Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Positive battery cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Positive battery cable

Hey everyone . Say I got a question I got a 92 Camaro z28 5.7 TPI and I'm trying to find a positive battery cable the same as the stock one . Someone sometime ago cut the cable end for some reason and I know some of you are saying just go to the parts store and get one well my problem is the one on the car has two main cables on the positive post one runs to the alternator and I'm sure the other one runs to the starter and there is also a small wire as well . And it seem all the parts stores don't carry it . So I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find one.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Positive battery cable

The only way to get one vaguely like the factory cable, would be to buy the terminal, boot, cable, and fittings and build the cable from scratch. The factory cable has been discontinued for 20 years.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:05 PM

Hey Drew. Thanks for the info I was hoping that wasn't the case. Well I guess I will have to make one thanks again.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 92 RS / 90 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 / 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Non-Posi / Posi - Both GU2 - 2.73

Originally Posted by 79Daytona
I guess I will have to make one.
before you go building cables i'd STRONGLY encourage hitting a local JY and find a GM truck from the early 90's. The cables are thicker and you WILL find the OEM ones w/ the little red wire that goes to the junction block and the 2 fusible links you need. I found em for about $2ea.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:34 PM

Will do 92RS but with the junkyards around here that could be a long shot but it's worth a try . I'll check them out tommrow.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Be wary of using 20+ year old cables from a wrecking yard. In many cases moisture will wick inside causing corrosion and a huge increase in resistance. You can also have abrasions along the sides reducing insulation. You also can have the connectors coming loose (also increases resistance) or damaged fastener threads (decreases conductivity in some cases). Personally I'd just rather make my own cables. You can buy cables in whatever gauge with however fine strands in whatever insulation (I favor the marine grade cables) in however many feet you want.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 AM

Hey Tibo and thanks for the info . Like I said founding one around here at what junkyards there are would be a long shot at best so I'm already working on a plan to make one.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

You can get the GM terminals and boots from Mouser or even Summit has an American Auto Wire kit with two terminals and boots. They're easy to find on Ebay too, even though I'd personally look elsewhere, because F Ebay. Point is the GM parts are easy to find. The terminals come in a couple different sizes for the wire gauge. Crimp the terminal to your new wire, if you're belt + suspenders kinda guy, heat up the joint with a torch and flow solder into the joint, then slip the boot over, good to go.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:29 AM

Hey Drew. Thanks for the info me and a friend of mind made a positive battery cable for his Jeep just like what you said so when I get all the parts together that's what I'm going to do. I really don't understand why GM discontinued this part for the Camaro it doesn't seem make sense to me.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by Drew
... though I'd personally look elsewhere, because F Ebay.
A side discussion I know but eBay ain't all that bad. They are huge in the fight against federal laws on internet sales tax. As long as the product you're buying is new and from a larger seller AND you know what you are buying eBay is a pretty good space. I know once you get into the "used item" auctions it's a whole other world...
Old 06-29-2019, 02:16 PM

I agree I have gotten some good deals on ebay on new parts but I would stay away from the auctions . I only go to the used item if I have no other way and even then I'm very cautions before buying.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

The problem with Ebay is systemic. It's a core set of policies that put scammers and dishonest people in a position to take advantage of people unchecked. For small sellers, Ebay is bending them over the barrel. As a result, you've got inexperienced sellers, who don't know, and you've got the high volume, import junk dealers, that get away offering crap service because they make enough sales, that negatives don't impact their metrics. As a buyer you're pretty much covered, but you're still supporting a corrupt company that's getting rich off of making their sellers miserable.

I'm putting my efforts into moving my selling off Ebay, and I'm not buying on Ebay anymore either. What with their screwed up search algorithms lately, you can't find what you're looking for anyway. They've got it so fouled up now, that partial search terms no longer show applicable results. For example, used to be able to search "92 Camaro brakes" and if someone had something listed as "1992 Camaro brakes" or "92 Camaro brakes" both would show up, but now the search will omit that 1992 because it's not 92. Then there's the "Best match" setting, and the "We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings. - View all results" non-sense. Bottom line is Ebay is filtering results behind the scenes, and throttling sellers based on some hidden algorithm. Personally I'm just sick of the lack of control over my own sales, sick of being forced to offer 30-day returns, free returns, free shipping, sick of Ebay funneling all attempts by my customers to contact me through a cue of questions that places high priority on starting returns instead of letting them just ask their questions. There's a lack of transparency and abuse that I just can't support anymore.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Wire Mire

It’s good to assemble your own because you will learn skills that will apply to future repairs or mods.

But for those that want to complete the pit-stop and get back out there:

ACDelco 88865105 Assembled

Summit Racing or the supplier of your choice.

Happy Racing !

If Your Communications Antenna Is Not Shaking At Idle, Your Cam Is Too Mild