Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Best deal on tubular style k member complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 formula, sd,730ecm with $59
Engine: 383/ t-76 turbonetics
Transmission: 700r4 3200 vig converter
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Best deal on tubular style k member complete

Bringing my 1992 formula 383 single turbo back from the dead. Trying to reroute the down pipe I have realized I just don't have the room I need. So now looking into the bmr style tubular k member. So if doing that I should do the tubular a arms. So if doing that rather then spend money and stick crap suspension back I should just go with the coil over conversion on it. Then going to look into big brakes like an ls1 conversion but for now I'll stick to my suspension questions. I am doing this more for room reasons to open up the area where my down pipe goes so looking for the company that maybe has more space if there is one. Weight isn't a big deal they all seem to be close to the same. But I have seen some companies like paracing that are cheaper than say a umi or bmr. I figure if I keep and drive this car more I should make it a better street car with more clearance better brakes suspension and so on. It's been sitting 5 years or so and been looking into new stuff zl1 z28 but this would have to go first and no way sellable like it is so a want it nice when done so worth more over all. It was making 800rwhp on 12 lbs and now doing a cam swap to a turbo friendly cam so in the middle of a ton of stuff on it to make it better. So looking for advice from those that have done these mods lately. Maybe a company that offers the best deal on all the parts in one kit that someone knows of. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Re: Best deal on tubular style k member complete

BMR and UMI will have a black Friday special. I would wait for that sense you're going to spend around a grand on a kmember and arms. I have the UMI kmember and A arms. Fits great.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

I was on the fence with the UMI and the Racecraft Kmember. Both have great reviews and fitment. I went with the Racecraft Moly version only because i got it for like 1/2 price new. The UMI is mild steel and is a double hoop design so its plenty strong but slightly heavier than others. The Moly racecraft is a single hoop and its stupid light, fitment was really good. Mine is not a race car but a show/street car with limited miles and its not a DD. I have a 521 BBF in my car and the Kmember opens up ALOT of space compared to the stock Kmember. Its insane how much more room there is now. If my car was a DD and I wans't looking for the max amount of room I would go with UMI (i have alot of there parts including there old style Aarms) and have always loved there quality. But for a car that isn't DD and your looking for max room Look at the single hoop designs like the racecraft.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by customblackbird
I was on the fence with the UMI and the Racecraft Kmember. Both have great reviews and fitment. I went with the Racecraft Moly version only because i got it for like 1/2 price new. The UMI is mild steel and is a double hoop design so its plenty strong but slightly heavier than others. The Moly racecraft is a single hoop and its stupid light, fitment was really good. Mine is not a race car but a show/street car with limited miles and its not a DD. I have a 521 BBF in my car and the Kmember opens up ALOT of space compared to the stock Kmember. Its insane how much more room there is now. If my car was a DD and I wans't looking for the max amount of room I would go with UMI (i have alot of there parts including there old style Aarms) and have always loved there quality. But for a car that isn't DD and your looking for max room Look at the single hoop designs like the racecraft.
Talking to racecraft and paracing as of now. Trying to get a deal as going all out. K member a arms spindles and coil over kit. Considered the rack and pinion but I started this to get more room on my down pipe and not just to lighten the car. So not seeing a benefit to the rack setup other then weight. Spindles due to going to bigger brakes and coil overs will make more room no springs in that area. Anyone go from a box to rack and see reason to spend another 500 bucks on it? So far looking around 2k to do what I am now.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by lt1z350
Talking to racecraft and paracing as of now. Trying to get a deal as going all out. K member a arms spindles and coil over kit. Considered the rack and pinion but I started this to get more room on my down pipe and not just to lighten the car. So not seeing a benefit to the rack setup other then weight. Spindles due to going to bigger brakes and coil overs will make more room no springs in that area. Anyone go from a box to rack and see reason to spend another 500 bucks on it? So far looking around 2k to do what I am now.
U won't be dissapointed with there quality. My understanding is that the rack gives quicker, smoother and better control over steering but it lacks in tight cornering (doesn't allow as tight of a turn over stock). And the added cost. Depends on the rack but u prob save a ton of room bc u don't need the steering box anymore. Plus it seems like it would be less joints to wear out. Stock is fine for me as I put maybe 500 miles on it every couple of years.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by customblackbird
U won't be dissapointed with there quality. My understanding is that the rack gives quicker, smoother and better control over steering but it lacks in tight cornering (doesn't allow as tight of a turn over stock). And the added cost. Depends on the rack but u prob save a ton of room bc u don't need the steering box anymore. Plus it seems like it would be less joints to wear out. Stock is fine for me as I put maybe 500 miles on it every couple of years.
Anyone that has the rack how do you hook up custom setup to steering wheel or factory from box works? Debating a rack now due to seeming to free up more room and more options to change my down pipe around.