South West Region South West regional discussion board.

**Tucson 3rd Gen Gathering: Sign up here**

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Don't
Engine: have
Transmission: it
Axle/Gears: anymore
Re: **Tucson 3rd Gen Gathering: Sign up here**

Right on s4l, so is it a 305 or 350? TPI, TBI?

Hey Saadin looks like we're on the same boat with the jobs huh? It really sucks if ya ask me! As for dropping a 350 in your bird, I've seen alot of 350s on craigslist locally so thats probably a good place to look. Hey whatever it takes to get five-o (s***) off your back do it ! I've been pulled over twice in my GTA and wasn't so lucky both times... I'll just leave it at that lol!

L8r,
Phoenix
Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 PM
s4l

Car: None atm :(
Engine: :(
Transmission: :(
Axle/Gears: :(

Sadly, it's just a 6 banger for now, but when I PCS to Texas next month, I'm gonna find and rebuild a 350 carb and toss it in there, while also swapping in a 5 speed.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 AM

Car: 84' Firebird
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4:11

ahh hehe, ya tickets suck. and 6 bangers are actually pretty fast and will still spin the tires. i mean your top speed wont be the best of the best (120 - 140) depending on the engine etc etc, but my little get around car goes toe to toe with the newer vette's and its an i6.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 AM

Sounds like a plan to me man, after drivin in the 6 for so long your gonna feel a hell of a difference when u swap in the v8 ! V6 still make good power if you mod them correctly but IMO isn't worth it much on these cars. My brother recently picked up a '95 maxima with some HIDs, 18" black aftermarket wheels, stage 1 clutch, 1" lowering springs, removed resonator and a cai. It catches pretty good speed for a 6 cylinder. Gets to 40mph on 2nd gear. I'd like to give him a go against my GTA and see what happens .

Are you referring to your prelude Saadin? You must of put some good mods on it to be keeping up with vettes for that matter.

L8r,
Phoenix
Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 IROC, ‘91 Trans am Convertible
Engine: 305 5spd, 305 auto,
Transmission: 5spd/Automatic

My car is running, and currently passed emissions but getting ready to start the body work, going for the original war paint scheme of Red with gold on the bottom.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM

no hehe, i still have the prelude but im going to sell it, i now have a 2001 bmw m3 sleeper. last time i took it to the track it ran an 11.5 and that was before the stage 3 turbos upgrade from stage 2. im guessing it can run about an 11 now.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
s4l

What color 'lude?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:16 PM

white with the offtone of old XD
Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 PM

I was about to replace my passenger's side fender yesterday but decided not to since there was a good amount of bondo which I didn't notice it had when I bought it . I guess I'll just scrap both the banged up driver's side and bondoed passenger's side fenders.

Whoa Saadin ! So in other word its a twin turbo m3?? Damn that thing must fly and is definately a sleeper! Would spank my GTA like nothing .

@Mecham84, Who would of thought that one of the rarer thirdgen t/a's existed here in Tucson, A Mecham Trans Am!. I'd like to see it at a future thirdgen meet here... that is if there ever is one lol!

L8r,
Phoenix
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM

oh ya lol, it definitely surprises people hehe. unfortunately with gas prices hitting 3 again i wont be able to afford the gas >.<
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
s4l

Anyone know anyone selling a running third gen maro for $1500 or less?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM

I don't... have you tried looking on craigslist?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 PM
s4l

I found one 89 with a 305 for $2000 obo and an 80 with a 305 and 4 spd for same.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:03 PM
s4l

Any of y'all wanna meet up? I have 2 hours to kill before I check out this 89 maro.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM

I wouldn't of been able to meet up since my tags are expired. Do both cars run. Just an fyi bro, the '80 camaro is a 2nd gen. Thirdgen camaros came out in '82. What was the car's condition? Are you gonna end up picking it up for $2000?

L8r,
Phoenix
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 PM
s4l

Yeah, I know the '80 is a 2nd. They both run, but the '89 needs either a MAF or IAC. It starts fine, but dies unless you give it some gas, then once it's somewhat warm, it'll idle really rough, but runs. Also has no muffler, but down here in SV, they don't do emissions for registration, so that's no issue. It has a cherry bomb and it sounds awesome. I talked the dude down to $1500 cash, and I'm taking a friend or two (both are ASE certs) to look at it. The '80 runs fine, is kind of hard to start, and also will need a new rear main soon. '89 has decent interior, with newer seats, but no sound system (deck or speakers), but wiring is there. Paint is okay.. AZ sun has beat the **** out of it. '80 needs all new interior, and speakers but has the deck.. either car will be a resto project, so yeah. I'm leaning towards the '89.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:05 AM

The rough idling sounds like the IAC is either really dirty or shot. I experienced rough idling issues with my car and cleaning it smoothed it out a lil bit. Later in the months it started to rough idle once again but this time the IAC was still clean meaning it most likely went bad. I've replace it since and problem solved. Judging by what both cars need, it looks like the '89 is your best bet. For the most part the interior and the replacing the rear main on the '80 is going to cost big $$$. Is the 'maro an IROC or RS?

L8r,
Phoenix
Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 AM

Car: 87 Iroc Z
Engine: 350 TPI

I'm from Tucson, though I've never seen any real camaro activity going on (to my knowledge anyway). Been to the in 'n' out on broadway and kolb to hang out with some old friends, but damn did I feel out of place.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM
s4l

Originally Posted by The_Phoenix
The rough idling sounds like the IAC is either really dirty or shot. I experienced rough idling issues with my car and cleaning it smoothed it out a lil bit. Later in the months it started to rough idle once again but this time the IAC was still clean meaning it most likely went bad. I've replace it since and problem solved. Judging by what both cars need, it looks like the '89 is your best bet. For the most part the interior and the replacing the rear main on the '80 is going to cost big $$$. Is the 'maro an IROC or RS?

L8r,
Phoenix
Both RS. I have a few mech friends who would help me on the rear main, it would just be a PITA. I'm gonna buy an IAC and swap it to see what happens.. then run a comp. test and see what happens.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM

@s4l i would definitely go with the 89, it looks to me like a decently small fix.
@samurai heyas, i dont usually take my firebird out there, i usually roll up in a mustang or bmw :P do you go every weekend? oh btw guys, drag strip does test and tunes every weekend, hope to see alot of ya out there. theres 4 or 5 3rd gens and 1 1969 maro, its only like 20 bucks. ill prolly be there every weekend, so dont be afraid :P
Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Sooo.... been noticing some new names popping up all of a sudden here on the forum from fellow third genners here in Tucson (atleast in my p.o.v.). Eventually when this third gen gathering pops off there will be quite a few of us hangin' out at the in-n-out on Broadway. Good to see the third gen community here in the city getting a bit bigger .There are probably more out there just not on the forum.

Samurai, I've seen atleast 13-16 (probably more) third gen camaros here in the city. Looks like they're pretty much just scattered but mostly see 'em on the Eastside of town. Last one I saw was going east on 22nd, it was red with black hood blisters and looked clean!

S4l, hopefully the new IAC fixes your problem. In case you need help adjusting the minimum idle, heres a good place to look: https://www.thirdgen.org/tpimod2 . So that must mean you picked that badboy up huh? Not a bad price IMO.

This just hit me but I think it would be pretty bad a** to have a cruise or a meet down 4th ave on a weekend some time in the future as well. Hopefully I'll have my car looking good by then. Theres a dairy queen on that street that has some good parking space. Would it be something to look forward to or no?

L8r,
Phoenix
Old 02-14-2011, 03:00 PM

saadin:
That could explain why I haven't saw ya lol. Can't recognize a fellow 3rd genner when they pull up in something that's not a 3rd gen. As for Test and tune, I would love to go down there, but my car eats gas like nobodys business (see code 36 thread lol). That, and I would definitely need a full tank for the trip, but don't have that kind of money.

The_Phoenix:
I've been here, just haven't saw any real new activity in the Tucson area. My friend and I are the only people that have 3rd gen (don't really know anyone else that has one currently). I think it would be pretty bad *** to have a cool little chill meet (nothing but 3rd gens). I can post a pic of my car. Maybe you guys have seen it before?

On other things, anyone check out the craigslist for camaros? There's an interesting 91 yellow camaro. Looks pretty clean.

Last edited by Samurai_Of_Dawn; 02-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
s4l

Originally Posted by saadin
@s4l i would definitely go with the 89, it looks to me like a decently small fix
That's what I'll end up doing. I'm going to come up Saturday, tinker with the car (try and get it running half decent), come back here, sell my Honda, then get a ride back up there either Saturday evening or Sunday.

S4l, hopefully the new IAC fixes your problem. In case you need help adjusting the minimum idle, heres a good place to look: https://www.thirdgen.org/tpimod2 . So that must mean you picked that badboy up huh? Not a bad price IMO.

This just hit me but I think it would be pretty bad a** to have a cruise or a meet down 4th ave on a weekend some time in the future as well. Hopefully I'll have my car looking good by then. Theres a dairy queen on that street that has some good parking space. Would it be something to look forward to or no?

L8r,
Phoenix
I haven't picked it up yet, hopefully this weekend. Guy is going to get the title notarized this weekend. Thanks for the link.

If y'all have this "meet 'n' greet" before March 24, then I'm down to attend. If it's after, I'm gonna be gone.

Originally Posted by Samurai_Of_Dawn
On other things, anyone check out the craigslist for camaros? There's an interesting 91 yellow camaro. Looks pretty clean.
CL is where I found mine, but haven't looked in the last few days.

If any of y'all want to help me with this car, I'm more than willing to pick said person up somewhere and drive.. I'll throw like $20 at ya if we can get the car sounding half decent. I don't know very much about the 305, so any and all experience is helpful.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Samurai - I see what u mean... back when I bought my GTA in '07, I didn't really see any t/a activity in town either. Now a days I've actually seen quite a few formulas, GTA's and 'mutts' around . One example of a 'mutt' is one I've seen on the southside of town with trans am gfx and black GTA honeycomb wheels but taillights of a formula. Another one on the northside which has irocs on it. There are 2 that are sorta donked out with what look like 22" rims... man are they deep though . One is an 82-84 model and the other a 91-92 vert both blue in color.

It would be pretty cool to try somethin different for a change instead of meeting at the usual in-n-out location. Funny thing is I've never actually met with anybody at that location myself lol but it seems like 4th ave would be another cool place to do a little thirdgen round-up. Btw I'd like to see a pic of your car, probably have seen it cruisin around.

S4l - no problem bro thats what we're here for. As for a meet-up anytime soon, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to attend. Did I mention no (cough) job (cough) (cough) at the moment lol so I can't get my GTA lookin good for a meet if anything. Did you find anything else wrong with the '89? I'd be willing to help u out with the 'maro since I just stay home pretty much all day.

L8r,
Phoenix

Last edited by The_Phoenix; 02-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 PM
s4l

I saw one 3rd gen Sunday when I was up there, on 22nd. Same one you saw.. red with the black blisters.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 PM

The Phoenix:
Seem's like everyone has saw that black with red blisters camaro. I may have seen it, but I really don't recall. I really don't see alot of GTA's. Formulas I see a fair ammount. Haven't seen any of the ones with 22's (eew, why would ya do that to these cars??). As for fourth ave, why such a clustered street? So crowded, ya can't find a parking spot XD

btw, here's a pic of the car all cleaned up. It's dirty now, but it doesn't take long to get her cleaned up
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...awn/camaro.jpg

S4l:
V6 eh? Never worked on a V6. Wish I had more mechanic knowledge to be of real use. I'm still figurin things out on my car lol. Out of curiousity, what seems to be the prob with the car though?

If any of ya got pics of your ride, I woul like ta see 'em
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 AM

Yeah I've seen that red 'maro just once. Now that I recall, there is a shop near my apartment complex were I saw another red one going for $4500 a couple of months ago. It was a convertible with black stripes and black top. Looked damn clean as well. My brother who likes camaros would of loved to buy it but didn't have the money at the time.

Samurai - You do got a point there about crowded a** 4th ave lol. We could just cruise down the avenue instead... third gen behind third gen sorta like when you see them damn noisy harleys one behind another. Don't know if we would be getting the wrong attention from the police though . Yeah those donked t/a's must dwell around the ghetto side mostly lol... biggest size rim I would go with are 20's. As for your camaro it looks bad a** man you can't go wrong with a black third gen ! Heres a pic of my GTA before I got involved in a fender bender... I bought her and hauled her back from Texas.
Attached Thumbnails **Tucson 3rd Gen Gathering: Sign up here**-camfgpe7.jpg  
Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 AM

4500 eh? There was a black one by my house going for 2500. It was a turquois originally, but was repainted black. That, and it was an RS (looked like it needed a fair amount of work).

Last time I saw 4th ave, there was construction going on. But that was a good while ago. Not sure what it looks like now. Probably the same since AZ never finishes their construction projects once they start lol.

20 is pretty big for my taste. Biggest I would go is 18. Glad ya like my car. Your car is pretty sweet looking as well. Now cruising in a pack down 4th ave would be cool, but what would police do about us? We just "cruisin' on by" lol. And yeah, we may be gettin' attention, whether we wanted it or not lmao. That's what a third gen does.

How bad a fender bender is she? What fender got it?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 AM

Yeah maybe the red vert I saw probably needed minor details, nothin that I could see on the outside though. If the black one u mentioned was a V-8 I think its worth it for the price. A V-6... I'd have to think about it.

I've actually been thru 4th ave a few times within the last month or so with some friends of mine... no unfinished construction that I've seen around the area . As far as cops go, I've been seeing them driving around scoping the area the times that I've been there recently (thanks alot crazy a** drunk people lol). I bet they'd get suspicious seeing a bunch of third gens cruisin down the ave and probably think we're in a 'gang' or somethin lol. I guess it wouldn't hurt to talk to one of them and see if we can clear things up a bit.

The fender bender was a pretty good sized dent/crease on my DS but replaced it last week with a gunmetal grey fender and a red DS rocker gfx. I guess I'm included in the 'mutt' category since my car has different body panels lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 AM
s4l

Nah it's a 305 V8. It has idle issues. It dies or barely idles when cold.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM

when are ya going to pick it up s4l?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
s4l

I'm coming up either Friday evening and stay the night at DM or come up Sat morning an be there around 11.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM

alrighty well if im available i may be able to help.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
s4l

Scratching that 3rd gen. I found a 2nd gen (78 Z28) with a carb'd 350 with turbo 350 trans. Runs like a charm from what he said. Also has 75,500 original miles. Just needs paint and interior work. Anyone wanna meet up Saturday afternoon or evening?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM

I am in Tucson and wanting to purchase a Third gen, but I can't find any on craigslist that are worth purchasing. Ideally I want a 5.7L one. Anyone know of any being sold around here that aren't on Craigslist?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM
s4l

I haven't. Just one down past Casino Del Sol that has a 5.0, but has idle issues.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by s4l
I haven't. Just one down past Casino Del Sol that has a 5.0, but has idle issues.
Yeah, I have seen some on Phoenix Craigslist, I just didn't want to make the drive. I will probably end up planning a saturday or sunday drive up there to look at a couple of them.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 PM

s4l:
Could be a number of things if it has idle issues. I woulda said check wires and plugs along with IAC (phoenix mentioned this I believe?). But....Since you're planning a 2nd gen route, we don't have to play doctor and look for anymore cures lol.
The 2nd gen, is it primered up? Definitely take a mechanic friend with ya and inspect the hell out of it. What's the asking price for it?

musclecar274:
Only one I found was that yellow one on craigslist. Other than that, you're mostly gonna find 305, V6, 4th gen, and anything inbetween. 3rd gens with a 5.7 tend to go rather quick when they are for sale lol.

Anyone doin anything this coming weekend, or Friday? I got a feeling I'm gonna be bored as hell. Also, have any of you had car wash meet ups?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 AM
s4l

s4l:
Could be a number of things if it has idle issues. I woulda said check wires and plugs along with IAC (phoenix mentioned this I believe?). But....Since you're planning a 2nd gen route, we don't have to play doctor and look for anymore cures lol.
The 2nd gen, is it primered up? Definitely take a mechanic friend with ya and inspect the hell out of it. What's the asking price for it?
He's asking $2500 but I offered $2000 cash and he said yes. I'll look through it good and test drive the f*** out of it. And yes, it's primered up. You know the people?

Last edited by s4l; 02-16-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by s4l
He's asking $2500 but I offered $2000 cash and he said yes. I'll look through it good and test drive the f*** out of it. And yes, it's primered up. You know the people?
lol nope, don't know 'em, but I found this and took a shot in the dark. Also, check out this recent add on on cl. Pretty sweet lookin:

By chance, could it be this one
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2189034970.html

Also, check out this. Pretty cleam IMO.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2216729677.html

There's some decent 2nd and 3rd gens on cl. I don't bother looking at 4th gens (they really don't appeal to me for some reason).
Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 AM

S4l - Thats actually a damn good price for that 2nd gen being that it only needs paint, some interior work and the actual original miles it has. Nice find!

Musclecar274 - When I would head up the u-pull & save on the Northside, I would always see 2 third gen camaros just sitting there parked outside 2 different houses not far from each other. They look like they are driven very little or not driven at all. One is green and sits under a ramada partially covered by a car cover, the other is orange iirc completely uncovered. I'm pretty sure one of them is an IROC. Depending on what type of third gen you are lookin for 'maro or 'bird, I'd leave a note or knock on the door to see if they're for sale. There used to be a blue and grey '86+ t/a as well near there but haven't seen it anymore. Just my .

L8r,
Phoenix
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 AM

Musclecar274 - check this one out, its local: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

L8r,
Phoenix
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
s4l

lol nope, don't know 'em, but I found this and took a shot in the dark. Also, check out this recent add on on cl. Pretty sweet lookin:

By chance, could it be this one
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2189034970.html
That's the exact one.

S4l - Thats actually a damn good price for that 2nd gen being that it only needs paint, some interior work and the actual original miles it has. Nice find!
That's what I'm saying. 75k original miles, plus it has the 350 with turbo 350 trans and a posi rear-end, which is what I was going to do to a third gen anyways.

Why the hell do you guys always get on late at night? :P
Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 AM

looks like a great buy, s4l. if i had the money i would buy this 76 T/a with 80k original on it that i saw forsale for only 3g.
Oh and thats a good looking iroc, not a big fan of camaro's but iroc's are one of the few i really liked.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM

S4l - What color are u thinkin of painting her? I really don't know why I get on so late... I guess it just became a habit lol!

I agree the IROC on autotrader looks pretty good but is a little over priced for its mileage... not really a camaro fan ttytt I like the body lines of the t/a better.

Phoenix
Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM
s4l

I dont have the slightest idea. It will most likely stay primered until I return from deployment.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Phoenix: By chance, where is that u-pull you are talking about? I've been to the one on contractors way, but haven't seen/been to that one. Any good selections?
s4l: I'm a night owl, so I like stayin up late lol

s4l: I'm a night owl, so I like stayin up late lol. Well when ya get back, hopefully you have a good color in mind.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 IROC, ‘91 Trans am Convertible
Engine: 305 5spd, 305 auto,
Transmission: 5spd/Automatic

I was about to replace my passenger's side fender yesterday but decided not to since there was a good amount of bondo which I didn't notice it had when I bought it . I guess I'll just scrap both the banged up driver's side and bondoed passenger's side fenders.

Whoa Saadin ! So in other word its a twin turbo m3?? Damn that thing must fly and is definately a sleeper! Would spank my GTA like nothing .

@Mecham84, Who would of thought that one of the rarer thirdgen t/a's existed here in Tucson, A Mecham Trans Am!. I'd like to see it at a future thirdgen meet here... that is if there ever is one lol!

L8r,
Phoenix
Mecham...It has been quite the problem child over the years, 2 years ago I swapped all of the old components to '89 305 TPI system for more reliability. Plus nobody in Tucson could tune the old electronic carb! Now 4-days ago the Head gasket blew-and I baby it. Dang this car makes me mad. Have owned it for 12 years, and it's been road worthy 4 of them, non-consecutive! Hopefully I can get it back on the road soon!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Mecham: Damn that sucks man. I have to agreee, not alot of places like to touch older stuff. Seems with this time of age, everything has gone computer. Meh go figure. What places have you tried to get it tuned?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 AM

S4l - Right on! That should be more than enough time to decide on a color .

Samurai - The u-pull & save is located on North Camino De La Tierra. Depending on what part of town your on go up North on I-10, get off on Orange Grove Rd and head right until you reach Camino de la tierra and hit another right. Keep goin down that road and you'll eventually come up to it; it will be on your left hand side. They charge a 1 dollar entrance fee and require you to sign in. The yard is pretty big but for thirdgens in specific I'd say they have a decent selection. I usually see more camaros than firebirds there.

Mecham84 - Sorry to hear it giving you problems man! With it being a rare car I'd just keep at it until I made sure it was running like a champ . I had to do that with my GTA which had problems ranging from idling issues to a bent piston rod and other thing in between. I can now safely say its a beast since I whooped the s*** out of a srt4 neon last year. All of the work paid off eventually and should be the same for you. With a little time I'm sure you'll have that badboy up and running.

Phoenix

Quick Reply: **Tucson 3rd Gen Gathering: Sign up here**