Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ecm power routing question/problem

Old 02-04-2002, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ecm power routing question/problem

ok.. I'm just wondering how sensitive the wiring to the ecm is? on the back of the firewall on the pass side there's a cover where the fuel pump fuse & relay is located.. there's also some screw terminals.. now the far one is actually I think an 8 or Gauge wire that comes from the batt.. I believe it powers the ecm.. gm had it running down and along the frame with the starter wire .. I didn't like that so when we put the engine in I ran it up alond the fender and up the big wire loom that goes to that terminal.. would this affect any sensor readings at all? I don't belive so but I thought I'd check..

thanks
Old 02-04-2002, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ecm power routing question/problem

Originally posted by JeffC1500TBI
ok.. I'm just wondering how sensitive the wiring to the ecm is? on the back of the firewall on the pass side there's a cover where the fuel pump fuse & relay is located.. there's also some screw terminals.. now the far one is actually I think an 8 or Gauge wire that comes from the batt.. I believe it powers the ecm.. gm had it running down and along the frame with the starter wire .. I didn't like that so when we put the engine in I ran it up alond the fender and up the big wire loom that goes to that terminal.. would this affect any sensor readings at all? I don't belive so but I thought I'd check..

thanks
The only real concern when dealing with the ecm (or any computer really) would be to use the same guage of wire, and keep the lengths as close to stock as possible. As long as you're not adding unecesarry resistance (read - huge lengths of wire), or in any other way changing the voltage measured at the computer (sometimes the values looked for by the computer have VERY little room for error, hence the problems folks seem to have with grounds to the ecm and such) there should be no difference at all. I'd say you're good to go.