TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Bad hesitation off idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 GMC K2500 LD
Engine: 350 TBI with some mods
Transmission: NV4500
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Bad hesitation off idle

Ok guys maybe you can give me some ideas to check. It is an 88 pickup, 350, 700r4. I just swapped the engine out of it and am trying to get this truck together enough to sell it. I got it running and it ran good but had a second gear slip. I got a corvette servo in it today and took care of my slip. The problem I am having is if I gun it from an idle it will break the tires loose then it is almost like it dies, no engine sound, no backfire nothing, its like the fuel shuts off. I can either leave my foot in it or take it out and it will come back and run fine alll the way up to 70 without a hickup at full throttle. It just does it off idle and under a load (Pavement) Dirt roads I just spin the tires. I am trying to be cheap with this engine so I don't want to start throwing parts at it unless I know. The truck didn't do it before I swapped engines. I replaced plugs, o2 sensor, rebuilt the regulator while the engine was out. I know my wires are getting weak but it is almost like the fuel shuts off for a second but it will run full throttle up to 70 no problem so I am not thinking it is a fuel filter or pump issue. The engine is bone stock with 5 degrees base timing and free flowing exhaust. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bad hesitation off idle

You'll probably have to increase the fuel pressure, sounds lean.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Its just off idle though like under 3000 rpm. It will run up to 5000 rpm with no problem. All I did with the regulator was replace the diaphragm and some gaskets. There was no problem before and the old engine that was in there had more of a cam, better flowing heads and more compression. I am thinking it is a sensor of some kind. Its not like on a carb when you have a bog off idle. You can still hear the engine firing there is just a big power loss. This is like a total fuel or ignition shut off. Then it will come back and pull all the way up till you let off.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Well I got a chance to mess with it a little bit this morning before turning my garden over getting ready to plant. I plugged my egr port, no change. I was going to pull my IAC and chage it with a spare I have and while I was pulling the plugs to my IAC, MAP, & TPS. I noticed my map plug was full of water (don't ask me where it came from) I cleaned and dried it out. I figured I would forgo pulling the IAC and see if that was my problem. The first full throttle from idle gave me a worse bog than I had before but I did it three more times in a row with no bog. It is doggy but it was always like that. My tranny shifts out of first way too early. I guess I would need a shift kit to fix that. If I pull the TV cable any more it shifts way too late if it shifts at all. I will give it a drive this afternoon and see if the problem comes back.