Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Lost to a Porsche 911 Carrera (my friend driving)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 03:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual
Lost to a Porsche 911 Carrera (my friend driving)

It's a midnight blue 1995 993 (the last of the aircooled 911's). It's midnight blue with a blue hood and it is a lovely car. Anyway, we were always bench racing and on Saturday night we stopped the talk and took to the roads.

He followed me for about 6 miles, just cruising whilst I was warming the IROC up.. We pulled off the dual carriageway and went up this 2 lane hihway I know of with traffic lights in the middle of it.

Now before I go any further, the temperature hadn't gone above 7 degrees all day and being 7pm, the roads were more than a little slippery.

We went up this road and I couldn't beleive my eyes as the ligts turned red right in front of us. He pulled up alongside me and we sat out the lights. I engine braked the IROC (stupidly) and the lights went green. He had already gone (jumped on the amber) I think I went more sideways than straight and whilst the POSI was fighting a loosing battle with my Cooper Cobras, he had about 8 cars on me!!! When I finally got the back doing its job of providing grip, he was still pulling on me but not by much... I was so annoyed. We then blasted down this country road up to 120mph and there was little in it.

On the return leg, we were lucky enough to get the same lights again... I couldn't believe my luck! This time I wasn't going to let myself down.. or so I thought. If anything this launch was worse. I span, backed the gas off to get traction, then once I had some floored it again. It dropped down to first again and I span!!! 3 gearchanges instead of the one and loads of rubber...

We drove back at a steadish speed, another race wasn't neccesary, enough had been done. The Porsche having its engine in the back was a massive advantage. To give him credit he drove a good race.

He put it down to the excess pounds in the IROC (though I don't think there is much in it!) and grip (definately). I was annoyed. If I had lost and driven my best than fair enough. But I mucked up... the roads were far too slippery, it was pretty dangerous to drive at all.

I look forward to the re-match!!

------------------
'86 IROC ZZ4
Holley 750 dp, Shorty Headers, BW POSI 3.27 rear, Southside sfc's, Probuilt 700r4, Hurst Dual Gate Shifter.
Best Run 13.8 @ 100mph- far more to come!
London-England (Brothers In Arms)
British Firebird/Camaro Site

[This message has been edited by ZZ42Fast (edited December 10, 2001).]
Old 12-12-2001, 02:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual
Bttt.