TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uploading Scan Data for Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Uploading Scan Data for Review

So, Tuner Pro RT is outputting a .XDL file, which is not an accepted file type for the board. How do I go about getting it uploaded here so other can review?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Re: Uploading Scan Data for Review

What can you open it with? And will said software convert it .xls, or something similar?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ploegi
What can you open it with? And will said software convert it .xls, or something similar?
I can open it with Tuner Pro RT and replay the data as if it is live.

Notepad opens it, but it doesn't interpret it into a readable form. The .XDL file should only be useful if someone has Tuner Pro.

I am not sure if it can be converted, I am hoping someone that has been using the software longer may chime in.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Yeah, I have zero experience with that. Sorry.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

To attach the file zip it. $32B ?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 PM

Duh, such a simple solution.

I just changed the file extension to .txt. Should only need to be changed back *I think*

Tuned, can you check if you can open this. Yes it is a $32B for an 88 5.7L L98 MAF.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Short Drive.txt (22.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 PM
Sponsor

I don't see in the properties how to change the extension to make it a xdl. zip the file and repost. what issues are you having ?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right click -> Save link as...->Select Save as type: All Files. Change File name to *.xdf. -> Save.

160 baud data not very useful. BLM of 160 at mid-high airflow is a concern. High BLM readings in general. Needs work.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 07-17-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
Right click -> Save link as...->Select Save as type: All Files. Change File name to *.xdf. -> Save.

160 baud data not very useful. BLM of 160 at mid-high airflow is a concern. High BLM readings in general. Needs work.
The save as file type will not change on my computer stuck as txt.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:48 AM

Thanks for looking at it. Yes 160 baud is what it is. So, this car is supercharged. I do have a narrow band 02 gage on it that the PO installed. Not that it I trust it fully, but it does usually show lean cruising. As confirmed by the BLM. In another thread, I asked about a good way to see Fuel Pressure at speed due to this. I know it needs work

Question is, would installing a AFPR and bringing the base fuel pressure up be enough? Does it need tuned? Are the pump(s) weak?

It has the Vortech hot air bolt in kit that wasn't supposed to need a tune... booster pump and boost referenced timing retard. I am not going for every last HP here, just want to feel its all safe. Also, I am about 95% sure it has Bosch III yellows in it. To say, that is what they look like but I didn't install them. So, I have to question it a bit. I got a few good pictures a few nights ago. I am going to post them in a separate thread for validation.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First priority should be to establish 8192 baud logging capability. In order to do this, you will need an appropriate 8192 baud adx file and connect once the 160 baud data is flowing with 10 k resistor as it is now.

The $32B and $6E datastreams are pretty close to each other with only a few bytes different between them, so they are practically interchangeable. Some adx files are prone to data glitching, so try and find one that has already been fixed with pause before resend time added. Shouldn't be too hard to find a functioning adx file for either $32B or $6E to get started with. Either one will work, but keep in mind that a $6E adx will have a few bytes out of whack due to different datastream content (not a big deal). I'm too lazy to list the differences at the moment.

Get it to connect and log first, and worry about the minor datastream differences later if applicable. No need to change the bin mask from $32B to $6E.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 07-18-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Yes do that above and also suggest a wideband o2

depending on what fuel requirements are, and what pumps you have its hard to say what it needs. A good stock tpi motor with a few psi boost is gonna pick up decent hp and need fuel. 22 lb inj can cover it with fuel pressure booster aka fmu to a point. You need a high pressure rated pump tho to make sure flow doesnt drop off too much. Walbro standard 255 lph high pressure pump is ideal for most needs if few psi boost and mild stockish motor.

even a 305 with 8 psi will make as much power as a stock ls1 so fuel requirements are similar. 350 maybe abit more.

Other thing is just trying to use as much pe enrichment vs rpm adder to give the right fuel to keep fmu pressure boosting down to a minimum

or try a blower works maf

Last edited by Orr89RocZ; 07-18-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:11 PM

First priority should be to establish 8192 baud logging capability. In order to do this, you will need an appropriate 8192 baud adx file and connect once the 160 baud data is flowing with 10 k resistor as it is now.

The $32B and $6E datastreams are pretty close to each other with only a few bytes different between them, so they are practically interchangeable. Some adx files are prone to data glitching, so try and find one that has already been fixed with pause before resend time added. Shouldn't be too hard to find a functioning adx file for either $32B or $6E to get started with.

Get it to connect and log first, and worry about the minor datastream differences later if applicable.
From what I have read the 165 ECM doesn't support 8192 baud communications. Possibly you can clarify for me how changing the mask from the $32B to the $6E corrects this. I did the conversion of the $32B .ADS to a .ADX following Moates walkthrough and it worked. The data I posted came from a $32B .ADX. Or at least I am pretty sure that is what I loaded. It's been about a week I would want to double check before I made any definitive statements.

While I got your ear, does the 8192 data stream come out in ALDL mode (10K on) or is it constant stream?

Sorry if any of these questions seem basic, I have a firm grasp on the overall function of the system, but I am just starting to read up on the finer details. I *think* I want to change a few things like remove Code 36 (I know the cause and I just want to ignore it) bump up the torque converter lock up speed to above 45mph, and correct anything that the Bosch IIIs may have affected. Then see where I am - if I even need to actually modify the tune at this point.

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Yes do that above and also suggest a wideband o2
I know the reasoning of using a Wideband 02, but again I am not trying to squeeze every bit out of it at this point. Nothing like the build in your signature for sure. That is pretty wild. I would feel content with safe consistent BLMs that doesn't show the ECM making large corrections.

depending on what fuel requirements are, and what pumps you have its hard to say what it needs. A good stock tpi motor with a few psi boost is gonna pick up decent hp and need fuel. 22 lb inj can cover it with fuel pressure booster aka fmu to a point. You need a high pressure rated pump tho to make sure flow doesn't drop off too much.
The best I can figure without dropping the tank is it has a factory style in tank pump with the Vortech supplied booster pump attached to the FMU. Stock Heads, Stock Intake, Stock Cam, Stock Rockers, Stock Throttle Body as far as I know and was told. Only modifications the PO was selling on was bolt-ons. As far as engine performance that would be headers, CAT and AIR removed, and Borla Exhaust. I would think far within the parameters of what the Vortech kit was intended to bolt up to and function safely.

Walbro standard 255 lph high pressure pump is ideal for most needs if few psi boost and mild stockish motor.
Agreed. I have this and a Procharged Corvette. Both running FMU, Booster pumps. I would eventually like to remove the FMU and booster pumps off both cars, go to a 255 in both with larger injectors. Though, funds are not unlimited, we will see how long I own them and what happens.

even a 305 with 8 psi will make as much power as a stock ls1 so fuel requirements are similar. 350 maybe abit more.
This kit does 6PSI at best. I think I mentioned above it is a Hot Air kit, no intercooler. I wouldn't expect to see those types of % gains from this system. Conservatively I estimate it would give a 20-25% boost in power. At 225hp stock, I am only expecting about LT1 power output. Sure the headers and exhaust have helped as well, but only so far. I don't think the combo should be doing much over 300hp.

Other thing is just trying to use as much pe enrichment vs rpm adder to give the right fuel to keep fmu pressure boosting down to a minimum
I am not there, yet. I am sure there is plenty that could be done to optimize the tune, but I want to just get a baseline where the kit should have performed as sold. Bolt on and go. I am sure it left ponies on the shelf and I am OK with that initially, maybe permanently. This car is just a fun cruiser and soon to have a decent stereo in it. So, that last 10-20hp or so isn't going to bother me.

or try a blower works maf
I am sure using the newer electronics has it's advantages. Both the Corvette (LT4) and Iroc have supercharged MAF systems. I am considering upgrades for both and what I learn on one, transfer to the other. However, my main goal right now isn't to perform further changes, just get to what the expected baseline performance should be. I don't think the MAF is the root of my issues. I believe it to be because of the Fuel Injector swap. I have read a few places where people have had to adjust their flow rating in their tune, plus the voltage offsets for Bosch IIIs.

I am open to being shown otherwise.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I use a wideband on anything as a quick check and more accurate check of fueling. Especially useful for open loop scenarios on startup and warmup and wot. Esp on a hot air blower car you will want to be abit richer than most systems. Not crazy rich on 6 psi but def abit richer than a na build lol. Narrow band mv can get you close using the old 850-930 mv range but that can be 13 to 11.5 or more afr variance. Its hard to say
Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by KyleF
Thanks for looking at it. Yes 160 baud is what it is. So, this car is supercharged. I do have a narrow band 02 gage on it that the PO installed. Not that it I trust it fully, but it does usually show lean cruising. As confirmed by the BLM. In another thread, I asked about a good way to see Fuel Pressure at speed due to this. I know it needs work

Question is, would installing a AFPR and bringing the base fuel pressure up be enough? Does it need tuned? Are the pump(s) weak?

It has the Vortech hot air bolt in kit that wasn't supposed to need a tune... booster pump and boost referenced timing retard. I am not going for every last HP here, just want to feel its all safe. Also, I am about 95% sure it has Bosch III yellows in it. To say, that is what they look like but I didn't install them. So, I have to question it a bit. I got a few good pictures a few nights ago. I am going to post them in a separate thread for validation.
I just tuned a 350 stock cam/heads with a wb and Bosch 3 injectors and procharger.
He was also using a fmu . Send me a pm if you want a copy of the bin.