South West Region South West regional discussion board.

Auto insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Auto insurance

I was wondering what insurance company is recommended particularly for your daily driver. I have Geico but they are raising my rates because of an accident. I am looking around for another company but I would like to be with a reputable company.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Auto insurance

USAA if you can. Otherwise Allstste or Farmers
Old 01-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

I'm with a company called KY Farm Bureau. ..but as the name would suggest they are local to KY. I've had good dealings with State Farm too.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Been with State Farm for 30 years. They have always taken care of me every time I've needed to use the insurance.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 305 TBI/305 TPI
Transmission: World Class T5/missing
Axle/Gears: 3.08/G92 3.45 posi

I feel like this has a lot of variables that come into play...

I currently use American Family.

I have had State Farm, USAA, and Geico before.

State Farm screwed my parents on a roofing repair so they dropped them and went with American Family and they helped us immediately. However, some lady tried to claim I ran her over in a parking lot so she filed a lawsuit against me when state farm wouldn't reimburse her medical expenses because they believed me. They stuck with me for 8 years even though I didn't have them as an insurance agency anymore and the lawyer they assigned to my case was awesome. I am contemplating switching back to them simply for this reason alone.

I had USAA eventually after hitting the fleet in the military. They seemed pretty good until I got back from my first deployment and found out they decided to continue coverage for my insurance policy, but not charge me. They gave me some BS story about Tue card I had on file had to be renewed every 6 months or it automatically cancels the auto payment but not my policy. So it racked up charges and fees for missing payments. I talked to some managers at their headquarters and basically went nowhere. I was confused that a company that deals with people deployed would have measures set up to avoid stuff like this. They wanted over $600 from me just to reinstate my insurance. So I asked if I don't pay are they sending my debt to collections. They said no but if you want insurance again that I had to pay them. I said insurance with them or just in general? They said with them but kept insisting that I pay. So I hung up the phone. I have checked my credit and it is not on there for the passed 5 ish years since this happened.

I then got Geico because they were advertising they did some sort of deal with people who have Navy Fed accounts so I went with them. Probably the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Customer service was 50/50 good and bad. They charged me so much it was crazy. I was so preoccupied with work and deployments I never had time to think about it, and just let them take advantage of me. I finally had enough before I went on my last deployment, and cancelled them.

I went with American Family and still have on all my cars now. When I called for a quote for my current situation, they were almost $100 a month less before discounts for multiple cars and home owner's insurance. So I saved even more. When I turned 25 i think it dropped even more again which would have happened with anybody.

These are just my experiences and obviously not the same for everybody. It's best to get a quote from as many places as possible and decide on what experience you want with your insurance company.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:58 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

It depends on your business you bring to the table. And your location.

Back home, for farm, home, auto policies, my parents can't beat Country Companies rates. They try on occasion too. Here, Country Companies rates aren't as competitive.

Here for home & auto, my wife and I can't beat State Farm rates. Back home, SF rates are high; there's no reason to go with them.

Farmers was okay for me when I was auto-only.

Unless they happen to be a much better rate than others, Geico is usually best avoided.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by jmd
Geico is usually best avoided.
My experience has been the opposite. I went back to Geico. I've had progressive, Geico and state farm. Every time my insurance situation changed my rates changed along with the company that offered me the best rate. First I had a small private insurance company when I only had my Camaro. Then I bought a second car and progressive was the best. Then I turned 25 and Geico was the best. Then I moved into a different area and magically state farm was the best. Then I got married and Geico was again the best. Then I bought my first house and Geico was all the sudden tied with state farm but I abhor state farm's road side assistance (horrible experience with them when I had to use it) and I already had Geico so I stayed. All state was always more no matter my situation.

So as you can see insurance is very situational as my experience has shown. According to your age, driving record, sex, buy vs rent, multiple autos (I have four on insurance so more discount) if you have kids, where you work and live, how much you drive. Everyone of us if we spent the evening looking would not come up with the same company for the lowest rate.

Your best off rate shopping around everytime a life event happens and then every year as its the only way to ensure a the lowest rate.