Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Fuel guage and DUMB PO problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.73
Fuel guage and DUMB PO problems.

I have a 1991 rs with a 305 tbi. And my gas guage would always show a quarter tank and every once in a while it would show 3 quarters full. Now i finally got to tackling this problem and found "more" stupid things the PO had done. I unplugged the connector and the gas guage went to full which i thought was normal but ive seen youtube videos saying that when its unplugged it needs to show empty. I cant seem to find any wiring diagrams but i have found that the puple wire runs to the guage and the grey is the pump. And thats about it. I have a strong feeling it's a float problem. But i haven't taken the whole sending unit out yet. Also there is a strange yellow wire that the PO wired to the float resistor and thats another thing that could be problematic. All ive dobe was pulled the sending unit out a little then shined a light in to see whats going on in it. But before i pull the whole sending unit out i would like to have the correct wiring diagram. If anyone could help it would be most appreciated. Also its my daily driver for at least the next month or 2 so i dont really have much time to any major things like taking the whole sending unit out. So when i do u want to be sure i have the correct info. Anyobe who can get me a wiring diagram. I woukd be so thankful
Old 06-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Fuel guage and DUMB PO problems.

Originally Posted by Michael Johnson
I have a 1991 rs with a 305 tbi. And my gas gauge would always show a quarter tank and every once in a while it would show 3 quarters full. Now i finally got to tackling this problem and found "more" stupid things the PO had done. I unplugged the connector and the gas gauge went to full which i thought was normal but I've seen Youtube videos saying that when its unplugged it needs to show empty. I cant seem to find any wiring diagrams but i have found that the purple wire runs to the gauge and the grey is the pump. And that's about it. I have a strong feeling it's a float problem. But i haven't taken the whole sending unit out yet. Also there is a strange yellow wire that the PO wired to the float resistor and that's another thing that could be problematic. All I've done was pulled the sending unit out a little then shined a light in to see whats going on in it. But before i pull the whole sending unit out i would like to have the correct wiring diagram. If anyone could help it would be most appreciated. Also its my daily driver for at least the next month or 2 so i don't really have much time to any major things like taking the whole sending unit out. So when i do u want to be sure i have the correct info. Anyone who can get me a wiring diagram. I would be so thankful

Hi Michael , I will post two wiring diagrams , one for your engine/ECM including your fuel pump , and one for your fuel gauge . To answer your question , with the sending unplugged (open circuit) the fuel gauge is indeed supposed to read past full . Conversely , with the sending unit wire grounded the gauge should read empty .

The confusion about the gauge functionality comes because the coolant temperature gauge works opposite of the fuel gauge , temperature gauge sender unplugged (open circuit) = Cold reading (bottom of the scale) , temperature gauge sender wire grounded = hot reading (top of scale) .