Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Aftermarket Suspension for heavier load - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird T-Tops
Engine: V6
Transmission: Auto
Aftermarket Suspension for heavier load - Need advice

I'm looking to get new springs and shocks that are stiffer. I have a good sized sub and two amps in the back which add some more weight to the car. I had the stock springs/shocks replaced about a year ago at the dealership and it didn't make much difference (and was way more expensive than it was worth). If I drive over a good sized dip in the road with 4 people in the car, the rear springs compress all the way and make a loud sound. I'd like the car to sit at the same level it is now (or even an inch or so higher), and I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money - I just want something that can hold more weight. Is the stuff at Midas any good, or should I look somewhere else? I won't be installing it myself.
All opinions welcome.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.23
You could go with air ride for the rear, but that means youd have to find somewhere to mount a tank..Load levelers like on the pick-ups and vans.

I think you can get custum spring rates from ground control.

Midas probably only carries stock replacement springs and shocks. You can ask if they can check and see if there is a "heavy duty" or a cargo option in your spring choices.

I believe someone not too long ago posted about mistakingly getting cargo springs which made his car ride like a bus. If you search you may be able to find that post.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Moog CC635 springs

Change them yourself, takes longer to jack the car up than the actual spring change takes. Gotta be the single easiest suspension mod there is.

All you do, is jack up the car by the frame, until both rear wheels are a couple of inches off the ground; put jack stands under the frame at the point that the LCAs attach to it; put your jack under the center of the rear end; raise it an inch or so, just enough to take the tension off the shocks; and undo the shock nuts where they hook to the rear. Then lower the rear, and the springs will just fall out.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird T-Tops
Engine: V6
Transmission: Auto
Originally posted by blyth18md
You could go with air ride for the rear, but that means youd have to find somewhere to mount a tank..Load levelers like on the pick-ups and vans.

I think you can get custum spring rates from ground control.

Midas probably only carries stock replacement springs and shocks. You can ask if they can check and see if there is a "heavy duty" or a cargo option in your spring choices.

I believe someone not too long ago posted about mistakingly getting cargo springs which made his car ride like a bus. If you search you may be able to find that post.

That air ride stuff looked good, but I don't think I'm in the market for something that expensive.

What is ground control?

Are there any good websites for this stuff?