TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Any help much appreciated 305 crossfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any help much appreciated 305 crossfire

I recently purchased a 1982 pontiac trans am and it has the 305 crossfire,literally motor was in trunk apart with no bolts,i managed thru pictures and the help of many managed to put everything together where it should be,i put a tiny bit of starting fluid and she fires until the fluid evaporates and turns off so I am thinking fuel issue,i changed all fuses under dash replaced fuel filter and in the process of changing the fuel pump relay,there is no good pictures online of where the relay is but I figured thru newer pontiacs it is driver side firewall and the part # is 14039681 and I put it in Google and comes up as relay but still nothing so now fuel pump should I go with an 82,or I heard people go with fuel pump with the tpi because better pressure??Also I heard it is in fuel tank which is no big deal,any advice on what else to do or if the relay is wrong,or if I am looking in wrong spot let me know,this car has been sitting for 15 years outside and the only thing I have seen chewed up is spark plug wires,no other wires have been chewed so far so I am lucky,any help is much appreciated or advice what to do thank you
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Any help much appreciated 305 crossfire

injectors are probably stuck-a couple firm taps on top of the injector between the terminal posts with blunt end of center punch or similar implement usually frees them up also the foam rubber coupler hose between the pump and steel pipe inside tank often turns to goo and falls off...A TPI pump is often used because in can develop more pressure than the original 2 stage turbine pump.Original CFI pressure setting is ~13 PSI.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Thanks I will definitely try that I don't hear anything so I am thinking the fuel pump is junk when I turn the key I have changed everything else fuses,fuel filter and fuel pump relay,do the lines or the foam come with fuel filter or do I have to get them separate,thanks for the help?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 8t2 z-chev
injectors are probably stuck-a couple firm taps on top of the injector between the terminal posts with blunt end of center punch or similar implement usually frees them up also the foam rubber coupler hose between the pump and steel pipe inside tank often turns to goo and falls off...A TPI pump is often used because in can develop more pressure than the original 2 stage turbine pump.Original CFI pressure setting is ~13 PSI.
thank you I will try that I am hoping to have it running soon starting off with a parts car as people would say get something better but this is what I have so I will see it thru alot of good advice from great people on this site and Facebook sites are amazing