want..
Old 06-15-2019, 06:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I think you may want to advertise by taking it to the track or some race related sites. Your car is a beast! Not for the faint of heart and I would not want Craigslist tire kickers showing up thinking they are going to do a run down the street. As you said the engine is worth more than the car so I would put it out there to the racers who will appreciate what you have.

You may want to put that old engine in if you can find a buyer for the LS. In the open market I think you may only get what the engine is worth. I think you could get about 7-10K with the 427 and open yourself up to a brooder market of buyers.

Last edited by vinny R; 06-15-2019 at 06:26 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

bringatrailer . com
Old 06-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

With a car that has your level of modification I think the classic car publications like Hemmings are going to be your best bet. The crowd that reads Hemmings is going to be looking for your type of car AND have the money to purchase them. My experience with Craigslist and Facebook have been that it's more for the crowd that buys used washer/dryer Vs the crowd that buys the new Washer/dryer. Not to mention all the scammers on Craigslist makes it nearly unbearable to try to sell something. You might have some luck with posting it for sale on LS1tech.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 720 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Going to be a hard sale to even come close to getting your $ out of it. Nice hotrod but 90% of folks out there want something a lil more stock. A dragstrip would be a good place to take it and find some like minded person to buy it.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 V8

The new title of your cars build thread...
”What ever happened to Qwktrip’s car anyways?...He sold it.”

Sorry to see you’re thinking of selling that beast. Would that put you out of a Thirdgen all together or do you have another?

Im not an expert, but Ive sold a few older cars here and there, I think another good idea would to be up front about any issues or obvious flaws the car does have. That way you can explain it your way and the potential buyer isnt looking for all the flaws because you already brought them up. Seemed to help get rid of the tire kickers too. Just my opinion. All the advice above is solid.

Last edited by punzak9; 06-15-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeceli
bringatrailer . com
I have been looking at BaT lately. Has anyone ever bought or sold something using this website?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:19 PM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by Tibo
With a car that has your level of modification I think the classic car publications like Hemmings are going to be your best bet. The crowd that reads Hemmings is going to be looking for your type of car AND have the money to purchase them.
That's good input. Thanks!

Originally Posted by punzak9
The new title of your cars build thread...
”What ever happened to Qwktrip’s car anyways?...He sold it.”

Would that put you out of a Thirdgen all together or do you have another?
27 years is a pretty good run! And the next guy just carries on the story.

Heck no, I wouldn't have another 3rd gen. I want a modern, quiet, plush, driver. Maybe AWD drive this time. But I've gone through this same mood about 15 years ago and didn't end up selling the car back then so we'll see.

Originally Posted by vinny R
You may want to put that old engine in if you can find a buyer for the LS. In the open market I think you may only get what the engine is worth. I think you could get about 7-10K with the 427 and open yourself up to a brooder market of buyers.
Oh, man, $10K is chump change for the car with the LS 427 stroker! I'd give the car to my nephew before selling it for that. Ya, you're probably right that the LS7 is too pricey for the car it's in. Probably would maximize my money by putting the 427 stroker back in.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 06-17-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

Originally Posted by bull-vette
I have been looking at BaT lately. Has anyone ever bought or sold something using this website?

My brother has sold at least 2 vehs on BAT. In fact, his 197? International Scout, a black & Gold limited edition, that he restored, went for a $40,000 a year or two back. I record, I believe.