Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc-Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Please Help

I have a 89 TPI stock. So my car has been idling rough lately almost to the point where it turns off, but it doesn't. People told me to clean the IAC and I did that but the problem continues. I have an SES light which gives me code 33 and 36, both related to the MAF. Could my car idle rough because of the MAF?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: garbage 2.73
Re: Please Help

Yes, yes it very well could idle rough because of the MAF. The MAF meters the air going into the motor, then constantly sends that info to the ECM to adjust fuel mixture. Its a pretty big player in idle operation. Try this.....with the engine running at operating temperature, disconnect the electrical connector from the MAF. If the car keeps running, the MAF is bad. If it shuts off, then more than likely your MAF is fine.

I would also suggest making sure all lines are connected to your throttle body. Theres a small EGR line underneath the TB, the PCV on the passenger side, and a line going to the charcoal canister beneath the PCV port. If all of these are connected fine, (along with the rest of your vacuum system, particularly ALL pcv lines) then try adjusting the idle setscrew to open the TB valve a little. My car is a little uncooperative after I disconnect the battery, and each time I have to reset the idle screw so the TB valve is closed, start the motor, then adjust the screw until I like how it sounds. You may have to do the same with yours.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kcallais
Yes, yes it very well could idle rough because of the MAF. The MAF meters the air going into the motor, then constantly sends that info to the ECM to adjust fuel mixture. Its a pretty big player in idle operation. Try this.....with the engine running at operating temperature, disconnect the electrical connector from the MAF. If the car keeps running, the MAF is bad. If it shuts off, then more than likely your MAF is fine.

I would also suggest making sure all lines are connected to your throttle body. Theres a small EGR line underneath the TB, the PCV on the passenger side, and a line going to the charcoal canister beneath the PCV port. If all of these are connected fine, (along with the rest of your vacuum system, particularly ALL pcv lines) then try adjusting the idle setscrew to open the TB valve a little. My car is a little uncooperative after I disconnect the battery, and each time I have to reset the idle screw so the TB valve is closed, start the motor, then adjust the screw until I like how it sounds. You may have to do the same with yours.
Thanks for all the info. I recently swapped to a 350 and my mechanic left the MAF relays unconnected. I'm not sure if I connected them properly. If I didn't could that be causing this problem?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM

So I turned on my car and it was idling at like 1600 rpms, I let it warm up and I disconnected the MAF wire and the idle dropped to 900 rpms. Does this mean the MAF is bad?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Engine shoud die when maf is un plugged.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 PM

So does this mean I definitely need a new MAF?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:03 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s

Do you know anyone with an 87, 88, or 89 305 or 350 TPI ? If yes, borrow it for 2 minutes.

Also, if you are serious about this car, buy a scanner so that you can "see" what the ECM is "seeing". Recently, my MAF went bad, but I thought that it was bad fuel injectors. The MAF was always reporting high flow numbers even though the car was idling (trying to idle) in the garage.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by doc
Do you know anyone with an 87, 88, or 89 305 or 350 TPI ? If yes, borrow it for 2 minutes.

Also, if you are serious about this car, buy a scanner so that you can "see" what the ECM is "seeing". Recently, my MAF went bad, but I thought that it was bad fuel injectors. The MAF was always reporting high flow numbers even though the car was idling (trying to idle) in the garage.
That's what I was thinking. Too bad I don't know anyone around here with a MAF third gen.