Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Brake Pedal soft, no leaks, no air, no understanding!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 12:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 with stuffs.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Posi
Brake Pedal soft, no leaks, no air, no understanding!

Ok pretty much I have had this problem ever since I owned the car, and I still can't figure it out... I'm beginning to wonder if the thirdgen is just built like this.

My '90 firebird has (what I think) a "soft" brake pedal. It always has... I never thought anything of it, until I used my bro's car for a while. his '91 olds stops on a dime. So does my mom's '94 buick. My '84 berlinetta, however, has the same "soft" feeling. It just feels like it's not as responsive or sharp as it could be. The master cylinder is about 4 years old (it was brand new when I got the car). I've since put new components all the way around it. New calipers, etc. They have been bled thoroughly, and the brakes really don't lock up like I think they should. Is this a common problem among thirdgens, or just a problem for me?
Old 04-20-2003, 03:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Brake Pedal soft, no leaks, no air, no understanding!

Originally posted by Quick_Trans_Am
Ok pretty much I have had this problem ever since I owned the car, and I still can't figure it out... I'm beginning to wonder if the thirdgen is just built like this.

My '90 firebird has (what I think) a "soft" brake pedal. It always has... I never thought anything of it, until I used my bro's car for a while. his '91 olds stops on a dime. So does my mom's '94 buick. My '84 berlinetta, however, has the same "soft" feeling. It just feels like it's not as responsive or sharp as it could be. The master cylinder is about 4 years old (it was brand new when I got the car). I've since put new components all the way around it. New calipers, etc. They have been bled thoroughly, and the brakes really don't lock up like I think they should. Is this a common problem among thirdgens, or just a problem for me?
I've always thought GM 4-wheel discs suck as far as pedal feel goes. Can't comment on the 1LE brakes, though.

One thing that can make them feel a bit better is to flush and bleed the system regularly. Rubber hose inspection/replacement can help a bit too.

Using the parking brake once in a while to keep the rears adjusted will help too. Personally, I don't use the parking brake unless I really feel the need.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
I had a similar problem and solved it with a combination of things ...

1) Bled brakes until fluid was clear at the calipers
2) Replaced rubber brake lines with SS Earl's lines
3) Replaced the crappy Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads with standard Bendix pads from Advance Auto

The biggest thing on my setup was the crappy PFCM pads. They really were crappy. The SS lines created a very linear firm pedal.

Make sure to get all the air out of the lines. The best way to do this is to use a MityVac at the brake caliper so you can close the bleeder while fluid is still coming out. Also - if you bled your brakes and the master cylinder ran dry then you'll need to use a bench bleed procedure in order to get all the air out of it.

Tim
Old 04-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 with stuffs.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Posi
the master Cyl. has never been dry. That was installed at an auto shop, the previous owners didn't really know too much about car repair. my '90 has drums in the rear too, not discs... I'll keep all this stuff in mind maybe get that rubber line replaced too.