Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

inner front wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
inner front wheel bearings?

I don't really know if this exists but if it does would this cause my wheel to shake back and forth when it is jacked up and lean when I am taking a sharp turn in a parking lot making my tire scrub the inner fenderwell cover. This is getting really annoying and embarassing so any help would be appreciated. I tried replacing the outer bearings when I got new rotors, but that didn't help. If we have inner bearings (I guess on the spindle??) how hard are they to replace??
Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:51 AM

i dont see how you didnt see them when changing your rotor. yes there are some. they go on the spindle before you put on the rotor. it is very easy.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Monte Carlo SS...
Engine: T.P.I L98.
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
Well if you put on new rotors and didn't replace the inner bearings then ..yeah that is your problem. Those tires are going to fall off or fly apart due to high friction soon. I would take it all apart immediately and, well you will probably need new spindles, rotors and both the inner and outer bearings now because you have destroyed the stuff that was there. You really should be more carefull. You could have kiiled yourself and or someone else. I'm not trying to bad mouth you here either, but if you don't know what you are doing...then you shouldn't do it. Brakes are part of a safety issue. Good thing nothing fell off on you, or you could have had more damage the you allready had. Get it fixed!

Both the inner and outter bearings go in the rotor itself. One is on the outside where your nut is, and the other is in the inside of the rotor.. It is actually a easy job, you just need to repack the originals or freshly pack the new bearings. The one on the inside had a seal that keeps the bearing in place. You will need to replace both the seal and the bearings. HTH

Last edited by Cruzin Kaz; 12-10-2002 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:00 PM

Could this also cause somebody to have front end vibration at freeway speeds, and play in the steering?

Also, Ive never worked on the bearings on a camaro, so my question is do you need to get your bearings pressed in? I know on my old mr2 they need to be pressed into the hub. If they dont, than i can see this being a whole lot easier to replace my bearings...

Last edited by aklaim; 12-10-2002 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:50 PM

they dont need to be pressed in.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

On a FWD car then yes they need to be pressed, but on RWD cars no. It is just a matter of pulling out the retainer seal and replacing them. DOn't forget to pack them with grease. It is hard to explain and I don't have pics, but what you need to do is put a generous amount of wheel bearing grease in the cup of your hand. By taking the bearings edge pushing the bearing int your hand will force the grease up through the rollers of the bearing cage, keep doing this till you see the grease coming up though the other side of the cage of the bearing. Not a very good expaination but you'' get the idea when you try it. I hope!
Old 12-10-2002, 02:00 PM

Thank you very much, I actually understand your description there. I think I might tackle this sometime soon, weather permiting. Also, MR2's are RWD....
Old 12-10-2002, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

MR2's are RWD??? Well see. You can teach an old dog new tricks. I really didn't know that. But then again I only work on American/Canadian machines, well... you know what I mean. I have worked on plenty of the imported stuff, but I choose American/Canadian made for the most part. Never worked on a MR2 before though. Hmmm.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:13 PM

Yup, mid engine and rear wheel drive.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

I know of the cars. Most of them I see are Red or Yellow. Never worked on one yet. Toyota right????
Old 12-10-2002, 02:18 PM

Yup.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:29 PM

Don't forget to check your ball joints. .
Old 12-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ebby53
Don't forget to check your ball joints. .
Not sure if you read all the posts here. He said in the very first post he put new rotors on and that he didn't know if the car had inner bearings. Ball joints have nothing to do with his problem. He fogot to put the inner bearings back on the new rotors. Therefore causing lots of slop and play. Ball joints are not an issue here. I am still suprised that 3504mula could even drive the car to begin with. He would have tightened the rotor right up against the dust covers causing some really bad scraping noises. Oh well sometimes it is better to learn the hard way.

Just letting you know ebby53. That's all. I'm not trying to be a jerk or nothing.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:00 PM

Yeah. I'm OK with that. I would think that if he had left out the inner bearing that the rotor (under laod) would not rotate at all. Bad (really bad Ball joints) would cause the top of the tire to run inward and mabe causing the tires to rub as he described. Not sure that with no inner bearing the rotor would rotate at all. Thoughts??...........If your OK, I'm OK...........
Old 12-10-2002, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

I'm fine! Glad you are too. Some of the younger people get a little uptight when you say things to them. Yes the BJ could cause this problem too. But he even admitted that he did not know there was a inner bearing when he replaced the rotors. Therefore meaning he didn't put them back in before installing the rotors.. That's all.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:02 PM

Not sure that he said that in his thread. Said He did not replace the inners. Any way I'm out of here, adios Amigo. Good luck to the guy that posted the original thread.............
Attached Thumbnails inner front wheel bearings?-dcp_0002.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by ebby53
Not sure that he said that in his thread. Said He did not replace the inners. Any way I'm out of here, adios Amigo. Good luck to the guy that posted the original thread.............
Read his first post. Thats exactly what he said. He didnt know if we had them and if we did he thought they might be on the spindle.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:44 PM

I AM THE ONE THAT POSTED THIS!!!!

Okay guys sorry I have not responded I have been at work all day. First of all I do not think my car is the same as all of yours. My rotor and "hub" is an ***'y and when I pulled that off I only saw one bearing (I Believe) on each side. I have now been driving my car for about 10,000 miles like it is. The tires scrubbed before I changed rotors AND after. I guess I should have made that clear. This is what my question was: is there another bearing that I didn't replace and where is it located when I take off my rotor? Like I said it has been a while since I changed the rotors so I don't remember EXACTLY what I saw.
I definitely did not take anything off and not put it back on. I am not the best mechanic and I am only 20 years old. I am learning everything as I go. But obviously you guys are missing something or misunderstanding what I said. I am not missing a bearing or anything else. If I put something together and it sounded worse I wouldn't keep driving it, I would take it back apart.
Anyhow I am not mad at the comments you (even Cruzin Kaz), made. I just wanted to clear things up. I will post this again and be more clear.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: inner front wheel bearings?

When using the used race to install the new race place the thin edge of the used race to the edge of the new race. Hammer only 1/4 of the circumference then knock out the used race and work on the next 1/4. This keeps the entire used race from becoming embedded completely and difficult to remove.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM

Re: inner front wheel bearings?

Originally Posted by windsurfer
When using the used race to install the new race place the thin edge of the used race to the edge of the new race. Hammer only 1/4 of the circumference then knock out the used race and work on the next 1/4. This keeps the entire used race from becoming embedded completely and difficult to remove.
Wow. This thread is from 2002. I am apparently still subscribed to it. My car was sold 10 years ago.
Reading this, it makes me laugh that I didn't realize the bearing was installed in the rotor. And that people thought I was riding around without the bearings.