Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

90 Iroc with paxton s/charger, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990
Engine: 350 TPI, Paxton S/C
Transmission: TH350
90 Iroc with paxton s/charger, need advice

Hello,
New to the forum here. I'm working on my boss's Iroc he bought new in 1990. Shortly after he bought it he had guys install a Paxton supercharger and never ran right for him and it's been parked all these years after he had the engine redone from sucking sand in the intake.

Now I've been trying to reconfigure everything, redid the Paxton and brackets, added a boost gauge as well as an Air fuel mixture gauge but neither one seem to function right. In one of the pics, shown is where I have the boost gauge sensor threaded into, not sure if it's right?

The car seems to run really lean and died on the way to the paint shop in the fall. I was suggested to wire in a stand alone system as well as larger injectors and better fuel pump. Can anyone point me in the right directions? Thanks
I really appreciate it,
-Wes

attached pics of car
1 -car
2 -engine & supercharger
3 -Air fuel sensor location
4 -gauge pillar pods
Attached Thumbnails 90 Iroc with paxton s/charger, need advice-dscn2391.jpg   90 Iroc with paxton s/charger, need advice-dscn2388.jpg   90 Iroc with paxton s/charger, need advice-dscn2395.jpg   90 Iroc with paxton s/charger, need advice-dscn2393.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Re: 90 Iroc with paxton s/charger, need advice

Oops, I think I posted in the wrong thread
Old 06-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4

The paxton kits came with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a water injection kit back in the day. The kit ran only 5psi unless a different pulley was purchased.
your boost gauge should work fine where its plumbed. Where is the afr gauge connected?
Also is the pcv system still connected to the plennum?
Is this a 305 or 350?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the reply, and Moderator we can move this thread if you'd like thanks.

The car has 350 with a TH-350 trans with true dual exhaust. The A/F sensor is in the drivers exhaust side, the passenger side does have an O2 sensor but is disconnected and unable to locate the factory connector side yet. And yes the PCV is still plumbed into the intake plenum.

Yesterday I was reading in the old instruction book about the water injection and the car has no signs of one installed and the fuel pressure regulator looks stock, so missing parts is a mystery. He had it installed in the early 90's the first time. The water injection and the regulator is a must have for the Paxton, correct?

It does have a boost retard dial on the dash, not sure if it works or how to test it, I do see the knock sensor on the engine block has an additional connector, and the factory knock sensor connector is tied up so I'm assuming this is the boost retard?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Paxton included WI kits on all 3rd gen superchargers until about 1994 or so - then they used MSD Boost retard. The WI kit was essentially an additional washer pump plumbed into the stock washer pump reservoir (or even hose) and used a boost-only switch to activate it. Kits from Snow or AEM today are light years ahead of the old WI, but do cost $.

Two of my buddies bought Paxton TPI kits new back in early 1991 and that is how they were setup. One of the cars - an 87 Formula 350 would run 12.8 at 109mph on drag radials - the only thing faster at that time were heavily modified GNs.

Originally Posted by Lokee
Thanks for the reply, and Moderator we can move this thread if you'd like thanks.

The car has 350 with a TH-350 trans with true dual exhaust. The A/F sensor is in the drivers exhaust side, the passenger side does have an O2 sensor but is disconnected and unable to locate the factory connector side yet. And yes the PCV is still plumbed into the intake plenum.

Yesterday I was reading in the old instruction book about the water injection and the car has no signs of one installed and the fuel pressure regulator looks stock, so missing parts is a mystery. He had it installed in the early 90's the first time. The water injection and the regulator is a must have for the Paxton, correct?

It does have a boost retard dial on the dash, not sure if it works or how to test it, I do see the knock sensor on the engine block has an additional connector, and the factory knock sensor connector is tied up so I'm assuming this is the boost retard?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the replies, helped me answer some questions for sure. I want to get subframe connectors installed and I'll play around with tuning some more.