Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Maintenance schedule.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance schedule.

Does anyone know of any books or online sources that show the maintenance schedule for these cars (specifically my '89 350)? I just hit 70k and got to wondering. There's nothing in the manual, and I have been unable to find anything with Google. My other car just has it all listed in the back of it's manual.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Maintenance schedule.

Pickup a (paper) copy of the factory service manual on eBay. Theres tons of them for cheap.

GD
Old 09-11-2017, 01:41 AM

Where are they cheap? Everything I'm seeing is upwards of $80.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:59 AM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 bolt with 3.27

No Mike they are not what I would consider cheap either but the factory shop manuals will more than pay for themselves if you intend to turn your own wrenches.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 AM

I don't even have a space to work on anything, just want to know the maintenance schedule.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Not to be a jerk but what good does it do you on a 30 year old car? It's not like you need to follow manufacturers specs to stay within the warranty. Most of us on here do our own maintenance based on how we utilize the vehicle. You have to find out what works for your car and your lifestyle. Some guys don't put more than 500 miles a year on their car but I highly doubt that they go 6 years without changing the oil. My suggestion is if you have something specific that you want to know about toss it out to the group. The folks here are awesome and very knowledgeable. Chances are someone has had the same questions at one time or another. The search tool is also invaluable.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by Mike Delong
just want to know the maintenance schedule.
These cars are at least 25 years old. Everything on them needs examined and replaced if necessary. Almost assuredly the springs, shocks and struts need replaced. Probably a few of the rubber joints if not all. Wheel bearings will need to be repacked, Pads and rotors changed. U joints are probably OK. Power steering fluid, transmission fluid and Brake fluid (like the rest of the cars in the world) probably have the original fluid and need changed. Spark plugs, plug wires and Serpentine belt should be changed. Just pick what system you want to start with and have at it.

Last edited by Tibo; 09-11-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

As a general rule, I try not to make a habit of scanning documentation. It's always a pain in the butt, getting a legible scan, cropping to size, rotating, putting the pages in order, and so on. But I figured this is a small leaflet. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how long it took to put this together and get it online where it's accessible.

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/c9HPNNav/file.html is the 1989 Camaro Maintenance Schedule supplement. Enjoy.

BTW, I'm with most everyone else in this thread. It's not a new car, it's not currently 1990. They were only general guidelines to begin with. Lubricant technology has changed. By the book an 89 Chevy shouldn't even still be driving. The original maintenance schedule really isn't applicable aside from general curiosity.

Chances are if you haven't flushed the radiator, flushed the brake fluid, serviced the trans, and rear end, you are far far far overdue.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM

I get the whole thing about it being old and all that. I just have a tendency to forget about certain more long-term maintenance like PCV valves and Trans flushes without a visual reminder/reference. Generally guidelines are all I really needed as a starting point for forming my own schedule.

I just got the car in July at 68k, just rolled it over 70k and was wondering what I should start keeping track of. I did the oil and fuel filter when I got it, but that's it so far. Thanks for the file.

Last edited by Mike Delong; 09-11-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

Where are they cheap? Everything I'm seeing is upwards of $80.
That's cheap for what you get. Back when you still could get paper manuals in the late 90's on newer stuff, it was not unusual to pay $300 to $400 for a full set of manuals for a single model, single year.

Everything is digital now. Most manufacturers started going partially digital in the mid 90's and by the early 2000's everything was digital and printed manuals went away completely.

When you consider the raw size of these volumes, and what the printing costs must have been (they have ultra thin pages - almost tissue paper thin), and how few they actually sold, they are exceptional bargain for what you get. That's about the cost of 4 Haynes manuals and you get probably 50x more information. Also accurate information. The first time you run into a difficult electrical issue the manual will pay for itself.

If $80 for some documentation scares you, you're in the wrong hobby.

GD
Old 09-12-2017, 07:07 AM

Mike, you are a lot like me in that your car is fairly new to you. What I did was go through all of what I would consider the consumables. Oil, fuel, brakes, tranny, rear end, belts, hoses, plugs, cap & rotor, ect. You have to assume that it all needs to be done since you have no idea the current condition. Do what you can and keep picking away at the non-critical items until you have a baseline for everything completed. In other words, if you just changed the oil you know that you are good for awhile. You can then begin to build your own maintenance schedule based on how you utilize the car. As you drive it you will be able to determine what needs to be addressed next.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
That's cheap for what you get. Back when you still could get paper manuals in the late 90's on newer stuff, it was not unusual to pay $300 to $400 for a full set of manuals for a single model, single year.

Everything is digital now. Most manufacturers started going partially digital in the mid 90's and by the early 2000's everything was digital and printed manuals went away completely.

When you consider the raw size of these volumes, and what the printing costs must have been (they have ultra thin pages - almost tissue paper thin), and how few they actually sold, they are exceptional bargain for what you get. That's about the cost of 4 Haynes manuals and you get probably 50x more information. Also accurate information. The first time you run into a difficult electrical issue the manual will pay for itself.

If $80 for some documentation scares you, you're in the wrong hobby.

GD
$80 is an absurd amount of money to pay for a book. I wouldn't pay any more than $30 for one.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

$80 is an absurd amount of money to pay for a book. I wouldn't pay any more than $30 for one.
Having been a software engineer, and had to buy many professional technical manuals and textbooks.... It's not even close to absurd. You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.

I laid out exactly why the cost is what it is, and your response is that it's absurd? Really?

Sorry that reality sucks so bad for you. As I said, you should probably find a different car/hobby. Just wait till you have to pay someone with real skills to work on it! Us competent mechanics charge $80 for about 45 minutes of our time. Good luck with that.

$80 won't even buy one of my ratchets.... friend, you got a major reality check coming.

GD

Last edited by GeneralDisorder; 09-13-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 257 Likes on 148 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73

$80 Is A Bargain.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
Having been a software engineer, and had to buy many professional technical manuals and textbooks.... It's not even close to absurd. You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.

I laid out exactly why the cost is what it is, and your response is that it's absurd? Really?

Sorry that reality sucks so bad for you. As I said, you should probably find a different car/hobby. Just wait till you have to pay someone with real skills to work on it! Us competent mechanics charge $80 for about 45 minutes of our time. Good luck with that.

$80 won't even buy one of my ratchets.... friend, you got a major reality check coming.

GD
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I just found one on ebay for 29.99 shipped. Proof that $80 is absurd. I don't care what's in it, I'm not paying $80 for a 30 year old bundle of paper. I've paid lots before to have work done on cars. It's well worth the price for quality parts and talent. For a book? Not really. If I wanted to spend over inflated prices for paper, I would go get a liberal arts degree.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

You never said what car you have!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Here's a CD FOR $25.00 = http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-1989-19...5YoOBU&vxp=mtr

I have a Chilton's Manual for mine that has been used extensively for over 10 years now and shows it.

It has the basics and its fun to read. (Yes, I'm weird like that).
Pick one up at your local auto parts store for about the same price as that CD.

If your going to own a Third Generation Camaro or Firebird your going to need them.
That and a steady cash flow to keep it on the road.

I have replaced and or fixed every single "bolt on" and screw "in" item there is to my "89" 5.0 TBI engine.
Including every other serviceable item there is on the car just to keep it on the road.

Just as many, many, of us has had to do.

That's one of the reasons its hard to get any love complaining about a book.

These cars will not only hit you with big ticket items but nickel and dime you to and early grave.
Sad part is I love my car so much I will most likely be berried in it.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 09-13-2017 at 10:48 PM.