TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Leaking Injector Pod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Injector Pod?

My TBI injector seems to be leaking at idle they both spray the fine mist but one has a small drip that is visible. The only thing is I have tried several injectors and even put in a new one still the same thing a fine mist out of one the other a fine mist and drips. I swapped the injector wires to see if maybe that was it but still the same thing. I have done everything I can think off but replace the pod has anyone seen a the injector pod cause a leak like this.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Leaking Injector Pod?

Hot wire the fuel pump to run with the engine off. Then see if it still drips. Usually there is a red wire pigtail underhood that can be jumpered to the + battery terminal. That will run the pump.

There could be a defect in the pod casting or a nick in an o-ring seat.

RBob.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro rs convertible
Engine: Built ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I second checking the o-rings for cracks or tears, i had a similar problem and it was a bad o-ring
Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Do you recommend putting the O ring on the injector itself then install it or put the O ring in the pod then put the injector in the pod?

Last edited by Flip66; 08-11-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Car: 89 chevy camaro rs
Engine: Tbi 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73s

Originally Posted by Flip66
Do you recommend putting the O ring on the injector itself then install it or put the O ring in the pod then put the injector in the pod?
There is olny one way of doing this and if its done wrong thats your problem.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
Transmission: 700R4 w/ Corvette servo
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen, 3.23, posi, PBR

Rbob - Where's that pigtail typically located? That would have come in handy a while back.

Travis - Which is the right way? I recently rebuilt my TBI and didn't have any problems. But without disassembling it again, I can't say for certain exactly how I assembled the injectors in the pods.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Car: 89 chevy camaro rs
Engine: Tbi 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73s

Originally Posted by 89IROCZ28
Rbob - Where's that pigtail typically located? That would have come in handy a while back.

Travis - Which is the right way? I recently rebuilt my TBI and didn't have any problems. But without disassembling it again, I can't say for certain exactly how I assembled the injectors in the pods.
The injector has two O rings one small for the bottem one large for the top, the injector has a filter on the bottem in witch you slide the small O ring over the end of the injector right under the filter. The injector pod has a grove in witch you place the injecter into and press with a screwdriver, and place the large O ring over the top of the injector and put the metal O ring on top. assemble from there you do just the same to the second injector place the top of the pod on and check for leaks. I had this problem a while back when i thought having 350 injectors would be better for my camaro, "Yes it was stupid" and My O rings were cracked and leaking a stream of gas into my intake.

Last edited by Travis odell; 08-13-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 89IROCZ28
It varys from year to year and engine type. I've seen them on the driver side right by the bank of relays on the firewall. Also on the passenger side protruding from the harness in the heater-A/C box area.

RBob.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Would any type of lubrication of the O rings be advised prior to installation ?

Do the O rings fit into O ring slots within the pod body ?

Would it be advised to place the O rings in place within the pod body then lower the injectors into them ?

Last edited by CamaroRider; 08-13-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Additional data request
Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 PM

just from messing with it last night the first O ring was bad I though maybe I put it wrong so I tried putting the O ring in the pod first. Let me tell you it is not the way to do it will tear it nearly every time you try to force in the injector put the O ring on the injector first if the O ring is good you will be fine.

Last edited by Flip66; 08-13-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRider
Would any type of lubrication of the O rings be advised prior to installation ?

Do the O rings fit into O ring slots within the pod body ?

Would it be advised to place the O rings in place within the pod body then lower the injectors into them ?
I usually put some oil (motor oil works) on the o-rings before install. No slots in the pod. Straight smooth surfaces.

RBob.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 PM

I thought I would post my experience with installing new O rings for my TBI fuel injectors. There are TWO injectors.

I received new O rings this past Saturday. They were made of VITON.

I very lightly lubricated the O rings with motor oil.

Again with motor oil I very lightly lubricated the lower curved lip of the fuel injector, the lower sidewalls and the upper sidewalls.

I placed the lower O ring into the lower section of the injector bowl and made SURE it was laying flat.

I placed the metal ring and the large upper O ring into the upper section of the injector bowl and made SURE they were also laying flat.

I then placed the new filter on the lower section of the injector. There is a beveled surface on the sidewall of the filter that should point down.

I lowered the injector into the injector bowl making SURE it was allowing the protruding alignment 'pin' to fit in the 'cutaway' inside the injector bowl where the pin MUST eventually reside. The cutaways are different in each of the two bowls: One in the front of the injector bowl and the other in the rear of the injector bowl. As I lowered the injector I moved it very slightly clockwise and counter-clockwise so that when the bottom of the injector curved edge met the lower O ring, the injector would center in the O ring and the lower O ring would transition up and around the lower portion of the injector. I then applied moderate pressure straight down and the injector slid into position with a slight 'plop' feel (it 'seated').

I had NO damage to the new O rings.

My attempts to place the O rings on the injector first, then lower the injector did NOT work for me. I had damaged the original O rings experimenting earlier in the week and I could tell when inserting it did not 'feel right'. That is when I switched to the above method and the above method worked the first time and it just had a 'right feel' about it. Others will probably disagree with the method I used but the alternative just was NOT working for me.

I am CONVINCED (through hands on experience) that the use of a very light coating of oil on all of these parts is one of the big keys to having success in this repair without damaging the O rings.

I placed 5 gallons of gasoline in the nearly empty fuel tank (I had replaced the submersed connection hose between the fuel pump motor and the metal fuel feed line inside the tank). I moved the ignition key from OFF to RUN (but did not start the engine). Then I turned the ignition key OFF and waited ten seconds. I repeated that 3 more times. This placed fuel in the fuel line all the way up to the injectors and pressurized the fuel line. I then placed the key in the CRANK position and let it fall back into the RUN position. The engine started and ran as it should. I see no fuel leaking from the injectors after the engine is shut off. The engine has been starting and running very well ever since.

I hope this helps others that have to deal with the injectors.

Last edited by CamaroRider; 09-02-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:24 PM

Car: 89 iroc
Engine: l98
Transmission: tremec

I thought I would post my experience with installing new O rings for my TBI fuel injectors. There are TWO injectors.

Again with motor oil I very lightly lubricated the lower curved lip of the fuel injector, the lower sidewalls and the upper sidewalls.

I placed the lower O ring into the lower section of the injector bowl and made SURE it was laying flat.

I placed the metal ring and the large upper O ring into the upper section of the injector bowl and made SURE they was also laying flat.

I then placed the new filter on the lower section of the injector. There is a beveled surface on the sidewall of the filter that should point down.

I lowered the injector into the injector bowl making SURE it was allowing the protruding alignment 'pin' to fit in the 'cutaway' inside the injector bowl where the pin MUST eventually reside. The cutaways are different in each of the two bowls: One in the front of the injector bowl and the other in the rear of the injector bowl. As I lowered the injector I moved it very slightly clockwise and counter-clockwise so that when the bottom of the injector curved edge met the lower O ring, the injector would center in the O ring and the lower O ring would transition up and around the lower portion of the injector. I then applied moderate pressure straight down and the injector slid into position with a slight 'plop' feel (it 'seated').

My attempts to place the O rings on the injector first, then lower the injector did NOT work for me. I had damaged the original O rings experimenting earlier in the week and I could tell when inserting it did not 'feel right'. That is when I switched to the above method and the above method worked the first time and it just had a 'right feel' about it. Others will probably disagree with the method I used but the alternative just was NOT working for me.

I am CONVINCED (through hands on experience) that the use of a very light coating of oil on all of these parts is one of the big keys to having success in this repair without damaging the O rings.

I placed 5 gallons of gasoline in the nearly empty fuel tank (I had replaced the submersed connection hose between the fuel pump motor and the metal fuel feed line inside the tank). I moved the ignition key from OFF to RUN (but did not start the engine). Then I turned the ignition key OFF and waited ten seconds. I repeated that 3 more times. This placed fuel in the fuel line all the way up to the injectors and pressurized the fuel line. I then placed the key in the CRANK position and let it fall back into the RUN position. The engine started and ran as it should. I see no fuel leaking from the injectors after the engine is shut off. The engine has been starting and running very well ever since.

where did you buy the o rings. I need a set for my sisters tbi
Old 09-02-2008, 08:19 AM

FuelInjectorConnection.com had precisely the correct rings and filters for my injectors. They are in the great state of Georgia.

My 2 injectors are: GM5235279*RPD

My vehicle is a 1989 Camaro 305 FI Vin E (TBI)
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I placed the metal ring and the large upper O ring into the upper section of the injector bowl and made SURE they were also laying flat.

9 years later, this post helped me install the injector back in place correctly. Thank you,

I too, tried to put the o rings on the injectors first, but they leaked everytime. I applied some oil and put the o rings first.

Anyone who is trying to put the injectors in : When you put on the cover, it has to be touching the gasket without much pressure, if it's not then the injectors are not sat correctly.