Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Rough idle, dies after giving gas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' Z28
Engine: 355-Supercharged
Transmission: 700R4
Rough idle, dies after giving gas.

I just put on my bbk TB today and my polished plennum (the car had been sitting for 2 months prior since it's winter) and after i got everything back on i go to start the car and there is a loud whining noise, and erratic idle. So i go to push the gas and it almost dies completely. I tried to set the min air, but it would not idle lower than 1K rmps, no smoke out of the tail pipes or anything of that nature. My trustly A/F guage said i was running lean. Every once in a while when i gave it gas there would be a loud air sound (sounded like lots of air was being forced through the air box) what does that mean. I got a check engine soon light, but i dont have a tool to find out what code it is, any suggestions ???

When you disconnect the brown wire for the timing, it should be right on the mark correct ? after you plug the wire back in the timing advance comes on and raises the timing past the marker..... is that correct, or is somthing wrong ???
Old 03-07-2002, 07:07 PM

I had a similar problem with a pickup.
It would idle normally, but when I had put it into gear and slowly raised the rpms to drive off, the pickup died.
The problem was that the throttle body had some "foreign" buildup around the throat and that circular plate and the air filter needed replacing. The engine wasnt getting enough air for the higher rpms. You could say that the pickup was gasping for air.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:19 PM

If your car was 89 oe earlier I would say check your MAF sensor or MAF connection...because that's what it soundslike. If it's speed density, maybe your MAP sensor isn't hooked up...just a guess.

Take a paper clip and connect the A&B terminals of the ALDL connector. (The top far right two slots). Do this with the ignition on, car off, and the SES light shoul flash 12 (once, twice) 3 times...then give you your problem codes.

This thread may apply...https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...threadid=89628

Last edited by Little GTA; 03-07-2002 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: Canfield 195 headed 358ci
Transmission: TH350, Art Carr 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 3.92 Dana 44
Re: Rough idle, dies after giving gas.

Originally posted by 91Z28
I just put on my bbk TB today and my polished plennum (the car had been sitting for 2 months prior since it's winter) and after i got everything back on i go to start the car and there is a loud whining noise, and erratic idle. So i go to push the gas and it almost dies completely. I tried to set the min air, but it would not idle lower than 1K rmps, no smoke out of the tail pipes or anything of that nature. My trustly A/F guage said i was running lean. Every once in a while when i gave it gas there would be a loud air sound (sounded like lots of air was being forced through the air box) what does that mean. I got a check engine soon light, but i dont have a tool to find out what code it is, any suggestions ???

When you disconnect the brown wire for the timing, it should be right on the mark correct ? after you plug the wire back in the timing advance comes on and raises the timing past the marker..... is that correct, or is somthing wrong ???

Before testing all those millions of sensors look at the simplest thing first.. You had peices of your intake off, now you hear a whining noise and have idle problems? VACUUM LEAK. Find where the whining noise is coming from. Check the plenum, tb, EGR, FPR, etc.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:05 PM

Car: 91' Z28
Engine: 355-Supercharged
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks for all you reply's, ill try and check for vac leakage, i would today but unfortunatly we just got a nice blizzard....... swell, that blizard compliments my new cracked dash...... *** i hate the damn winter........