South West Region South West regional discussion board.

Arizona Roll Call!

Old 04-04-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Arizona Roll Call!

On April 22, we'll be on the track at Atlanta Motorspeedway. If the event included road course sessions, we might go if we were going to be in town but drag racing isn't that exciting compared to 20 minute sessions on the road course.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700

They had the entire curse open last year, there were guys racing corvettes on the course. Not the dragstrip. Then there were the turbo guys having fun drifting, and finally the fast guys doing john force burnouts... all not on the 1/4 mile track, this was all open in a probably acre sized paved lot
Old 04-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Silver 1985 Iroc
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto

I am in Chandler. I have an 85 Iroc with 51k on it, this is my 5th thirdgen. Picked it up at a good price but it needs a few little things but overall in good shape and runs decent. Anyone know of anyone who works on these cars you would recommend in the Valley?

I am looking to do headers/exhaust and suspension stuff to wake up the 305 a bit. I have classic car insurance so considering removing all emissions stuff. AC compressor is bad so considering replacing that or just removing all the AC stuff too. Also my rear trunk doesn't latch down, don't think it has a pull down motor. Just trying to find someone who does good work as my mechanical abilities are limited.
Attached Thumbnails Arizona Roll Call!-imag3637.jpg   Arizona Roll Call!-imag3641.jpg   Arizona Roll Call!-imag3639.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by fast lenny
I am in Chandler. I have an 85 Iroc with 51k on it, this is my 5th thirdgen. Picked it up at a good price but it needs a few little things but overall in good shape and runs decent. Anyone know of anyone who works on these cars you would recommend in the Valley?

I am looking to do headers/exhaust and suspension stuff to wake up the 305 a bit. I have classic car insurance so considering removing all emissions stuff. AC compressor is bad so considering replacing that or just removing all the AC stuff too. Also my rear trunk doesn't latch down, don't think it has a pull down motor. Just trying to find someone who does good work as my mechanical abilities are limited.
-lenny, I have a few friends I’d recommend in chandler for you. I run a small shop from my home, and have a very good reputation in the valley. BUT I'm way out the nw area of phx— the items you’ve listed are all easily doable.. 1985 iroc, it should the tpi injection, correct? If you want we can talk more offline.
james@ifitsgotwheels.com and my shop website ifitsgotwheels.com has my contact info as well
Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 PM

I am looking to do headers/exhaust and suspension stuff to wake up the 305 a bit. I have classic car insurance so considering removing all emissions stuff.
Any certified shop will have to legally keep all the emissions equipment on the car or replace it with new parts. It is illegal for a shop (or you) to remove these items under federal law on any vehicle that will be driven on the street. The fine is something like $10,000 per vehicle under the Federal Clean Air Act. And it doesn't matter what type of insurance you have on the vehicle or if you live in an area that does inspections or not. That's just to let you know why some shops will refuse to do the emissions delete and exhaust modifications. Many performance and smaller shops will still do it if the car is exempt based on age or insurance status or if you are paying cash and don't want a receipt for that piece of work. If no records exist, they can claim they weren't the ones that did it.

For shops in the east valley, I would recommend TopGearMotorsports. http://www.topgearms.com/ The owner Sean is very knowledgeable on the fbody platform and should be able to do all of this for you. Realistically though, you would be well served learning how to do some of these items yourself. None of the things you mentioned are that hard to do with basic hand tools and a couple of jack stands. Living in the valley, I'd recommend getting the AC fixed.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by bk2life
-lenny, I have a few friends I’d recommend in chandler for you. I run a small shop from my home, and have a very good reputation in the valley. BUT I'm way out the nw area of phx— the items you’ve listed are all easily doable.. 1985 iroc, it should the tpi injection, correct? If you want we can talk more offline.
james@ifitsgotwheels.com and my shop website ifitsgotwheels.com has my contact info as well
Thanks for the reply. Sent you an email.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by Beater79TA

For shops in the east valley, I would recommend TopGearMotorsports. http://www.topgearms.com/ The owner Sean is very knowledgeable on the fbody platform
Wasn't my experience there. But that was 8 years ago when lt1 hate was at its peak. They were clueless to anything non LSx.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice
Wasn't my experience there. But that was 8 years ago when lt1 hate was at its peak. They were clueless to anything non LSx.
Sean shouldn't have any problems with headers and suspension. He does a nice rebuild on 700R4 and newer transmissions too. I agree with you that I wouldn't send engine work his way for a SBC or tuning on a TBI or TPI system.

There aren't too many shops left in the Valley that can do tuning on 3rd gen fuel injection though and only a few that will do a non-racing carb tuneup correctly.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I do my own tuning so that doesn't effect me.

I just had a pretty poor experience in many ways.

I agree that anybody can handle bolt ons.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 AM

Hi James. I sent you an email and am unsure if you got it or not. I wouldn't mind traveling if need be unless you know someone near me. My car is TPI. I want to do some suspension stuff. I have some new shocks and struts in my garage. I need to do those along with some LCA's, strut tower brace and strut mounts to improve the handling.

Not sure if I am going to mess with the springs on it though. Sub frame connectors would be nice too. I know I want to do headers also to free up some HP and get her breathing good. Maybe you can give me pricing for yourself or what I should expect to pay for some of this with someone else. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 PM

Axle/Gears: 342

Hi James. I sent you an email and am unsure if you got it or not. I wouldn't mind traveling if need be unless you know someone near me. My car is TPI. I want to do some suspension stuff. I have some new shocks and struts in my garage. I need to do those along with some LCA's, strut tower brace and strut mounts to improve the handling.

Not sure if I am going to mess with the springs on it though. Sub frame connectors would be nice too. I know I want to do headers also to free up some HP and get her breathing good. Maybe you can give me pricing for yourself or what I should expect to pay for some of this with someone else. Thanks for any help.
Sounds like most of that could be done in a garage. Let me know if you need a hand, I think everything could be done in one weekend.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 85iroc94transam
Sounds like most of that could be done in a garage. Let me know if you need a hand, I think everything could be done in one weekend.
Thanks I appreciate that. I do have car knowledge but not lots of hands on experience or tools so I prefer to pay the piper so to speak. haha

Your camaro is very nice. Saw it on CL. I am still searching for a solid guy to do work on my vehicle though. I get very leery of anyone just working on it or lots of different people touching it.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:24 PM

Axle/Gears: 342

Thanks I appreciate that. I do have car knowledge but not lots of hands on experience or tools so I prefer to pay the piper so to speak. haha

Your camaro is very nice. Saw it on CL. I am still searching for a solid guy to do work on my vehicle though. I get very leery of anyone just working on it or lots of different people touching it.

Nothing wrong with that
Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 AM

sorry guys, i didnt get anything letting me know this thread was updated.

any of you on facebook?
https://tinyurl.com/mq2fl27 thats me. lots of carshows, and going ons all over the valley. in 2 weeks is a huge cruise to prescott
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Fri.-Sat., Jul. 14-15 - Sema Collector Car Day

Nancy Perry Productions will be holding their Sema Collector Car Day on Friday at Friday, Martin Auto Museum, 17641 N. Black Canyon in Phoenix (Get Map) and on Saturday at Mixteca, 6731 W. Bell Rd. in Glendale. (Get Map)
Event Hours - Friday 9-12 am @ Musuem - Saturday Mixteca 4 till 8 pm
Entry Fee - FREE
Click For More Details
More Info: Nancy 602-843-3545
Old 09-06-2017, 04:03 AM

Got my strut tower brace in and new Moog springs with a coil in the front cut off and a coil and a half in the rear cut out. New shocks and struts along with some other front end parts that were needing to be done. I got my Founders rear panhard and rear LCAs going in soon. Waiting in the mail for my 18x10.5s to come in too for it. Going to do subframe connectors after the wheels and tires.
Attached Thumbnails Arizona Roll Call!-9465.jpeg   Arizona Roll Call!-9466.jpeg   Arizona Roll Call!-9467.jpeg   Arizona Roll Call!-9468.jpeg   Arizona Roll Call!-s-l500-3-.jpg  

Arizona Roll Call!-s-l500-2-.jpg   Arizona Roll Call!-9374.jpeg  

Last edited by fast lenny; 09-06-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:43 PM

Hey guys, this is going to be a long shot but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I’m looking for my original 1991 Camaro RS I sold back in 2007 in Phoenix AZ. I sold it to a father of a 17 year old kid (I believe) that later called me telling me it had rolled down his driveway and into his neighbors house, they repaired it and asked if I wanted to buy it back, they lived in Fountain Hills. Last pic I saw of it the kid had put some sort of body kit on it with fog lights. Photos attached and description is as follows:

Black 1991 Camaro RS (Slick Top)
305 TPI conversion
Painless Wireharness for conversion
Conversion kit and engine was purchased from AZ TPI in Tempe back in 2005, they closed down years ago)
T5 5-Spd (B&M T Handle)
Centerforce Stage 2 Clutch
Eaton Limited Slip with Motive 3.73 gears
MagnaFlow Mufler with Chrome Tips
OE 87 I-ROC wheels
Had clarion deck and infinity speakers with autobahn 4ch amp and infinity amplified subwoofer.
Lots of other minor mods but that should be the main stuff that would last the test of time in the right hands.

Maybe someone will recognize the parts I had on it and point me to the current owner. Looking to get back into the third gen scene and thought I would try to buy my old fling back. Any help is appreciated!

1991 Camaro RS

1991 Camaro RS

Old 11-18-2018, 09:39 AM

whats the VIN ?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Transmission: 700R4

Just wanted to say hey, so hey!

Newbie to 3rd gens, just picked up a 1991 Trans Am project car. I plan to get it running again to use as a street car, and slowly rebuilt it to be much more presentable!

I know it currently needs a fuel pump, a rear spoiler, the rear hatch mechanism put back together and then it should run as it starts up on starter fluid.

Take Care!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by AJCrader
Just wanted to say hey, so hey!

Newbie to 3rd gens, just picked up a 1991 Trans Am project car. I plan to get it running again to use as a street car, and slowly rebuilt it to be much more presentable!

I know it currently needs a fuel pump, a rear spoiler, the rear hatch mechanism put back together and then it should run as it starts up on starter fluid.

Take Care!
With the fun involved in dropping the tank to change a fuel pump, do yourself a favor and buy a good one. I like the Racetronix kits complete with the hotwire setup. You can cut a trapdoor in the hatch area to access the pump but if you do it that way you also have to cut all 3 of the hardlines used by the fuel system before you can pull the pump.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:50 AM

With the fun involved in dropping the tank to change a fuel pump, do yourself a favor and buy a good one. I like the Racetronix kits complete with the hotwire setup. You can cut a trapdoor in the hatch area to access the pump but if you do it that way you also have to cut all 3 of the hardlines used by the fuel system before you can pull the pump.
I appreciate the heads up! The car came with a new pump, I will look into what it is exactly, and see what I can do from there!

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:37 AM

The car came with a new pump
whats your name, where you located? theres several shows on sat night and several 3rd gens that go out. im off of 67th ave and bell road.
also its much easier to reach out through facebook
Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 AM

whats your name, where you located? theres several shows on sat night and several 3rd gens that go out. im off of 67th ave and bell road.
also its much easier to reach out through facebook
AJ Crader, just like the user name, you can look me up on Facebook
Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 AM

AJ Crader, just like the user name, you can look me up on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AJCrader

guessin this is you?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:04 AM

yes
Old 01-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Cutting a trap door above the tank does make it much easier to change out the fuel pump once its done but to correctly and safely install the trap door is more work than just dropping the tank.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro IROC Z

Hello Everyone I'm Frank the Tank. I just bought my oldest boy Nick a 1989 Iroc z (pics below). We will be working on it over the next few years. Please lend whatever help you can. Thanks for letting me in the group. It needs some work but we have time. Can anyone point me in the direction of what is the best chin spoiler replacement?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Arizonafp
Hello Everyone I'm Frank the Tank. I just bought my oldest boy Nick a 1989 Iroc z (pics below). We will be working on it over the next few years. Please lend whatever help you can. Thanks for letting me in the group. It needs some work but we have time. Can anyone point me in the direction of what is the best chin spoiler replacement?

Welcome, I am new to this platform too, picked me up a 91 Trans Am...I haven't even touched mine yet, just finished building my '81 Fairmont Wagon with a 523 BBF, and I have to fix my wife's racecar, then my son's car, then I can jump on the trans am. Good luck with your build!
Old 02-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Arizonafp
Can anyone point me in the direction of what is the best chin spoiler replacement?
I keep hearing that nobody makes a stock replacement chin spoiler made from Urethane. Iv'e seen fiberglass. I've seen duraflex on eBay but the quality per members has been subpar. Junkyard, classifieds on these boards or eBay will probably be your best bet. Sometimes these cars will pop up on craigslist as part outs. Good news is if the spoiler has straight tear or smaller holes they can be fixed with the flexible bumper repair kits. I used it for a tear and hole in my rear bumper and it is not noticeable. I used it in the passenger side of the rear bumper just below where the emblem would have gone.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM

they've started the car show at 83rd avenue again.. good show
Old 06-05-2019, 03:49 PM

they've started the car show at 83rd avenue again.. good show
83rd Ave and what cross street? Assuming this is a Saturday night thing
Old 06-05-2019, 04:28 PM

83rd Ave and what cross street?

Riff Raff Mopar Founder Frank Riphrav has resurrected the old car show stomping grounds of 83rd Ave & Beardsley every Saturday night from 5pm to 9pm. Located in Planet Fitness Lot (old Safeway) 83rd Ave & Lake Pleasant Pkwy just North of Beardsley Rd.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Z-28.. Owned since 1985
Engine: LG4 (H) Vin Code

Hey bk2life,

Thanks for the up-date, Is the location at 83rd Ave. & Bell ? I'll have to stop by, check it out and drop off a bundle Roddin & Racin newspapers.
I'm the lead photographer for the paper, so check it out at.... www.RoddinAndRacinTV.com . Scroll down then click on 'current' paper with an '60 Orange Corvette & a '50 Studebaker on the front page.
(the website has not updated yet with the current June issue). I have a special Fathers Day addition for the June paper.

My "Home" Sat. night cruze-in location for years, has been 67th Ave. & Bell.

Thanks,
83ZZZ28
Old 06-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 83ZZZ28
Thanks for the up-date, Is the location at 83rd Ave. & Bell
No. 83rd Ave & Lake Pleasant Pkwy which is North of Beardsley Rd

Originally Posted by 83ZZZ28
My "Home" Sat. night cruze-in location for years, has been 67th Ave. & Bell.
67th & bell is a bit ugly right now with all the construction.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi

Originally Posted by AmpleUnicorn88
We're you trying to say you were going to be moving to the Grand Canyon State, or the Grand Canyon area? Either way, you will love it in Arizona. This is my personal favorite place to live in the world. Not that I have been everywhere, but I have been to a great many places on this planet.

If you are going to be living in the Phoenix area, I don't see much action for people in this area. Junkyards right now are actually kind of plentiful with third gens, and occasionally you will see another third gen on the street (maybe even my 88 or my 87 iroc).
Moving to Phoenix in late Oct 2019 and bringing my 1988 IROC z28 Convertible. Looking to find the local 3rd Gen club, swaps, cruises, shows and parts guy. Will it be rare to see another third gen on the road much less an IROC.

Probably gonna need a decent mechanic that knows his way around a 3rd Gen. My car currently runs pretty good but you never know with these cars...they are 30 plus years old. Can you point me in the right area?
The following users liked this post:
PV Dirk (11-05-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Its been a while since I've been on here. I just picked up a 1989 IROC-Z hiding in Safford. It needs a full restoration so if anyone knows of any junkyards with a third gen in it let me know. I'm down here in Sierra Vista so I'm out of the way of everything.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 86NiteRider
Moving to Phoenix in late Oct 2019 and bringing my 1988 IROC z28 Convertible. Looking to find the local 3rd Gen club, swaps, cruises, shows and parts guy. Will it be rare to see another third gen on the road much less an IROC.

Probably gonna need a decent mechanic that knows his way around a 3rd Gen. My car currently runs pretty good but you never know with these cars...they are 30 plus years old. Can you point me in the right area?

Did you make it?
Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

I'll be relocating down to the Phoenix area at the end of this month. Anybody know of any good car shows that occur during the week or big car shows on the weekend? Or locations of cars and coffee besides Scottsdale?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tibo
I'll be relocating down to the Phoenix area at the end of this month. Anybody know of any good car shows that occur during the week or big car shows on the weekend? Or locations of cars and coffee besides Scottsdale?
Look on internet under McDonald’s rock and roll car show. It’s every Saturday at 4. Starts early, especially during auction season. Broad selection of cars. It’s always a big show. There are plenty of neighborhood events depending on where you are. In Ahwatukee there is a once a month group that is about 20 cars. Welcome. What part of the valley?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Car: 91 camaro convertible
Engine: 355 c.i.
Transmission: auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.90 moser 12 bolt

Originally Posted by Tibo
Both shows and cruises
https://www.cruisinarizona.com/carshows.html

https://www.cruisinarizona.com/cruisenites.htm

Last edited by Bill B; 11-10-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1983 LU5 Trans Am, 1967 Chevelle
Engine: LU5, LSx
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.73

Im in north Glendale. I usually daily my 83 LU5 Trans Am. I have owned a total of 15 thirdgens over the years, and have been into them for 20 years. I also have a 67 Chevelle that I did an LSx swap on, and run around with that from time to time.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

Hello everyone! After a brief hiatus (I call a few years"brief"). I am back active on the site. I am going to start a new roll call.
I am posting here, so every member that has posted here gets a notification.
DR.K.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by drknow90rs_ss@y
Hello everyone! After a brief hiatus (I call a few years"brief"). I am back active on the site. I am going to start a new roll call.
I am posting here, so every member that has posted here gets a notification.
DR.K.

okie dokie
Old 01-24-2023, 08:13 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders

I this still open. I live in the West Valley. When are the cruizes at and when?
Old 01-24-2023, 08:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1983 LU5 Trans Am, 1967 Chevelle
Engine: LU5, LSx
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.73

Originally Posted by 86NiteRider
I this still open. I live in the West Valley. When are the cruizes at and when?
The main Saturday night spot on the west side is at Mixteca on the SW corner of 67th Ave and Bell. Minimum of a few hundred cars a night.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:49 AM

Car: 91 camaro convertible
Engine: 355 c.i.
Transmission: auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.90 moser 12 bolt

Car Shows and Cruises

https://sites.google.com/view/cruisinaz
Old 01-24-2023, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks. I will be there.