Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

tilt wheel, ignition switch, high beams, horn all broken. should i replace column

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5 stick
tilt wheel, ignition switch, high beams, horn all broken. should i replace column

I just picked up a 1990 RS manual a few weeks ago and have been slowly working out the kinks.

The next problem i have on my checklist is the many problems the steering column has.

I am pretty sure this car has either been stolen or the owner lost the key once upon a time because the steering column has been ripped through on the left side.

Ok on to the problems:

Tiltwheel: there is a little pin with a hole for a screw in the middle of it that pretty much holds the wheel in place, it allows me to pull the lever and play with my tiltwheel, occasionally this pin will pop out and my steering wheel will be a floppy mess.

Ignition switch: in order for me to start my car, that tiltwheel pin has to be in place, aligning my steering wheel enough to where i can push on to this metal bar thing while turning the key allowing my car to start

Hi beams: my turn signal switch just freely moves back and forth, no hi beam action at all.

Loose wire and lose metal bar thing: i have a loose white wire that has an end for a connector i cant seem to find a home for. There is also a little metal bar that seems like i goes to the turn signal but i cant seem to find a proper home for it either.

Conclusion: with all these problems, will it be simpler to replace the entire steering column? Is there seperate pieces to the steering column, like a higher and a lower piece that bolts together to save me from having to rip the whole column out? I will have pictures up right now
Old 09-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Re: tilt wheel, ignition switch, high beams, horn all broken. should i replace column

Pic 1 shows that metal bar, the one that kinda loops,i have to align that with a metal bar that has a groove on it while turning my key to startup.

Pic 2 shows me holding the metal "peg" that holds the steering wheel in place, when driving this "peg" will shoot out, without it the tiltwheel spring flings my steering wheel to the right kinda dangerous while driving. Without it i am also unable to align that metal bar from pic 1 thus keeping me from starting up

Pic 3 shows my finger on that metal bar i mentioned toward the bottom of my original post, you can also see the white wire at the bottom of the pic going off the camera... can find a home for these things
Attached Thumbnails tilt wheel, ignition switch, high beams, horn all broken. should i replace column-cam00685.jpg   tilt wheel, ignition switch, high beams, horn all broken. should i replace column-cam00688.jpg   tilt wheel, ignition switch, high beams, horn all broken. should i replace column-cam00690.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 10:29 PM

Re: tilt wheel, ignition switch, high beams, horn all broken. should i replace column

For some reason the last 2 pics rotated sorry
Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by sparkplug619
I just picked up a 1990 RS manual a few weeks ago and have been slowly working out the kinks.

The next problem i have on my checklist is the many problems the steering column has.

I am pretty sure this car has either been stolen or the owner lost the key once upon a time because the steering column has been ripped through on the left side.

Ok on to the problems:

Tiltwheel: there is a little pin with a hole for a screw in the middle of it that pretty much holds the wheel in place, it allows me to pull the lever and play with my tiltwheel, occasionally this pin will pop out and my steering wheel will be a floppy mess.

Ignition switch: in order for me to start my car, that tiltwheel pin has to be in place, aligning my steering wheel enough to where i can push on to this metal bar thing while turning the key allowing my car to start

Hi beams: my turn signal switch just freely moves back and forth, no hi beam action at all.

Loose wire and lose metal bar thing: i have a loose white wire that has an end for a connector i cant seem to find a home for. There is also a little metal bar that seems like i goes to the turn signal but i cant seem to find a proper home for it either.

Conclusion: with all these problems, will it be simpler to replace the entire steering column? Is there seperate pieces to the steering column, like a higher and a lower piece that bolts together to save me from having to rip the whole column out? I will have pictures up right now
You pretty much answered your own question , but Hell Yea buy a good used column and go with that . Where you describe yours as having been smashed in on one side in attempt to circumvent the key , loose at the tilt mechanism , and with broken switches added in , a good auto recycling yard column will run ya maybe $100 to $150 . You'll need to deal with the Vats as it doubtful the replacement column will come with the correct key for your vats module but that still seems easier than fixing all you say is wrong with it now .
Old 09-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

You might luck out and find one with the key!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4

Swap you key cylinder into the column you get, then you have the right key
Old 09-22-2014, 09:10 PM

To the yunkyard i go.. im correct in assuming the columns are universal throughout the various years of thirdgen camaros?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

No they are not universal. Off hand here are some differences (but don't quote me):
  • 82-83 wiper motor differences
  • Later years include VATs which use resistor keys.
  • Manual vs. auto. I haven't seen many manuals though. Auto has a lock out for the shifter so I'm not sure if you can get around that.

Best bet is if you have local Upulls as they are cheaper. Some list current cars online w/ prices, and also offer guarantees. Patience is helpful as well.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 AM

Thank you for that info. I do have a 90 with a t-5 which sucks cuz im sute there arent many t-5 maros out here in the junkyards but this problem is not keeping my car from running so although ill have an eye on every junkyard in san diego, i wont anticipate having a new column as I am anticipating a vortec 6000 or larger
Old 09-23-2014, 02:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

This is my first Camaro and my column was the same way.

I absolutely love my tilt wheel, especially with a 13 1/2" Grant.

Just make "sure" there is "no" wobble at the tilt mechanism .It should be nice and solid or you will be digging into that column to fix it.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 09-23-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sparkplug619
Thank you for that info. I do have a 90 with a t-5 which sucks cuz im sute there arent many t-5 maros out here in the junkyards but this problem is not keeping my car from running so although ill have an eye on every junkyard in san diego, i wont anticipate having a new column as I am anticipating a vortec 6000 or larger

If your 90 has an airbag , and if your required to not circumvent that airbag due to California regulations (pretty much universal among ALL states is that your not legally allowed to circumvent safety equipment on street cars) then you will need a column from at least 90 since 89 and prior had no airbag . As long as it's a 90 , 91 , or 92 it should fit and then all you'll have to deal with is the VATS .
Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Supreme Member

PS , you may want to do further research on this , but , I think it will be easier to use a column from an auto shift car in a manual than it would be to use a manual shift column in an auto shift car . Don't take this as gospel but I think I remember reading threads here of guys having to do just that , using a auto column in a manual car due to the far greater availability of the auto column than the manual one in the junkyards .

Good Luck with it
Old 09-29-2014, 12:15 AM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: L31
Transmission: 700R4

You are better off repairing the column you have. You have a three year only column and you have both vats and an airbag.