DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Where are sensors and components

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: L03 with Holley Sniper EFI, headers
Transmission: T-5, hurst billet shifter
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Where are sensors and components

A picture is worth a thousand words. While troubleshooting issues like the ECM code 23, I see lots of references to MAT, TPS, IAC and other sensors. Many threads mention a component, but most don't have a photo of it installed in an engine bay. Having that photo would make finding these components and troubleshooting them much easier.

I am uploading photos of a few components from my 1992 Camaro 5.0 TBI, and hope other people do too. Ideally, these photos should:
  1. Have the part annotated and show enough of the engine bay to make it easy to find
  2. Not be too big. 500k or so should be plenty
  3. Have the engine type/model year

TPS location (right side of TBI unit)

Last edited by mjwadams; 06-19-2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Where are sensors and components

What you are calling the MAT is the MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. MAT(manifold air temp) is usually called IAT(Intake air temp). What you are calling the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) valve is actually the smog pump divertor valve. Your TPS is accurate.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

No, what he's calling the EGR is the coolant bypass valve that keeps hot water from the heater core when it's not cold out, or air is on, etc. Also, that part with the plug in it just to the left of the TPS is the IAC
OP, please don't spread any more misinformation until you have verified the accuracy of your comments. That's the last thing we need more of
OK?

Last edited by henryd3; 06-16-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by henryd3
No, what he's calling the EGR is the coolant bypass valve that keeps hot water from the heater core when it's not cold out, or air is on, etc. Also, that part with the plug in it just to the left of the TPS is the IAC
OP, please don't spread any more misinformation until you have verified the accuracy of your comments. That's the last thing we need more of
OK?
Very well said Henry !

If someone wants to post correct technical information , GREAT ! , more power to them , the more correct info the better .....

BUT !!!!!

The poster had DAMN well best verify the accuracy of their info BEFORE posting up what could be dangerous misinformation . The OP calling the heater control valve the EGR valve could be setting someone up for a world of hurt if someone removes one of the lines going to it while it's hot . Opening an EGR line on a (non running) hot engine isn't gonna spray hot coolant like removing a hose from the heater control valve will !

I will give the OP exactly 12 hours to edit the misinformation out of his post before I turn it into the Moderation staff for correction , and the same goes for the misinformation in post #2 as well .
Old 06-17-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bad on the divertor valve statement, at first glance that is what it looked like. I can't edit or delete the post.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Very well said Henry !

If someone wants to post correct technical information , GREAT ! , more power to them , the more correct info the better .....

BUT !!!!!

The poster had DAMN well best verify the accuracy of their info BEFORE posting up what could be dangerous misinformation . The OP calling the heater control valve the EGR valve could be setting someone up for a world of hurt if someone removes one of the lines going to it while it's hot . Opening an EGR line on a (non running) hot engine isn't gonna spray hot coolant like removing a hose from the heater control valve will !

I will give the OP exactly 12 hours to edit the misinformation out of his post before I turn it into the Moderation staff for correction , and the same goes for the misinformation in post #2 as well .
I removed the photo with EGR valve, since it is dangerous if it is actually the heater control valve. Thanks for the info as I might have been the one getting burned. But where did I get all of that info in the first place? Right here on these forums. Also thanks for the TPS confirmation as that was really hard to find too.

And that is why I started this post in the first place - All of the other threads reference these obscure parts, but there isn't any sticky thread or anything which has photos of all of them, clearly labeled and easy to find.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 PM

Just found an old Chilton's manual for 82-92 Camaros. Long out of print, the ISBN is 0-8019-8306-1 if you can find it.

It doesn't have photos showing the engine bay location but does pictures at least showing what they look like.

These show the IAT/MAT and TPS

IAT/MAT

TPS
Old 07-20-2019, 09:35 PM

According to https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...-throttle.html, this is the location of vacuum hoses on the TBI unit: