Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

SBC 350 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SBC 350 questions

Hi all, I'm currently finding parts for a dry sumped, twin turbo 383 stroker and was wondering will I have room for a pair of intercoolers for the turbos in the engine bay? Will I even need intercoolers if I go with tbi instead of multi-port efi? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 RS Camaro
Engine: 400 sbc throttle body
Transmission: world class t5 manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73's, Detroit TrueTrac
Re: SBC 350 questions

Running twin turbos on a tbi motor would be stupid. Not trying to be a jerk I am just being blunt. Even a TIP wouldnt be the smartest decision. Either go carb or just do an LS. Good luck trying to fit all that crap in the engine bay (with intercooler) not saying it cant be done but you better be one hell of a fabricator.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: SBC 350 questions

To answer your question, an intercooler cools the compressed air coming from the turbo(s) therefore the induction system is really irrelevant to whether you need an intercooler or not. The turbo(s) will compress and therefore heat the air which it sends to the induction system. Running a carb with turbo(s) creates its own set of problems due to the way a carb meters fuel. Port injection is probably best followed by TBI then carb. JMO!