Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Timing tab issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 350 Chevy crate
Transmission: automatic
Timing

I hope someone can help me,I have a 350 crate motor and had a to reuse the original harmonic balancer due to pulley alignment.The shop used the older timing tab(2:00 position) and my 86 Camaro use the 12:00 tab.Does anyone know how can I fix this?Im thinking timing tape but don't know where to put it.Open to any suggestions other than removing the balancer,Thx in advance
Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Timing tab issues

If you can observe the keyway in the crank snout, that is in line with the #1-2 crank throw TDC. You can static time the engine using that as a guide then install the timing tape so that the indicator shows TDC wherever your timing tab might be. In other words, align the keyway perpendicular to the block deck for the left bank and install your tape accordingly. You can check the absolute position of the #1 piston TDC by removing the spark plug and inserting some sort of feeler, like a drinking straw (nothing that will damage the plug threads or piston top).

With a stock timing chain cover and stock timing tab, the TDC groove in the outer hub of the balancer is (according to my closest measurement) 7° retarded from the broached keyway in the balancer hub for the older style timing tabs.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

can you use a 12 o'clock pointer? might have to trim the 2 o'clock one off?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...e2-_-mr-gasket
Old 07-03-2017, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 350 Chevy crate
Transmission: automatic

Thx for the info guys,I was trying to fix it the quickest way without having to remove items,like mounting a timing tape correctly using the mark on the harmonic balancer as a reference.Might have to ordered the correct tab and install.