TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

idle air control valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS 5-speed
Engine: 305 TBI
idle air control valve

I recently replaced the transmission (t-5 WC) in my 90 Camaro and installed headers. the car wasn't running for about a month. After everything was installed I went to start the car and nothing. I heard the IAC vibrating and when I pulled the valve out the car ran fine but when it was even screwed in the car would stall abruptly. I replaced the valve and still have the same issue... any help would be greatly appreciated. The car is a 90 RS with the 5.0 TBI
Old 06-30-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: idle air control valve

If the IAC was vibrating at key-on, engine-off then something is wrong.

First check the ALDL port, make sure there isn't a jumper between terminals A & B. If not then the ECM is suspect.

If there is an A & B jumper remove it, hold the go-pedal open a little for the crank to run. Once running let it run for a half a minute or so, give it a slight blip of the throttle. Once it returns to idle key-off.

The IAC is now reset. After 10 seconds (or more) of key-off you should be able to crank and start without the use of the go-pedal.

RBob.