Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Turning over fine just not starting..NH

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning over fine just not starting..NH

Been looking through the forum for some information/help on what could be causing this. My 89 Iroc 305 tpi turns over fine but will not start. Was working fine until I starting screwing with trying to figure out how to go about wiring the Radiator fans to come on when the car is on. Now the car turns over like it wants to start but is out of gas. I checked the fuses under the dash already. What else should I check? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks Steve
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56

It has nothing to do with the fan altho you might have inadvertently hit something.

Go back to basics.

Find out if you’re not getting fuel or spark.

Happy Racing!

If People Drove Any Slower They’d Be Going Backwards

Fog lights are not driving lights. Keep em turned off slow pokes.

How bout those dorks too scared to drive without headlights or in the daytime!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)
Re: Turning over fine just not starting..NH

dude my car is doing the same thing. I had to get it towed. I checked everything. fuses and what not. Im going to try to start it up this morning but im dreading it. I replaced the plugs wires. i got my ignition control module tested. i tested resistance on coil and pickup coil all good. i noticed my distributor was moving the bolt was loose. im going to time to 6 degree btdc bypassing computer. I had to also replace the Fan switch its a Thermistor between 6 and 8 cylinder. the connector broke TOO. i soldiered a new pigtail in also. The fan switch turns on fan(s) when it 230 ish. I know how to work on cars i just hate testing a troubled car in front of neighbors especially when it doesnt start, how embarrassing.. Neighbors were like" oh look at that kid working on his car for a week, why doesnt he just take it to a shop, he crazy for crawling up in the engine compartment. i dont think he knows what he's doing, oh look that crazy kid is still trying to fix his car, doesnt he work" its get old, i just want to starre them in the eyes, while i turn over the engine and it fires up. BROOOOM, TAAAA. BROOOOOOOOM TAAAAAAA> and yell YAA big F***** t*ties
Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM

i got it running now. The neighbors were like, " whoa stand back, big boy is back." I think general maintenance, plugs, wires, sanded cap and rotor, check all ignition parts.. and sensors. MY theory was that the the vibrations from the catalytic converter was false triggering the knock sensor and retarding the timing. that created incombustible fuel fowling plugs, also the wires were leaking. Too much anti seize caused shorts at the tips of the plugs. I used to gap .035 now im told .045......after timing it. it gives out a lower tone. well i ordered the legal cat from magna flow, fingers crossed. but heck now it runs, Big F***** T*ties
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 PM

its not running anymore. i came to a stop and it died. threw code 42. i restarted it. then it died when i put it into park. i got it towed. the neighbors were like" i knew he couldnt do it" im going to get a ignition control module, hopefully that works. if not then it a definate pickup coil definate. i had the same problem years ago. i just hope its not the knock spark controllor ESC.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

have you checked the fuel pressure? does it stumble when you tried to drive it?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM

i checked the fuel pressure, it rises to the set point but slowly drops after the prime, takes about 1 minute to drop. i know i know, the fuel pump check valve, the hose, leaky injectors, hole in diaphram. I replaced all that 18 months ago. but its dropping because the hose has self tightening clamps on. but even with the small drop, it should work. i thinking coil maybe pickup. but i went ahead got a ignition control module, coil, pickup coil, and going to minor rebuild the dizzy again, 3 years later. (CHEAPAUTOZNE HAA) the cap is good and rotor. last time when i rebuilt the dizzy i had slop. it was spark scattering. I got shims and shimed it out to gm specs. workd hella good. but years go by and miles add up. the coil had be energized a million times prolly, ignition module too. the part comes in at 2:30, i post after my rebuild and ill take pics, rebuilding the dizzy takes 5.3 beers J/k
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM

i replaced the pickup coil, coil, and ignition control module. it works, so its not a fuel pressure problem. It has power, and runns great now. finally, i not going to drive it until i replaced the cat, i dont want to mess it up. im thinking the ticking from the converter is false retarding the Knocksensor, so im going to wait until the swap tomorw. il post pics