Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

front end rebuild questions

Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end rebuild questions

Front sway bar bushings, which way does the opening in the bushing go, towards front or back?

End links, iirc torque them just until they start to swell with the suspension loaded.

What lube should I be using on the poly bushings, I would prefer something I can buy locally like at Advance Auto.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: front end rebuild questions

Front sway bar bushings, which way does the opening in the bushing go, towards front or back?
Doesn't really matter. Doesn't affect their function. Whichever is eeeeeziest to assemble is fine.

End links, iirc torque them just until they start to swell with the suspension loaded.
Doesn't really matter if the suspension is loaded or not. Proper torque should be where the poly skweeeeeezez out to just barely larger than the washers. You don't want to kill em, but if they're too loose, they start to jingle. Something in between, moderate, as Aristotle said.

What lube should I be using on the poly bushings
Best choice is probably the silicone stuff that the poly bushing mfrs supply. Next best (what I use) is Mobil1 chassis grease. That's what I keep in my grease gun all the time for everything, and it seems to work just fine on all the cars & trucks I have poly bushings on. Once, maybe twice a year, seems to keep em happy.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: front end rebuild questions

Originally Posted by BuiltZ28

What lube should I be using on the poly bushings, I would prefer something I can buy locally like at Advance Auto.
the best grease is the energy suspension lube. It's insanely sticky
Marine grease works as well
it's available from most parts stores
​​​​​​​I use Marine grease on my grease-able poly parts
sway bar mounts
LCAs ex.

Search this Thread