South Central Region Board for the states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisana.

Houston area inspection recommendations

Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 z28
Engine: 383 LT1 in the works
Transmission: T-56 in the works
Axle/Gears: 3.73 in the works
Houston area inspection recommendations

Hi all, just moved to Houston from NY and trying to get my car on the road. But finding lots of conflicting information. My 92z is now 25 year old so i am looking to go for the custom vehicle classification since i also have a complete rebuild from the frame up. TxDPS website says you need inspection before registration, but question is how do you get an inspection done if you cant drive to somewhere for inspection? had a lot of trouble getting our daily cars registered and seems like this is the worst process I've ever seen anywhere. when calling i get different information depending on the person i speak with.

any help would be great.

thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 09:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Houston area inspection recommendations

You could just find the nearest shop and take the chance to drive there. It will only be a safety inspection, no emission. As far as registering it I don't know about that. Have you looked into antique plates? Might be easier to register that way.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 93 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 Street Twin
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.90

I bought my GTA from out of state and had this dilemma. I used a title company to transfer the out state title to a Texas title in my name. You can do similar, you're basically just applying for the Texas title. At this point, they can issue you a temporary Texas tag, paper plate. You're legal to drive it with the temp tag, get it inspected, etc. The title place then registered it for me. The fees were nominal versus going to a court house and dealing with this.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 PM
esc

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '82 Camaro 11.7@121
Engine: 377
Transmission: 400
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 / 3.31:1

If it isn't a daily driver. Antique is the way to go. No inspection required, and the registration is good for 5 years.

Search this Thread